The Student Room Group

Moving out with 3 others, Is £200 enough for internet?

I'm going to be moving out with 3 others, so in total there will be 4 of us, I was just wondering, would £200 for 12 months (£17 per month) be enough to get a good internet.

-We do have lots of devices and will likely be streaming videos often
-We are likely going to download big files from time to time but not often.

what would a good internet speed be?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Far more than enough. I got loads of devices at home and get tv including bt sport, broadband and calls for 55 quid a month. 200 is hugely overkill.
Reply 2
it's £200 for 12 months, a lot of the internet speeds here is like 10Mbps. How is 10Mbps for you?
Reply 3
Original post by Guru Jason
Far more than enough. I got loads of devices at home and get tv including bt sport, broadband and calls for 55 quid a month. 200 is hugely overkill.

*£200 for 12 months :'(
£17 per month T_T
Original post by joyoustele
it's £200 for 12 months, a lot of the internet speeds here is like 10Mbps. How is 10Mbps for you?

Oh 200 per year. T hats what 17 a month which is good I feel.. I'd aim for 20Mbps minimum to avoid any problems.
Does anyone have virgin media and would anyone recommend it
if you are going to be watching HD movies and play online game on console. I would 1000% get fibre broadband you will need it especially if all 4 of you plan to use the internet at the same time. this will cost you at least 25£ a month. but if you don't mind buffering and lag and are on a budget 17£ will just about be enough for standard broadband
Reply 7
*£17 for 12 months :frown:
£17 is enough for sufficient speeds to download/stream from multiple devices.
My household currently pays £23/month for around 40Mbps and there's 6 of us in the household (landline & broadband).

This was a new contract with Vodafone.

You'll just need to shop around but there are definitely deals that will suffice for your needs for the £17/month that you have.
Reply 9
17 all together, out budget that we have been allocated is £200 for the whole year. But we wont be moving in for 3 months of that whole year, therefore we would only need the internet for about 9 months, there doesnt seem to be anyproviders that do 9 months though, so it seems 12 months is our only option...so 200/12 which gives us the 17 per month as a whole (for 4 people).
Why don't you use Google and search for student deals?

https://www.bt.com/broadband/student-deals
Original post by joyoustele
17 all together, out budget that we have been allocated is £200 for the whole year. But we wont be moving in for 3 months of that whole year, therefore we would only need the internet for about 9 months, there doesnt seem to be anyproviders that do 9 months though, so it seems 12 months is our only option...so 200/12 which gives us the 17 per month as a whole (for 4 people).

I believe BT are the only company to do 9 months but you'd actually end up paying more than a 12-month contract so it's really not worth it.
Yes, we are students
All the contracts i see are 12 or 18 months :frown:
I will try and search for a 9 month one
It's also worth noting that providers usually charge a one time start-up/joining fee.
Varies from company but it's usually around an additional £10-£30.
Original post by JaredzzC
It's also worth noting that providers usually charge a one time start-up/joining fee.
Varies from company but it's usually around an additional £10-£30.

Yh, from what I see we will probably have to add a bit of extra money on top of the £200 we are given
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending