The Student Room Group

Why do guys lie on their dating profile that they are looking for a relationship?

I've been on dates with many guys who put on their profile that they are looking for a relationship but then a couple of dates later, they reveal that they just want sex. I feel like this is so disrespectful and selfish because they basically lie and waste the time of girls who want a relationship. Why not just be honest and put on your profile you want something casual, that way girls who want something serious can swipe left on them.
Because it’s easier to lure girls in
Reply 2
Original post by potatina
Because it’s easier to lure girls in

That's disgusting.
Mainly because they are habitual liars and self centered opportunists, incapable of being honest.
Sometimes because they are also lying to themselves and can't admit they are only looking for no strings or fwb.
Occasionally they are genuinely looking for a relationship but also have preferences in a potential partner that is a dating deal breaker, gradually realise you don't fit their ideal date criteria and end things with the more convenient only wanted sex excuse to avoid mentioning their deal breaker preferences.
Girls also do all three- particularly where tinder is involved.
Reply 4
They might have had a chance if they were honest but lying means they can't be trusted now.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on dates with many guys who put on their profile that they are looking for a relationship but then a couple of dates later, they reveal that they just want sex. I feel like this is so disrespectful and selfish because they basically lie and waste the time of girls who want a relationship. Why not just be honest and put on your profile you want something casual, that way girls who want something serious can swipe left on them.

No they dont. PM me if u want. We can chat.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Mainly because they are habitual liars and self centered opportunists, incapable of being honest.
Sometimes because they are also lying to themselves and can't admit they are only looking for no strings or fwb.
Occasionally they are genuinely looking for a relationship but also have preferences in a potential partner that is a dating deal breaker, gradually realise you don't fit their ideal date criteria and end things with the more convenient only wanted sex excuse to avoid mentioning their deal breaker preferences.
Girls also do all three- particularly where tinder is involved.

They could just say they didn't feel a connection if there were deal breakers. It's a bit messed up though to have sex with someone when you know they want a relationship.
Reply 7
I wasn't using Tinder because it's an app known for being used mainly for hookups.
Reply 8
Original post by Molly Sam
No they dont. PM me if u want. We can chat.

Lol yes they do. So many of them do it.
Lol yes they do. So many of them do it.

just PM me.
Original post by Molly Sam
just PM me.

Why would I PM you?
Why would I PM you?

so that we can chat. Girl talk. Not here.
That's disgusting.

It is, some men need to sort out themselves
Reply 13
Who doesn't lie on their dating profile?
Original post by UWS
Who doesn't lie on their dating profile?

I dont lie on my dating profile.
The people on these sites may not necessarily be your average man or woman.
For the same reason girls don't just say they are looking for a rich person, who will selflessly devote everything to them while suffering themselves.

It kind of cuts the sucess rate of the add down a tad!
obv because they know girls will swipe left the best way to meet people is irl
Same reason why girls lie that they want a guy with a good personality.
The same reason why women lie and say they're looking for something casual when they really want a serious relationship: to maximise their chances.

Quick Reply

Latest