The Student Room Group

Depression

Hi, I used to suffer with depression and anxiety real bad but thankfully has settled a bit now. I am a very busy person although 50% of the time when I sit down for 5 minutes with no distractions I feel pretty crap about everything. When I know I need to go to sleep I can't because I'm wide awake so if I don't do anything and try to sleep instead, I think of all sorts. I love horses and I volunteer at a yard every Friday, yet today couldn't find the motivation to get up and go. I'm unsure if I am depressed or if there's another underlying issue which is impacting on my sleep in turn making me feel down... Any thoughts?
As someone who’s been experiencing these problems for like five years, I gotta say you don’t necessarily seem to have MAJOR symptoms which shows to me perhaps it’s not ‘coming back’, there are gonna be sh** times in life and you’re never gonna get rid of depression it comes and goes and it just seems to be *kinda* coming a lil bit. Good luck
Reply 2
I never thought I've had major depression symptoms other than 2016/18. Thank you for your response
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I used to suffer with depression and anxiety real bad but thankfully has settled a bit now. I am a very busy person although 50% of the time when I sit down for 5 minutes with no distractions I feel pretty crap about everything. When I know I need to go to sleep I can't because I'm wide awake so if I don't do anything and try to sleep instead, I think of all sorts. I love horses and I volunteer at a yard every Friday, yet today couldn't find the motivation to get up and go. I'm unsure if I am depressed or if there's another underlying issue which is impacting on my sleep in turn making me feel down... Any thoughts?

have you seen a doctor or counselor? could be depression or it could also be something medical. I think that would be a great plae to start.
Reply 4
From my experience (which could be completely unrelated to yours), i was chronically depressed about 2 years ago, and am a lot better since.
I have times where i'm in solitude and i imagine crazy symptoms happening to me... and they do. Then i start considering the fact that i'm falling back into it, and it becomes very overwhelming. I manage to manifest my feelings into reality, and ive just learnt to NOT.
if i'm having a bad day or feel crappy for 5 mins or simply cannot sleep, just excuse it & don't tell myself im 'depressed' because my body would react to that thought.
That probably sounds crazy, but if i kept telling myself im depressed, i would probably fall into a really horrible depression (as i did before) without even realsing.
Try new ways to fix it, but don't overthink it - lifes just like that sometimes.

Good luck ofcourse.
Reply 5
Original post by loralai
From my experience (which could be completely unrelated to yours), i was chronically depressed about 2 years ago, and am a lot better since.
I have times where i'm in solitude and i imagine crazy symptoms happening to me... and they do. Then i start considering the fact that i'm falling back into it, and it becomes very overwhelming. I manage to manifest my feelings into reality, and ive just learnt to NOT.
if i'm having a bad day or feel crappy for 5 mins or simply cannot sleep, just excuse it & don't tell myself im 'depressed' because my body would react to that thought.
That probably sounds crazy, but if i kept telling myself im depressed, i would probably fall into a really horrible depression (as i did before) without even realsing.
Try new ways to fix it, but don't overthink it - lifes just like that sometimes.

Good luck ofcourse.

Thank you, I feel although it might all be due to long term stress. I have all symptoms for that. :/
Reply 6
Original post by puglove0093
have you seen a doctor or counselor? could be depression or it could also be something medical. I think that would be a great plae to start.

I did years ago but nothing really came of it. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and wouldn't have the time.
Reply 7
Original post by Clockrice
Its just sadness you need to understand, empathize with, process and evaporate it. All 'depression' is is sadness which people are unable to process. So they cover up the sadness with fear, anger and numbness, when this doesn't work people get 'depressed'. I don't actually believe in depression, it is just sadness. When you learn how to process your sadness, fear and anger, you will no longer get 'depressed'. The idea that people on here say 'depression' never goes away is a lie, you can heal, improve and learn, so you will be able to process your sadness.

Now I understand I am psychologically and emotionally able to understand things that most people can't, but it is certainly achieveable to no longer get sad or lack motivation or not want to do things. In many cases peoples fear of causing an internal emotional conflict stops them doing things.

Thank you for your response but I don't believe that depression can go away and you will never feel sadness again. If I'm right, any mental illness (not the result of a life event) is due to chemical imbalances in the brain. If you have depression, or any other mental illness, it sticks with you for life; it may get easier to deal with in time or might even seem to go away at times (which it certainly has for me) but it's always there.
Usually, in a case like this, locus of control is everything. To be real i'll have to say it is very easy to be in spectator mode and accept things are just the way they are, but it's best to take responsiblity and accept that it's your fault things are like this.

Though this seems tough to swallow, this also means that you are in control of what happens. I understand how hard it may seem, but this could mean maybe you're not confident enough to start the relationships yourself or someone that people want to be around. You can change this, grow confidence by figuring out a passion, this can even be a short term goal. Get into any type of fitness every single day, make your body look better, you'll feel better too. Ask for advice on information gaps with the gym for example. make sure you are consistent with this. It will give you a small passion which is important.

Learn social skills, this is something they don't teach as a subject but it will definitely change your life, have a large circle be it for friendship or something more is all something you can learn. RSD (real social dynamics) on youtube is a great place to start. This is perfect as it's something you can learn in your own time, by yourself in the comfort of your own home but take it seriously. You imrpove these skills you'll have great friendships and lovers.

Another thing that is very good to do is take up new hobbies. At university it is so easy to do this, join the drama society, football, hiking, the society of your choice and you'll have more opportunity to practise your new found social skills and discipline to fitness.

Finally, Add to all this forcing your change in your own thought. Self-talk is the voice in our head, we can control what we tell ourselves, as hard as it may seem, commit to telling yourself positive things, even though you don' believe it for a week. Learn about good posture, learn about how to increase your natural energy levels, take care of your hygeine and aesthetics and remember!
You don't have time to be depressed if you are taking huge amounts of action. Try and pack your timetable as much as you can, whatever it is no matter how simple the tasks may be.

I'll finish on this note. People are friends with people who bring value to them. Say 'Hi', and smile to random people, it will be so hard the first time, but it'll get easier, you have no idea what doors this can open. And also, a positive person is value to the people around them. If you can force yourself into becoming a more positive person, people will be DRAWN into you.

All of this helped me and many others in my situation. If you commit to this and take all this seriously, You will become a better person.

Good Luck, You got this!
Original post by Anonymous

I have been depressed for 2 years I had CBT and I found that my medicine is what helped me the most as it keeps me stable.I was first prescribed Zoloft I took 150mg at most but I couldn't sleep at all no matter what dose I took or for how long.Then i started taking an antipsychotic for depression which also acts as a sedative, it sorted out my sleep and stablised my mood.I would suggest asking for medication usually SSRI's are offered however I am not a big fan as they are very stimulating in general.I find sleeping tablets help a lot but don't abuse them however in this country it is incredibly hard to get sleeping tablets despite their effectiveness as many people tend to abuse them unfortunately.

From your case it sounds like depression could be a cause.No one wants to believe they are depressed we tell ourselves that we are just tired,stressed,over worked etc leaving depression untreated and as time passes it gets worse.Don't leave depression untreated please visit the GP.As it will only get worse one day you are on top of your game super motivated excited about life and then no one recognised you anymore.Your grades reach a new low and you start considering whether life is worth living.Please don't let it get to that point as the worse your depression gets the harder it is to treat.

If you can afford to see a private psychiatrist please do as it takes months to see an NHS one and for them as long as you are not a danger to yourself or other they don't really care if your quality of life isn't great as long as you are alive.Also don't be scared of medication he side effects can sound scary but extremely few people ever have them for me dry mouth was my only symptom.
(Original post by Anonymous)I have been depressed for 2 years I had CBT and I found that my medicine is what helped me the most as it keeps me stable.I was first prescribed Zoloft I took 150mg at most but I couldn't sleep at all no matter what dose I took or for how long.Then i started taking an antipsychotic for depression which also acts as a sedative, it sorted out my sleep and stablised my mood.I would suggest asking for medication usually SSRI's are offered however I am not a big fan as they are very stimulating in general.I find sleeping tablets help a lot but don't abuse them however in this country it is incredibly hard to get sleeping tablets despite their effectiveness as many people tend to abuse them unfortunately.

