The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow uni - UCAS clearing

Hi :smile:

I am considering applying to the University of Glasgow through clearing (I missed the UCAS deadline).
However, I only got 32 points in my IB, which is their minimum requirement.
Has anyone else been admitted to Glasgow through clearing, and if so, how many points did you have?

Also, i would really appreciate it if someone told me more about what Glasgow uni is like, aka the lectures, the societies, sports, etc.

Are you an EU applicant or overseas fees? Glasgow had no spaces in clearing in 2018 (or earlier years) for EU students.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you an EU applicant or overseas fees? Glasgow had no spaces in clearing in 2018 (or earlier years) for EU students.

I’m an EU student
Original post by samiontheroad
I’m an EU student

Because Scottish universities have caps on scottish/EU places then there are very few (or no) clearing spaces most years. :frown:
If clearing is the only option you have then I recommend having some good alternative options (Northern Ireland, Wales, England universities)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Because Scottish universities have caps on scottish/EU places then there are very few (or no) clearing spaces most years. :frown:
If clearing is the only option you have then I recommend having some good alternative options (Northern Ireland, Wales, England universities)

Thanks for that :smile:
But unfortunately Scotland is my only option, because I can’t afford studying in England or Wales

But I already have my place secured in Aberdeen - but I studied there before and wasn’t happy at all, so I just wanted to look into different Unis
Original post by samiontheroad
Thanks for that :smile:
But unfortunately Scotland is my only option, because I can’t afford studying in England or Wales

But I already have my place secured in Aberdeen - but I studied there before and wasn’t happy at all, so I just wanted to look into different Unis

If you’re limited to Scotland then don’t wait until clearing. Talk to universities now about whether they will consider late applications and get your application to them this month.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
If you’re limited to Scotland then don’t wait until clearing. Talk to universities now about whether they will consider late applications and get your application to them this month.

The thing is that the only other university I’m considering I’m Scotland would be Glasgow.
I don’t see myself at any of the other Unis, I can’t get into Edinburgh, and I also think that by applying normally through UCAS, I wouldn’t get into a Glasgow either - because I only meet the absolute minimum requirement, plus then I’ll be a late applicant.
Also, i don’t have someone to write me a reference, so even if I were to apply, I couldn’t get it to the Uni before the end of February.
Hi, what do you want to study? Have you considered Stirling university? I currently go there, had the options of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh and am glad I chose Stirling. It's a lovely campus, friendly and welcoming. I am within the arts and humanities dept and the lectures are good. As a mature student I don't stay on campus so can't comment on the accomodation. There is lots on site and it is a short bus ride to the city (yep Stirling is a city, a small one), Glasgow and Edinburgh are just short train rides away.
Reply 8
Original post by rosemadder
Hi, what do you want to study? Have you considered Stirling university? I currently go there, had the options of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh and am glad I chose Stirling. It's a lovely campus, friendly and welcoming. I am within the arts and humanities dept and the lectures are good. As a mature student I don't stay on campus so can't comment on the accomodation. There is lots on site and it is a short bus ride to the city (yep Stirling is a city, a small one), Glasgow and Edinburgh are just short train rides away.

I haven’t considered Stirling, because to be honest, I want to study at a University with a higher ranking (at least as high up as I can with 32 points), because I didn’t study during school at all and want to do my masters in Edinburgh.
So the higher up my Uni is, the more likely I am probably to get into Edinburgh.

I know it might sound shallow to choose a university because of its ranking, but Edinburgh is really important to me and I want to do everything I can to have better chances of getting in.

I think I’ll just fly to Scotland some time soon and visit Aberdeen to see how I feel about it and if I could be happy there for the next four years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending