The Student Room Group

UCL 3 Grade Offers: Can I drop 1 A Level?

Hello guys,

I am 3 months away from my A Level exams, and I am currently continuing on with 4 A levels at the moment (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths), aspiring to be a medic. UCL is the only uni that I have applied to that I have this question about.

As my mocks recently have been shockingly poor in my opinion, and as I would be confident my time management would definitely bump my grades up if I drop a subject (further maths), I have been considering this, although I do acknowledge that it is extremely late.

Is it common for them to give out 4-grade offers, and would it change my chances of getting an offer drastically change if I were to email them the news that I have decided to drop the subject?

Thank you for reading such a long question, I wasn't too sure whether this was the right place to post it!
Reply 1
I think that it's a bad idea to drop one subject even if they gave you a 3 A Level offer. Your application stated that you were doing 4 A Levels so your conditions would change.
Why don't you phone/email them? Offers are usually 3 subjects, but I don't know if dropping one would make a difference.
Original post by Crow_M
I think that it's a bad idea to drop one subject even if they gave you a 3 A Level offer. Your application stated that you were doing 4 A Levels so your conditions would change.

Thanks for you reply. If I could ask another question, do you reckon they won't mind if I get, for example, a C in my 4th subject if I meet the offer in the rest of my subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by EnglishKoreanman
Thanks for you reply. If I could ask another question, do you reckon they won't mind if I get, for example, a C in my 4th subject if I meet the offer in the rest of my subjects?

It's fine as long as you meet the offer of the 3 subjects (specially if there's subject specific offers), I'd call the university just to double check.
Hi, I actually applied to study medicine at UCL and got an offer. The conditions only included 3 subjects (A*AA including Chemistry and Biology) so I think dropping a subject shouldn’t be a problem but I would just email them to double check. Best of luck with your application!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
What happened
Sorry about the late reply, I hope it's still useful! They said it was perfectly fine to drop one subject, so they're not taking it into account on results day, but I still have to do the exam, since I deemed I might as well!
Original post by leahnj
What happened

Latest

Trending

Trending