From your case it sounds like depression could be a cause.No one wants to believe they are depressed we tell ourselves that we are just tired,stressed,over worked etc leaving depression untreated and as time passes it gets worse.Don't leave depression untreated please visit the GP.As it will only get worse one day you are on top of your game super motivated excited about life and then no one recognised you anymore.Your grades reach a new low and you start considering whether life is worth living.Please don't let it get to that point as the worse your depression gets the harder it is to treat.

If you can afford to see a private psychiatrist please do as it takes months to see an NHS one and for them as long as you are not a danger to yourself or other they don't really care if your quality of life isn't great as long as you are alive.Also don't be scared of medication he side effects can sound scary but extremely few people ever have them for me dry mouth was my only symptom.

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated.
Original post by randomhidden
Usually, in a case like this, locus of control is everything. To be real i'll have to say it is very easy to be in spectator mode and accept things are just the way they are, but it's best to take responsiblity and accept that it's your fault things are like this.

Though this seems tough to swallow, this also means that you are in control of what happens. I understand how hard it may seem, but this could mean maybe you're not confident enough to start the relationships yourself or someone that people want to be around. You can change this, grow confidence by figuring out a passion, this can even be a short term goal. Get into any type of fitness every single day, make your body look better, you'll feel better too. Ask for advice on information gaps with the gym for example. make sure you are consistent with this. It will give you a small passion which is important.

Learn social skills, this is something they don't teach as a subject but it will definitely change your life, have a large circle be it for friendship or something more is all something you can learn. RSD (real social dynamics) on youtube is a great place to start. This is perfect as it's something you can learn in your own time, by yourself in the comfort of your own home but take it seriously. You imrpove these skills you'll have great friendships and lovers.

Another thing that is very good to do is take up new hobbies. At university it is so easy to do this, join the drama society, football, hiking, the society of your choice and you'll have more opportunity to practise your new found social skills and discipline to fitness.

Finally, Add to all this forcing your change in your own thought. Self-talk is the voice in our head, we can control what we tell ourselves, as hard as it may seem, commit to telling yourself positive things, even though you don' believe it for a week. Learn about good posture, learn about how to increase your natural energy levels, take care of your hygeine and aesthetics and remember!
You don't have time to be depressed if you are taking huge amounts of action. Try and pack your timetable as much as you can, whatever it is no matter how simple the tasks may be.

I'll finish on this note. People are friends with people who bring value to them. Say 'Hi', and smile to random people, it will be so hard the first time, but it'll get easier, you have no idea what doors this can open. And also, a positive person is value to the people around them. If you can force yourself into becoming a more positive person, people will be DRAWN into you.

All of this helped me and many others in my situation. If you commit to this and take all this seriously, You will become a better person.

Good Luck, You got this!

Thank you!
Original post by Clockrice
No, that is the worst thing to do. What you need to do is say it is okay I am feeling sad, scared, angry and numb, its okay. I don't have to suppress it or hide from it. I can understand it, empathize with it, process it and evaporate it.

IIf it was only that easy then no one would suffer from depression and depression is an illness cause by an imablance of neurotransmitters.
Perhaps you have High Functioning Depression, rather than Major Depressive Disorder (which is the one most people actually call "depression") Regardless, if you feel bad you should still seek help.
Original post by ballet.nerd
Perhaps you have High Functioning Depression, rather than Major Depressive Disorder (which is the one most people actually call "depression") Regardless, if you feel bad you should still seek help.

Oh I, HFD or MDD. LMAO.

Quick Reply

Latest