The Student Room Group

NHS bursary (medicine) and reduced maintenance loan

Would really love some help from you guys at SFE.

Im an english student (studying in Wales) who is going to be entering my 5th and final year of the course in August 2019.

I am aware I am eligible for the NHS bursary (both for my fees and some maintenance). Would I still receive any form of maintenance loan from SFE alongside this?

I have heard about reduce maintenance loans from SFE for NHS bursary students in their final years of medicine but know very little about how this works. What roughly would i be entitled to?
Original post by Mutmit287
Would really love some help from you guys at SFE.

Im an english student (studying in Wales) who is going to be entering my 5th and final year of the course in August 2019.

I am aware I am eligible for the NHS bursary (both for my fees and some maintenance). Would I still receive any form of maintenance loan from SFE alongside this?

I have heard about reduce maintenance loans from SFE for NHS bursary students in their final years of medicine but know very little about how this works. What roughly would i be entitled to?

Hi,

When did you start this course? And in what subject?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi,

When did you start this course? And in what subject?

Regards,
Nihad

Hi,

I started my course in September 2015 and it is a 5 year medicine degree (so i will be going into 5th year this aug/september).
Original post by Mutmit287
Hi,

I started my course in September 2015 and it is a 5 year medicine degree (so i will be going into 5th year this aug/september).

Hi there,

Did you move to Wales in order to study this course, or were you living there beforehand?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Did you move to Wales in order to study this course, or were you living there beforehand?

Warm regards,
Graeme

I moved to wales to study and lived in england before then.
Hi there,

Alright, based on what you've said you may be eligible to received a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from us. We'd recommend that you login (or create) an account with us and apply: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Let us know if there are any problems.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 6
Hi there,

Alright, based on what you've said you may be eligible to received a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from us. We'd recommend that you login (or create) an account with us and apply: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Let us know if there are any problems.

Warm regards,
Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for that. Its nice to know I may be eligible for the reduced rate loan.

I was wondering whether I would have to already have applied for my NHS bursary to apply for the reduce rate loan? Or can I apply now in anticipation. I am aware I wont be able to apply for the NHS bursary until mid-march as applications have not opened yet.

Do you also have any idea how much the minimum loan is for a final year medical student? I am aware it is not means tested so it will likely be a set rate?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there,

You don't need to have been awarded any NHS support to apply with us (the applications will open by the end of next month, by the way)

Assuming you're not studying in London, the maximum loan you an be awarded is £1862

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 8
Hi there,

You don't need to have been awarded any NHS support to apply with us (the applications will open by the end of next month, by the way)

Assuming you're not studying in London, the maximum loan you an be awarded is £1862

Warm regards,
Graeme

Thanks for all of your help.

Best wishes, Natalie
You're welcome, Natalie!

Thanks - Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending