The Student Room Group

Training Contract Applications 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by b3k3b3k3
x

I agree with the networking point.
There's a big push for diversity and fairness in the recruitment process and an appreciation that not everyone will have access to certain networks. The results of this means that impressing at the application stage seems to be the key. Many firms even do CV blind interviews. So it's HR staff deciding who goes through not lawyers/partners at this stage!

I was given advice to use my uni to connect with partners and told lies about them going to HR and changing rejection emails (can you believe this claim lol)

I questioned said person about the tactics she presented smh. At the entry level they've really tried to level the playing field.
It does make me wonder how she got her TC though...
Hey there. You mentioned that you had an interview with Links. How long ago did you submit the WG test? Thanks
Original post by FEeeeeeeeeez
Hey there. You mentioned that you had an interview with Links. How long ago did you submit the WG test? Thanks

I’m guessing this is directed at me? I completed it in mid December and received the interview invite 3 weeks later. This was before the deadline rush though so I’m guessing things will be slower now.
Oh alright. Thanks for the feedback
Networking is a skill. If you do it properly, it is extremely beneficial for your career. I do agree, however, that it is of limited utility for entry level positions. More often than not, it is poorly executed and you just reek of desperation. You neither want to be the shrinking violet nor the guy giving out his name card (unsolicited) to everyone he meets and taking every opportunity to sing praises about the firm. Cringe.
Does anyone know when we’ll hear back from Freshfields / Dentons (TC) ??
If you just got an interview invite, can I ask when you sent your application?
No news from Freshfields. Would have expected test invites to be sent out by now but haven't heard of any yet from others that have applied.
Original post by b3k3b3k3
I have just received a TC offer from an MC firm which I am likely to accept so looks like it's the end of the journey for me. I just wanted to leave a few words of encouragement/tips because I really could have used them.

I would definitely say it's a numbers game. Try to send out as many (high quality) applications as possible. Sacrifice your sleep and social life if you must. There is definitely an element of luck too. Also, don't be discouraged by rejections, I have received plenty. Each firm is looking for something different so if you get rejected by one firm, it does not necessarily mean you will be rejected by another. Send out a good number of applications across a range of firms. Also, try to emphasise what makes you different from everyone else. This can be your background or non-legal work experiences you had etc. If you don't have any, put yourself out there and say yes to different opportunities. Finally, this may be an unpopular opinion but networking, particularly for big firms with structured recruitment processes, is not as helpful as you think it will be. Spend those extra hours working on your application or developing an interesting skill.

I wish everyone the best of luck!

Congratulations! I'm wondering, just out of interest, how many rejections did you get before this offer, at what stage (application, AC), and is this your first year applying for training contracts?
Reply 149
Does your Freshfields portal say updated with a date recently?
I had a VS interview with them if you would like me to tell you about that? :smile:
So I was given an article and asked questions about it, and asked to justify my thoughts etc. They try to push you in a corner and you have to stick to your guns and explain your logic, even if it's a difficult issue (I've heard that some people sometimes get human rights stuff).

The one thing that we actually spent a lot of time on which surprised me was talking about choices, especially as I am a non-law student (which if I remember rightly, you are, too?). They asked me to justify why I picked XYZ A-Levels, my degree, why I'd picked my university, and what did I think I could contribute to law because of these decisions, as well as the more general questions about why commercial law and what did I envisage the working environment to be like.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Original post by ELA2019
Congratulations! I'm wondering, just out of interest, how many rejections did you get before this offer, at what stage (application, AC), and is this your first year applying for training contracts?

Thank you! This is my first year of applying. For both direct TCs and VSs I did get a large number of rejections at application stage, but have not received rejections at AC stage. As a percentage, I would say at least 50% of the firms I applied to rejected me at application stage, but I had secured a VS and progressed to the next stages e.g. telephone interview/online tests for other firms (hence my comment that it is a bit of a numbers game). Hope this is helpful, and don't let the rejections throw you off.
Did you get the invite today?
Reply 154
Does anyone have any tips on CC AC ?? thanks
Hi, I have an AC for DLA Piper this coming week, it's for the VS but sort of also for the TC as the way I understand it, there is no further formal interview process for a TC after you've done the VS, right? Does anyone have any tips/advice for a DLA Piper AC or failing that, just any advice for an AC full stop?! I have never been to one before and so any guidance would be gratefully recieved!
Original post by Unconventional.
Hi, I have an AC for DLA Piper this coming week, it's for the VS but sort of also for the TC as the way I understand it, there is no further formal interview process for a TC after you've done the VS, right? Does anyone have any tips/advice for a DLA Piper AC or failing that, just any advice for an AC full stop?! I have never been to one before and so any guidance would be gratefully recieved!

Did an AC at DLA Piper last year. I think it includes a group exercise (you will be observed by 3-4 people from the firm, make sure your voice gets heard but don't patronise people / don't overpower others / try to include people who do not speak up as much). Then you're given an article/case study that you have to read, make notes on, and present to a partner - my suggestion is: use the A2/A3 paper you're given to prepare a clear slide with the important info and present using it. Finally, you have an interview with a senior person in the firm - they will ask the classic behavioural questions and mark your answers on the spot (they do have a grading paper in front of them, if I remember well). Friendly firm, the overall process was great.
Any tips on Links AC?
Reply 158
Has anyone got any tips/updates on their application for BCLP VC or TC?
Hey, does any one have any tips or knowledge on Leigh Day TC application and AC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending