The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster for design?

Hi everyone;
I was hoping for a little more information about the Design programme at Lancaster, if anyone has any experience with it - I have a few questions:
Are there exams? Or is the assessment through coursework (like most design courses)?
Is the course more theory or practical based?
And how does it differ to say, a graphic design course (what I've applied for at other universities)?
Thanks a lot!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi @widesinder,
My name is Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student. I can't answer any specific questions about your course, but you may notice on the website there's a button saying 'ask a student'.
You might be able to chat to a design student - they'll be honest and should be able to answer questions about your course! https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
I think it'll be worth keeping in mind you may have to take a minor with design, giving you the opportunity to study another subject in first year.
If you have any specific questions about the uni, please let me know!
Charlotte :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Hi @widesinder,
My name is Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student. I can't answer any specific questions about your course, but you may notice on the website there's a button saying 'ask a student'.
You might be able to chat to a design student - they'll be honest and should be able to answer questions about your course! https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
I think it'll be worth keeping in mind you may have to take a minor with design, giving you the opportunity to study another subject in first year.
If you have any specific questions about the uni, please let me know!

Thank you! Do you know if the options for minors are limited (i.e something within the same department) or can I choose any subject?
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by widesinder
Thank you! Do you know if the options for minors are limited (i.e something within the same department) or can I choose any subject?
Thanks again :smile:

In general I believe you can chose any department, provided you have the entry requirements e.g. if you wanted to do Maths then you'd need an A in A level Maths or equivalent.
I think most departments prefer that you chose within your own department, or at least faculty, but I know that marketing and design is a popular combination.
And obviously it all depends on timetabling! Sometimes two subjects will clash too much so it's best to not avoid them.
Let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 5
Original post by widesinder
Hi everyone;
I was hoping for a little more information about the Design programme at Lancaster, if anyone has any experience with it - I have a few questions:
Are there exams? Or is the assessment through coursework (like most design courses)?
Is the course more theory or practical based?
And how does it differ to say, a graphic design course (what I've applied for at other universities)?
Thanks a lot!

The UG programme's page says it's 82% assessed by coursework.

I'd recommend getting in touch with LICA and asking for a copy of the syllabus/course handbooks, so you can get a better idea of the coursework and assessment.

In terms of how it differs, the 'Course Structure' page on the LICA website shows the various modules offered. I'd say the course is a mix of design disciplines and topics, rather than with a singular focus on any one area (like graphic design), although placing design in an applied societal context seems to be a thing at LICA (see 'Design Interactions' modules).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending