The Student Room Group

Any positives about brexit

Dyson, Panasonic, Sony, discovery, MUFG, nomura holdings, daiwa securities, sumitomo, turner broadcasting system, nbc universal and Warner media are moving operations out of the U.K. either their headquarters or European operations, which means jobs will go aboard.

Citigroup ceo admitted that there will be less work carried out in London because of brexit.

Most banks are planning or have moved jobs into mainland Europe.

I cannot think of any benefits of brexit, lots of jobs will leave this country and why would any country chose us over Europe. We are one country and there are 27 countries, also goods and people can be moved around freely. No company ceo has said there are lots of benefits from brexit.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hindsight eh?
Reply 2
Less immigration, I mean isn't that why everyone voted brexit? Sick of the EU? Is it worth ruining our economy? Probably not in the long term. Least we got what the majority of brexiteers wanted, we won't even need border force anymore, which immigrant will want to come here after brexit?
leavers hoodies (yes my family are making each other them)
Original post by yngze
Hindsight eh?

Many of us had the foresight to see this would happen.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Fekky.
Less immigration, I mean isn't that why everyone voted brexit? Sick of the EU? Is it worth ruining our economy? Probably not in the long term. Least we got what the majority of brexiteers wanted, we won't even need border force anymore, which immigrant will want to come here after brexit?

Immigration will decrease, but only because the UK will be a less attractive place. Terrific plan. :thumbsup:
Any real evidence that those moves are solely because of brexit? If so, how many jobs? How much tax lost?

FYI Britain exports 0.8% of its goods to the bottom 21 countries in the EU and 80 odd percent of our economy is services so it’s 0.8% of less than 20%.

Then you have to work out how much of that tiny amount will be lost.

Actually look at the data
Reply 7
Original post by paul514
Any real evidence that those moves are solely because of brexit? If so, how many jobs? How much tax lost?

FYI Britain exports 0.8% of its goods to the bottom 21 countries in the EU and 80 odd percent of our economy is services so it’s 0.8% of less than 20%.

Then you have to work out how much of that tiny amount will be lost.

Actually look at the data

A lot of services are tied to goods (insurance, accounting, marketing, HR, etc.). If manufacturing leaves, many services will follow.
Original post by old_dude
If manufacturing leaves, many services will follow.

So how do you explain the demise of UK manufacturing that has accured since joining the EEC/EU?
How do you explain the EU grants paid to UK corporates to relocate out of the UK, in some cases out of the EU itself?
There are many reasons people wish to leave the European Union, even the vast majority of remainers admit that the EU got 'too big for its boots', and needed reform.

We have not left yet, let's leave as the people wished on WTO rules and have this conversation in 3 or 4 years when I believe the country will not reduced to rice rations as a result of Brexit.
Original post by Violet Femme

lol so true, finally brexiteers are waking up to smell the coffee
The bias is real here. Would you vote one way because all these companies say so... And still lose your job after the vote? It's very possible for trust to be misplaced either way. Besides doesn't engage in the threads he creates, my guess is that he's a guardian bot that decided to infiltrate tsr for no reason
Reply 11
i think that there is more negatives about brexit that we can look out
Original post by Violet Femme

We have not left, tell me where you purchased your crystal ball from
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
lol so true, finally brexiteers are waking up to smell the coffee

Really, how condescending you seriously think that we have been somehow sleeping?

How do you know what is going to happen when we leave before we have left, would not be what you have been told would it?
Could you give any examples of large numbers of jobs being lost or relocated? The Panasonic move was just a formality of a few people (less than 10) moving to a different office, and similarly for Dyson/Sony.
Original post by old_dude
A lot of services are tied to goods (insurance, accounting, marketing, HR, etc.). If manufacturing leaves, many services will follow.

Some, but seriously quantify it even on a basic level.
there will be a huge slimness dividend. prolonged food shortages will ensure that the fatness epidemic will finally be beaten.
Original post by jameswhughes
Could you give any examples of large numbers of jobs being lost or relocated? The Panasonic move was just a formality of a few people (less than 10) moving to a different office, and similarly for Dyson/Sony.

Businesses tend to avoid making announcements saying "we're going to fire thousands of people". They establish a subsidiary in another country, with all the new jobs are created there, while they let the former site slowly die of attrition.
Original post by Burton Bridge
So how do you explain the demise of UK manufacturing that has accured since joining the EEC/EU?

The UK joining the EEC played no part in the demise of its manufacturing. It was the deliberate strategy of Margaret Thatcher to abandon old industries in favour of financial services, which the UK could grow thanks to the Single Market. By doing that, she however condemned many parts of the country and mostly favoured the South East.

How do you explain the EU grants paid to UK corporates to relocate out of the UK, in some cases out of the EU itself?

Now you're just silly.

There are many reasons people wish to leave the European Union, even the vast majority of remainers admit that the EU got 'too big for its boots', and needed reform.

What do you mean "too big for its boots"?

We have not left yet, let's leave as the people wished on WTO rules and have this conversation in 3 or 4 years when I believe the country will not reduced to rice rations as a result of Brexit.

The "people" never said they wanted to leave on WTO rules. The vote was only about "leaving the EU". The UK could stay in the Single Market and Customs Union; it would still respect the people's vote.
Original post by the bear
there will be a huge slimness dividend. prolonged food shortages will ensure that the fatness epidemic will finally be beaten.

Unfortunately, junk food is cheaper than quality food, which is mostly imported...

FATNESS EPIDEMIC INCOMING.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending