The Student Room Group

I don't think my grades are good enough for University

Just for context.. I'm in year 12 and I predicted A's and B's. I am desperate to get onto a medicine course but everywhere I've look at is requiring AAA. In addition to this, I don't do biology. I do chemistry, maths, further maths and computer science. I did some extensive research on which universities accept those who don't necessarily biology and here's the list:
* Aberdeen
* Bristol
*Cambridge
*Lancashire
*Dundee
*edinborough
*Glasgow
*Manchester
*Newscastle
*Oxford
*Belfast
*Sheffield
*St.Andrews
*Anglia Ruskin
*Keele
*Leeds

If someone could please help, that would be amazinggggg:smile:

Scroll to see replies

How come you are not doing Biology?
Because it wouldn't fit with my options.
Original post by GBP23
Just for context.. I'm in year 12 and I predicted A's and B's. I am desperate to get onto a medicine course but everywhere I've look at is requiring AAA. In addition to this, I don't do biology. I do chemistry, maths, further maths and computer science. I did some extensive research on which universities accept those who don't necessarily biology and here's the list:
* Aberdeen
* Bristol
*Cambridge
*Lancashire
*Dundee
*edinborough
*Glasgow
*Manchester
*Newscastle
*Oxford
*Belfast
*Sheffield
*St.Andrews
*Anglia Ruskin
*Keele
*Leeds

If someone could please help, that would be amazinggggg:smile:

What help do you need?

Btw you missed Sunderland.
Seeing as you're in year 12, you're predictions for this year aren't all that important. What I would suggest is work really hard for your AS levels this summer (or any internal exams you have) to try and get three As. This will help with your predictions next year when you're applying to universities.
In the meantime and over the summer, try and get as much work experience as you can, it will help when you're writing your personal statement and give you something to talk about at interview.
As for not doing biology, looks like there's a huge list of unis that don't need it for you to pick from, so I don't think this will be a massive disadvantage?
Good luck!
Reply 5
Well, you have a shortlist which is good. Do they all require AAA or are any lower? If all AAA and next year your sure you won't achieve those grades, you could apply for 2/3 courses with a couple of insurances (ones were you exceed the requirements) in another course.

Looks on unistats, if you delve down it'll tell you what others who got onto the course achieved. If there's a reasonable percentage at your grade, then you stand a chance.
It’s difficult to tell whether they still would disadvantage someone without biology. Call each and every one of them to check on their policy regarding biology and then you’ll have the best idea of where you have the best chance of getting in
Original post by ageshallnot
What help do you need?

Btw you missed Sunderland.

Thank you so much for answering. I was wondering which university has the lowest requirement grades and also, what I could do to improve my chances of getting into university? Just really looking for general help :smile:
Original post by PPPPe2019
It’s difficult to tell whether they still would disadvantage someone without biology. Call each and every one of them to check on their policy regarding biology and then you’ll have the best idea of where you have the best chance of getting in

Okay, that actually sounds like a good idea. I will give them all a call sometime this week. Just curious but do you go to medical school?
Original post by GBP23
Okay, that actually sounds like a good idea. I will give them all a call sometime this week. Just curious but do you go to medical school?

No I’m in year 13 applying for PPE but I had a dilemma when I was choosing my subjects so calling the universities and asking them directly helped me to get honest advice . Best of luck
Original post by S_ophiiie
Seeing as you're in year 12, you're predictions for this year aren't all that important. What I would suggest is work really hard for your AS levels this summer (or any internal exams you have) to try and get three As. This will help with your predictions next year when you're applying to universities.
In the meantime and over the summer, try and get as much work experience as you can, it will help when you're writing your personal statement and give you something to talk about at interview.
As for not doing biology, looks like there's a huge list of unis that don't need it for you to pick from, so I don't think this will be a massive disadvantage?
Good luck!

Thank you sooooo much! I can't believe the response I got from this post. In regards to trying to get three a's in my summer exam... I really struggling to remember everything and I can't seem to find many revision resources. Any links or resources you could share? :smile:
Original post by GBP23
Thank you so much for answering. I was wondering which university has the lowest requirement grades and also, what I could do to improve my chances of getting into university? Just really looking for general help :smile:

Well, it won't take you long to work through the relatively small number of medical schools and work that out.

More importantly, focus on your A-levels to achieve AAA and also on getting the relevant work experience.
If you spell Edinburgh as "edinborough" then you have a slimmer chance than others with getting into there.

I'm just a salty Edinburgh student.
Original post by GBP23
Thank you sooooo much! I can't believe the response I got from this post. In regards to trying to get three a's in my summer exam... I really struggling to remember everything and I can't seem to find many revision resources. Any links or resources you could share? :smile:

No worries! I really struggled with this too, particularly for biology which I found really content heavy. I would try the cgp guides (depending on which exam board you're doing), my teachers don't recommend them but I've found them useful for checking things I don't understand as they're so much more concise. Otherwise, Quizlet is really good, you can write out theoretical questions and their answers and use it to test yourself. Another thing my school have been trialling is Seneca Learning, I don't know how easily accessible this is for you but basically it covers the entire specification and you basically get taught the info then are immediately tested on it which I've found to be really useful for consolidating knowledge quickly. Again, I don't know how easy this would be to get your hands on, but might be worth asking your teachers in case they know? Other than that, just USE your last paper questions and mark schemes, this is honestly what will help you the most with hoovering up those marks!
It’s difficult to tell whether they still would disadvantage someone without biology.

Erm, no it isn't - its called the university website.

This isn't some subject with vague requirements like PPE - their policy on biology will be clear.
minimum is AAA for all medicine unis so you will need this- they won't look at your application if these aren't your predicted grades at least
If you can't get these predicted for next year then foundation courses may be an option?
Original post by nexttime
Erm, no it isn't - its called the university website.

This isn't some subject with vague requirements like PPE - their policy on biology will be clear.

My point is not all website are as helpful as others in many cases calling gives the most direct answers.
My point is not all website are as helpful as others in many cases calling gives the most direct answers.

Regarding whether biology is needed for their medicine course? Probably the most common question they get by each of probably thousands of applicants? I really don't think so.

But by all means, check out the website - if it says 'we require AAA including chemistry and biology' - don't waste your and their time calling them, they are being very clear. If is says '???, maybe we have a preference for biology who knows' - then sure, call them.
Original post by GBP23
Because it wouldn't fit with my options.

What do you mean it doesn’t fit ? If your option is to do Medicine surely Biology would compliment that well as opposed to CS. Have you looked at Foundation Year Medicine ? I’m also a fellow Medical Applicant in year 13
Original post by S_ophiiie
Good luck!

Thank you! If you've got any revision tips, that'd be great xo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending