The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rejected for not having an A* in Maths - Is it too late to ask to switch courses?

I applied for PPE with a 32 ACT, 1550 SAT, 770 SAT Maths II, A*A*AA Predictions (Econ, French, Maths, History), and a 'good' personal statement (was accepted into KCL and Warwick 1-2 weeks after applying). I was rejected solely for not having an A* in Maths (I was told this by one of the tutors).
I was wondering if I could ask them to consider me for an economics related course that requires AAA. I could provide reasoning as to why I would choose LSE specifically, what I can bring to the college, and why this course would interest me (even though my PPE personal statement should suffice). Am I able to do anything?

EDIT: Also I have used all 5 of my UCAS Slots.
There is no provision to change one of your options after you have been rejected. You can try Adjustment although that happening may be slim.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by GandalfWhite
There is no provision to change one of your options after you have been rejected. You can try Adjustment although that happening may be slim.

LSE don't participate in Adjustment.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE don't participate in Adjustment.

Original post by GandalfWhite

My college is holding mock exams in the first week of March, and we get the results on the weekend of that week. If I get an A* in my Maths mock I will be "predicted" an A* in Maths. The tutor from LSE notified me that I was ONLY rejected because of my grade in Maths; so could it be reasonable to ask them to reconsider my application if I get an A*?
Original post by Lidl Pump
My college is holding mock exams in the first week of March, and we get the results on the weekend of that week. If I get an A* in my Maths mock I will be "predicted" an A* in Maths. The tutor from LSE notified me that I was ONLY rejected because of my grade in Maths; so could it be reasonable to ask them to reconsider my application if I get an A*?

I think you should contact them as ask whether it is possible to be considered for another course. Just listen to what they have to say, but stress the point that you have a strong application and wont mind being considered for another course. All the best.

I don't think they will change their mind.

Why are you so desperate to do any course at LSE rather than your chosen course of PPE at other good universities?
It is very unlikely LSE will change their mind as they are vastly oversubsribed and are turning away lots of people. Time to accept the decision and go elsewhere or take a gap year and try again next year although there is no guarantee you will get in.
Original post by swanseajack1
It is very unlikely LSE will change their mind as they are vastly oversubsribed and are turning away lots of people. Time to accept the decision and go elsewhere or take a gap year and try again next year although there is no guarantee you will get in.

I don't think they will change their mind.

Why are you so desperate to do any course at LSE rather than your chosen course of PPE at other good universities?

I don't understand why you lot are discouraging the OP. I think he should be allowed to try and see what is possible rather than convincing him that it is not.
Original post by Wired_1800
I don't understand why you lot are discouraging the OP. I think he should be allowed to try and see what is possible rather than convincing him that it is not.

I'm not. And my last question is important.
I'm not. And my last question is important.

That’s fair.

I don't think there's any provision in UCAS to do that but there's nothing to stop you from trying with Admissions directly. Nothing to lose really.
I applied for PPE with a 32 ACT, 1550 SAT, 770 SAT Maths II, A*A*AA Predictions (Econ, French, Maths, History), and a 'good' personal statement (was accepted into KCL and Warwick 1-2 weeks after applying). I was rejected solely for not having an A* in Maths (I was told this by one of the tutors).
I was wondering if I could ask them to consider me for an economics related course that requires AAA. I could provide reasoning as to why I would choose LSE specifically, what I can bring to the college, and why this course would interest me (even though my PPE personal statement should suffice). Am I able to do anything?

EDIT: Also I have used all 5 of my UCAS Slots.

Hey OP did you hear anything back from LSE?
Reply 12
If I get above 90% in all my Maths mock exams I will ask to get my predicted grade increased and offer to send LSE my exam papers. Other than that I'll stick to UCL & my US universities.
Reply 13
If I get above 90% in all my Maths mock exams I will ask to get my predicted grade increased and offer to send LSE my exam papers. Other than that I'll stick to UCL & my US universities.

U got in into UCL

Hi, did u get an offer from UCL even without an A* in maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending