The Student Room Group

Is this a bad job?

I’ve been offered an interview for a cleaning job at a school near me. I think it’s a great opportunity, it’s 3-5pm, weekdays and the pay is £8/hour.
But my parents think it’s a bad job and I should do something like tutoring or receptionist etc.
And I’d love to, but the hours for those jobs are crazy, they work on weekends and have late nights. And I want it to be more free.
Should I listen to my parents and find another one?
It’d be my first job.
As I said in another thread, the crap jobs make you grow as a person. You're unlikely to move out at your age presumably, so you can go for a job that doesn't pay well while still gaining work experience
Reply 2
Money is money my friend. At the end of te day your not selling yourself or scamming anyone so who cares? Its an honest job.
It depends partly on what you qualify for? You shouldn't settle for something too low below your professional capabilities. Take a long-term perspective as well. The hours for this other job might be crazy now, but consider its future prospects versus those of a cleaning job
Original post by Rachana.L
I’ve been offered an interview for a cleaning job at a school near me. I think it’s a great opportunity, it’s 3-5pm, weekdays and the pay is £8/hour.
But my parents think it’s a bad job and I should do something like tutoring or receptionist etc.
And I’d love to, but the hours for those jobs are crazy, they work on weekends and have late nights. And I want it to be more free.
It’d be my first job.

It's ideal this job if you are still in education, but when you go into a proper job you can't just expect to work week days, lots of jobs require weekends now as well.
Original post by Maven Writers
It depends partly on what you qualify for? You shouldn't settle for something too low below your professional capabilities. Take a long-term perspective as well. The hours for this other job might be crazy now, but consider its future prospects versus those of a cleaning job

I’m a first year A-level student right now so apart from GCSEs, I haven’t really got anything. Tutoring companies probably won’t let me join bc I don’t have any experience. And I physically do not have the hours unless I forego my study time which would be detrimental since I already procrastinate a lot and the subjects I do aren’t very lenient.
Original post by Rock Fan
It's ideal this job if you are still in education, but when you go into a proper job you can't just expect to work week days, lots of jobs require weekends now as well.

This is definitely just for now, once I’m out of school, then I’m free whenever but right now, I have limited time.
Original post by Fekky.
Money is money my friend. At the end of te day your not selling yourself or scamming anyone so who cares? Its an honest job.

That what I’m thinking, I need to start saving up if I want to achieve hlaf my goals of travelling and I want to be self-reliant. I don’t like having to use my parents money for a luxury good that’s just for me, especially since they do so much already.
This is definitely just for now, once I’m out of school, then I’m free whenever but right now, I have limited time.

Well there you go if you are still in school then the job you have now is ideal.
Original post by hello_shawn
As I said in another thread, the crap jobs make you grow as a person. You're unlikely to move out at your age presumably, so you can go for a job that doesn't pay well while still gaining work experience

I’m mainly in it for the experience and growing and realising that I have responsibilities and learning to just manage the things in life, work load and money wise.
Hopefully the interview goes well.
Any job is good for a first job.

I would recommend you read up on the relevant health and safety legislation to stand a chance of getting the job, the most impost being COSHH (Control of Substances Hazourdous to Health) when dealing with cleaning materials.
Sounds ideal tbh. A lot of people think they're too good for cleaning jobs but money is money at the end of the day and at least you actually have a work ethic. The hours suit you and it's better than minimum wage so I see no problem with it.
It’d be my first job.

If it provides you with some money and it's what you want then go for it. It will also give you an idea as to whether it's for you or not. As an adult I can understand your parents wanting better for you but the only way to learn in this world is to have a go
I assume you're studying? If you are then these hours are great as it's regular but wouldn't interfere with your work. If you're not studying and this is you working for a living then I would possibly suggest that more hours would be preferable, but as a way to get into the world of work it's not bad at all tbh.
It sounds like it might be perfect for your current circumstances. Would the 3pm starts clash with any of your lessons? Don't forget travel time, time to get changed etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending