The Student Room Group

People should have to earn the right of having children

This idea is not a response to concerns of overpopulation. I simply think that a lot of people bring children into this world in very unfavourable conditions which leads to increased crime, violence, substance abuse, you name it.

Opinions?

Edit: because there's been a lot of feedback about the impracticality of the idea i'd like you to respond to the question with the assumption that it can be done. This is a purely theoretical matter and i do not want practicality to be a factor in deciding for an answer
Edit2: if, for whatever reason, you are unable or unwilling to engage in a hypothetical conversation then don't bother replying as this is the whole point of the discussion
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How?

And what would you do to 'unapproved' children?
Reply 2
How is this "right" earned?
Reply 3
The matter at hand is not how you would enforce such a rule. This is purely theoretical as in, would you agree or not and why so?
This will be interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Chioru'
The matter at hand is not how you would enforce such a rule. This is purely theoretical as in, would you agree or not and why so?

That is the matter at hand, whether or not you agree with a rule like that comes down to how that rule is enforced - especially given the very easy ways for it to be circumvented.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
That is the matter at hand, whether or not you agree with a rule like that comes down to how that rule is enforced - especially given the very easy ways for it to be circumvented.

China managed to enforce a similar rule if you're that focused on the "how"
Reply 7
Well, it would be great to prevent Africans, south Asians, and the poor from making so many babies, but people don't have a fertility switch that you can activate like that.
Reply 8
Original post by Chioru'
China managed to enforce a similar rule if you're that focused on the "how"

So you're advocating state euthanasia for all city or town based couples?

Like China, would you allow rural families to have more than 1?
Reply 9
But generally when you want to do something you first think if it's worth doing it and then how would you do it. Take it as this was at the point of "is it worth doing", simply assuming that it can be done.
if we lived in such a world you wouldn't exist, op
Original post by Chioru'
But generally when you want to do something you first think if it's worth doing it and then how would you do it. Take it as this was at the point of "is it worth doing", simply assuming that it can be done.

Why deal with pointless hypotheticals?

The world has enough problems, wasting time on solutions that can't happen is idiotic.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Why deal with pointless hypotheticals?

The world has enough problems, wasting time on solutions that can't happen is idiotic.

I'm not here to solve the world's problems and, by replying to this question with this answer, neither are you. Also, many things that were thought to be impossible turned out to be quite the opposite. You never know where the world is heading.
Original post by Chioru'
I'm not here to solve the world's problems and, by replying to this question with this answer, neither are you. Also, many things that were thought to be impossible turned out to be quite the opposite. You never know where the world is heading.

You still haven't answered how they would earn the right, regardless of what happens if they don't.
Original post by Drewski
You still haven't answered how they would earn the right, regardless of what happens if they don't.

Immigration points system like Canada or Australia; based on education, income, language proficiency, work experience, criminal record etc. Children cost points, 200 for one child, 600 for two, and exponentially increasing to reflect the added pressure of more.

But ... totally unenforcable without infringing on the rights and freedoms that make up most western societies, so moot lol.
‘Selective breeding’. So, who would you select to breed? As if I didn’t know the answer.
So you believe eugenist than
A better solution is to incentivise childlessness through subsidies, pay people to not have kids.

I would also support the notion of those with genetic abnormalities to be heavily disuaded from reproducing.
well then people should have the right to earn having sex.

see, i can make dumb statements as well
Original post by Chioru'
This idea is not a response to concerns of overpopulation. I simply think that a lot of people bring children into this world in very unfavourable conditions which leads to increased crime, violence, substance abuse, you name it.

Opinions?

Edit: because there's been a lot of feedback about the impracticality of the idea i'd like you to respond to the question with the assumption that it can be done. This is a purely theoretical matter and i do not want practicality to be a factor in deciding for an answer
Edit2: if, for whatever reason, you are unable or unwilling to engage in a hypothetical conversation then don't bother replying as this is the whole point of the discussion

I'm not so sure I agree with how you've phrased it as "earning the right". Maybe if it could be done (I'm ignoring practicality like you here) more of an application process? Fill out forms (as you do in life) and submitting them and then the government approves you or doesn't for having a kid, whether that's naturally, through adoption etc. So people won't have to earn the right but they need "permission" as such.

Again of course it isn't practical but in an ideal world where everything is practical and possible, I wouldn't be opposed to this idea.

Quick Reply

Latest