The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Maths, where are you?

I am just wondering whereabouts people are in the course. I'm slightly concerned about our course as we have 66 sub-topics left, and not enough lessons..

We have almost finished statistics and mechanics, but barely touched pure.

How far into the course are you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We’ve nearly finished all the pure content, and going to move on to the rest of stats and mechanics soon
Reply 2
Original post by Dimki
We’ve nearly finished all the pure content, and going to move on to the rest of stats and mechanics soon

Ahhhhh. I'd much rather have nearly finished pure. Stats and mechanics this year is a walk in the park compared to this years pure!
Reply 3
Original post by ininininin
I am just wondering whereabouts people are in the course. I'm slightly concerned about our course as we have 66 sub-topics left, and not enough lessons..

We have almost finished statistics and mechanics, but barely touched pure.

How far into the course are you?

What do you mean by "barely touched" pure? Have you finished the year 1 topics (assuming you're in year 13)?
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
What do you mean by "barely touched" pure? Have you finished the year 1 topics (assuming you're in year 13)?

Yeah sorry, finished year 1 pure. Have only done chapter 1, part of 5, 6 and part of 9 of year 2.
We've done most of pure year 2 apart from vectors integration and numerical methods. However we have done very little applied
We've done most of pure but no stats or mechanics
Reply 7
How are you finding the course? We’ve just done our mocks which were so so hard
Reply 8
Original post by ininininin
Yeah sorry, finished year 1 pure. Have only done chapter 1, part of 5, 6 and part of 9 of year 2.

If you’ve finished most of applied then I would say that you are a bit behind the average school but not too far behind.
Original post by dsirohi1

Same. Ours were so hard, harder than any other maths papers I’ve ever done. Nothing like the questions in the textbook
Original post by Fighter365
Same. Ours were so hard, harder than any other maths papers I’ve ever done. Nothing like the questions in the textbook

Same here. The questions are really hard to figure out
Original post by Fighter365

Exactly my thoughts. We did last years a level and the textbook is just so so easy in comparison I’m worried as need an A*
Exactly my thoughts. We did last years a level and the textbook is just so so easy in comparison I’m worried as need an A*

At least we’re not the only ones. And yeah I need an A, but everyone in my year found it hard and we have some very bright mathematicians. The new spec exams in sat in 2018 needed like 62% for an A and 77% for an A* which I thought was low at first..... until they gave us the impossible papers (although I’m sure they were practice sets not last years ones).
Reply 13
We've done everything pure but sequences and integration. just started mechanics!
Reply 14
Guys I'm really struggling with the different distributions in Stats 1 and 2!! any tips?
finished mechanics, done nearly 2 topics of mechanics and only have a couple pure chapters

Ours were awful. I understand lessons and exercises in the textbook, but when it comes to exam papers, it makes no sense. We started doing zigzag exam questions as an end of topic test and my grades shot up from D's to A/B's. However, the actual exam papers won't be anything like that :frown:
We have done everything apart from integration 2, iteration and we are doing mechanics 2 now which is a nightmare!:frown:
As a y12, which topics do you guys find hardest? I want to be prepared for when they come lol
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
As a y12, which topics do you guys find hardest? I want to be prepared for when they come lol

There isn't really a topic to pinpoint. My best advice would be is, understand the topics now and if you struggle with something, correct it. A lot of year 2, you need the basics of year 1 and without them, you'll really struggle!

Quick Reply

Latest