The Student Room Group

Help with maths question

I just did an A Level maths question and would like to know the answer as the mark scheme is definitely not correct. Please DM me if you would like to help!

Scroll to see replies

The question is about trigonometry by the way!
Please can someone help?
Don't keep bumping your thread if it has been less than 24 hours, it takes it off the unanswered thread list which means it's less likely to be answered.
You'll also need to post the question and your working so far if you want an answer, as per the maths posting guidelines :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Don't keep bumping your thread if it has been less than 24 hours, it takes it off the unanswered thread list which means it's less likely to be answered.
You'll also need to post the question and your working so far if you want an answer, as per the maths posting guidelines :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for telling me :smile:

Question is the height of a triangle is 7cm and the width is 4cm. The largest interior angle is x. The area of the triangle is 10.5cm^2. What is tan(x)?

I've got an answer so would like to see what everyone else got, but don't want to just say it incase it influences other people's answers.

I'll post my working out once I find out how to...
This is a picture of the triangle to help

https://imgur.com/a/WYi4Xas
Original post by Goldfish4343
This is a picture of the triangle to help

https://imgur.com/a/WYi4Xas

Could you post your working so far
Thanks for telling me :smile:

Question is the height of a triangle is 7cm and the width is 4cm. The largest interior angle is x. The area of the triangle is 10.5cm^2. What is tan(x)?

I've got an answer so would like to see what everyone else got, but don't want to just say it incase it influences other people's answers.

I'll post my working out once I find out how to...

No problem :smile:

People won't be posting full solutions though since this is also against the guidelines.

So to start you'd want to draw the triangle out, and label the height, width and angle X :smile: I assume width is the length from the furthest point left of the triangle to the furthest point right?

If you want to post your answer you can post it in a spoiler so people can't see it straight away like this [noparse]

Spoiler

[/noparse] :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure 7 is the height of the triangle and not the side length
Original post by Incarcarus
Are you sure 7 is the height of the triangle and not the side length

I meant side length. I have uploaded a picture with it on
Original post by Lemur14
No problem :smile:

People won't be posting full solutions though since this is also against the guidelines.

So to start you'd want to draw the triangle out, and label the height, width and angle X :smile: I assume width is the length from the furthest point left of the triangle to the furthest point right?

If you want to post your answer you can post it in a spoiler so people can't see it straight away like this
[noparse]

Spoiler

[/noparse]
:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fine with people not posting methods. I am fairly confident with how to do it but I just don't know if I've actually done it.
I meant side length. I have uploaded a picture with it on

So using the equation 1/2 ab sin c = area you can substitute

Replace with sin x
So using the equation 1/2 ab sin c = area you can substitute

Replace with sin x

I'm fairly sure how to do it, I just want to check the answer which I have.
I'm fairly sure how to do it, I just want to check the answer which I have.

Show your final answer and I can check if it's correct, this seems like a gcse question tbh
Show your final answer and I can check if it's correct, this seems like a gcse question tbh

I got -1.1. This doesn't seem correct to me, but I think know what I should be doing at least.
I got -1.1. This doesn't seem correct to me, but I think know what I should be doing at least.

I got positive 1.1

Does it say that x is the largest interior angle because that doesn't sound right
(edited 5 years ago)
I got positive 1.1

Does it say that x is the largest interior angle because that doesn't sound right

Yep. The only way that I got +1.1 was if x was less than 90, which it isn't. I did 180 - 48.59 = 131.4. I then did the tan of that which gives -1.13
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you labeled the sides wrong, can you send a picture of the actual question on your book/sheet?
I think you labeled the sides wrong, can you send a picture of the actual question on your book/sheet?

May I ask why do you think that?

Plus I think I have. This is what it should be like.https://imgur.com/a/Tv4I3Mt
(edited 5 years ago)
May I ask why do you think that?

1/2 a b sin (c) = area

c = sin-1 (10.5 / 1/2*4*7)
c = 48.6

Using a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc cos(A)
the final side length turns out to be 5.2 which cannot be correct
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply