The Student Room Group

I'm short, but my brothers are all tall, why aren't I?

OK so, I come from quite a big family. My mother is 5 ft 8, my father is 6 ft 2, and my four brothers are between 6ft - 6ft 6, and what am I? Oh yeah that's right I'm 5 ft 3. I've tried walking around in heels, but it makes my feet hurt and I try to keep my head up, so I look taller, but then my neck starts to hurt. Why am I so unlucky in height?
(edited 5 years ago)
Dunno, dominant v recessive genes? I vaguely remember that 3:1 pretty much is the ratio such things are expressed, so you'll have got the crappy recessive genes :P (I may not understand genes :biggrin: )
You've got the recessive gene!
H - means you will be tall. Both your parents are tall, therefore this is the dominant gene.
h - means you will be short. If you've got two of these that means you've got two recessive genes.
It's just random. Here's how it played out:
Brother 1 - Hh
Brother 2 - HH
Brother 3 - HH
Brother 4 - Hh
You - hh <--- resecssive gene

I think that's right!!
Different fathers....

Joking.
Original post by Andrew97
Different fathers....

Joking.

Maybe, my mother was quite loose in her younger years, I have often had suspicions about whether my father is actually my father.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Dunno, dominant v recessive genes? I vaguely remember that 3:1 pretty much is the ratio such things are expressed, so you'll have got the crappy recessive genes :P (I may not understand genes :biggrin: )

Original post by yotsr123
You've got the recessive gene!
H - means you will be tall. Both your parents are tall, therefore this is the dominant gene.
h - means you will be short. If you've got two of these that means you've got two recessive genes.
It's just random. Here's how it played out:
Brother 1 - Hh
Brother 2 - HH
Brother 3 - HH
Brother 4 - Hh
You - hh <--- resecssive gene

I think that's right!!

It’s right for some stuff but not for height.

Height is controlled by Polygenic Inheritance and external factors. There are many genes for height so given both parents are tall it is unusual but not impossible that they still got the bad deal for some of the height genes.
Also if the diet hasn’t contained enough nutrition and protein the body will not have been able to grow as well, so will have remained short.
Genetic variation. Your environment (what food you eat, etc) contributes to it too.
Reply 7
ok im the youngest in my family my mum is short and my dad is tall, my older sister who is 18 is the same height as my mum however i got my dads height
So I’m 4’7” at 22 my mom 6’4” my dad 6’10 my twin brother 6’9” my 16 year old sister 6’8”Someone please tell me what’s wrong with my height gene
Original post by K.I.M
ok im the youngest in my family my mum is short and my dad is tall, my older sister who is 18 is the same height as my mum however i got my dads height

Wish I was that lucky
Original post by MrAnonymous129
OK so, I come from quite a big family. My mother is 5 ft 8, my father is 6 ft 2, and my four brothers are between 6ft - 6ft 6, and what am I? Oh yeah that's right I'm 5 ft 3. I've tried walking around in heels, but it makes my feet hurt and I try to keep my head up, so I look taller, but then my neck starts to hurt. Why am I so unlucky in height?

life
Because you are a girl.

Quick Reply

Latest