The Student Room Group

Will I get a maintenance loan?

I have already completed 1 year of university and half a term of the next year before dropping out and deciding to apply for a new course at a different university. I know I am not entitled to a tuition loan for the first year of my 4 year course but I was wondering if I would be entitled to my usual maintenance loan or if I would only be entitled to £3000.
Hi there,

Yes, you'll still be entitled to the full income-assessed Maintenance Loan.

Also, you may be aware of this, but if you can prove you had Compelling Personal Reasons for not completing the previous course, we can potentially award an additional year of funding. Let us know if you'd like to do this!

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply! It's good to know I have a chance of self-funding first year without have to defer a year.
I am aware of CPR and I did leave due to mental health reasons but as I did not seek any medical assistance or advice during this time, due to me being ashamed, I'm not sure how successful I would be in applying.
Hi there,

You can certainly try. To do this, you can write a letter to us explaining what happened, alongside a letter from a professional person (ie a doctor, tutor, social worker etc) confirming this. You could, for example, see if anyone from your old university could confirm why you left.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 4
I did not talk anyone at my university about my mental, the best I could do is to see my doctor in the next few weeks and explain how I was feeling and what led up to me leaving. Would this be enough evidence or would I need more?
Original post by TiredGal
I did not talk anyone at my university about my mental, the best I could do is to see my doctor in the next few weeks and explain how I was feeling and what led up to me leaving. Would this be enough evidence or would I need more?

Hi,

We'd always advise sending as much evidence as possible. We recommend the evidence is signed and dated, confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and when this took place.

Regards,
Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending