The Student Room Group

Do the increased patrols in the English Channel put more lives at risk and why?

I find this topic very interesting, and would love to hear everyone's views.
Depends on what the smugglers would make of it, they could start ringing coastal patrol to let them know there is another load on the way and that could stimulate their trade. In the end, more ships in the Channel will only be there to pick people up and bring them ashore safely to process their asylum claims. Were there no ships at all and the practice would still be a booming business for many people. There is little or nothing that can be done to stop it, all this is just politicians pretending to deal with another situation they can't or won't handle (out of political cowardice, it's not for lack of public demand). Nah, this situation will go on at will. Demand and supply.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JGB01

More patrols ultimately means a greater deterent. However, the practice of ferrying them to our shores whenever they are picked up should be ceased. They should be towed straight back to France, which might even spur the French government into actually enforcing their own border and immigration rules for once.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
They should be towed straight back to France...

Which is the only way any ships may function as a deterrent but what about the technicalities? If picked up in British waters, you're in. International, presuming there is some between France and England, will have its own status. We can't blockade the French coast, or can we?
The rescue boats are necessary to make sure none of the terrorists the UK sponsored in Syria get hurt on their way back to HQ.
Build a wall and get the French to pay for it.
This thread title sounds like a homework question tbh
Original post by Wōden
More patrols ultimately means a greater deterent. However, the practice of ferrying them to our shores whenever they are picked up should be ceased. They should be towed straight back to France, which might even spur the French government into actually enforcing their own border and immigration rules for once.

An interesting perspective. However, imagine the immigrants were trying to get to France via the UK. Would you be calling for the UK government to secure our borders to stop them getting to France and being happy for immigrants attempting to get to France to be returned?

Yet that is what you are calling on France to do. Sadly immigration is always going to be someones problem. And compared to the EU as a whole we are not taking our fair share of the problem by a country mile.
Original post by JGB01

I think we should just shoot on sight so I doubt I am the target audience for this.

My solution would definitely stop them trying
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
An interesting perspective. However, imagine the immigrants were trying to get to France via the UK. Would you be calling for the UK government to secure our borders to stop them getting to France and being happy for immigrants attempting to get to France to be returned?

I'd be calling upon the British government to secure our own borders and prevent them from getting into the UK in the first place, thus eliminating the knock on problems for neighbouring countries.

Yet that is what you are calling on France to do. Sadly immigration is always going to be someones problem. And compared to the EU as a whole we are not taking our fair share of the problem by a country mile.

What would you consider a fair share, where would you draw the line? There is an infinite supply of potential migrants from the third world, so what do we do after we have taken in our 'fair share' and the next hoard is gathered in the channel saying, "You let all those other people in, why not us too?"
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by paul514
I think we should just shoot on sight so I doubt I am the target audience for this.

My solution would definitely stop them trying

Or even more controversial send anyone who comes over on a boat straight to Griimsby, that would soon stop them trying.
Apologies to anyone who actually comes from Grimsby, sorry I meant commiserations.
When the patrols pick up immigrants for the English Channel they putting their own lives at risk rescuing them it not just immigrants whos live are put at risk by people smugglers.
Original post by ColinDent
Or even more controversial send anyone who comes over on a boat straight to Griimsby, that would soon stop them trying.
Apologies to anyone who actually comes from Grimsby, sorry I meant commiserations.

What have they done to be sent to Grimsby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending