The Student Room Group

Project Fear: How far will they take it?

I mentioned (tongue in cheek:wink:) that a comet may be coming if they allow Brexit to happen in another thread. Well it looks like the repercussions could be worse than a natural disaster, according to this Guardian(:eek:) source.

I think by the end of February after space aliens have destroyed most of Sunderland, South Yorkshire, and Great Yarmouth the rest of us make our way to Glastonbury to take the easy way out and book Ed Sheeran to bore us to death. That's if the tidal wave doesn't get there before Ed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/25/cabinet-office-compares-no-deal-brexit-to-iceland-ash-cloud-chaos
The repercussions for the UK of a no-deal Brexit could be similar to the national emergency faced by Iceland during the volcanic eruptions in 2010 that brought parts of the country to a standstill, according to advice being given to civil servants.
The warning comes from the Cabinet Office, which is coordinating training for thousands of staff across Whitehall to help prepare departments for a disorderly departure from the European Union on 29 March.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Fantastic
I mentioned (tongue in cheek:wink:) that a comet may be coming if they allow Brexit to happen in another thread. Well it looks like the repercussions could be worse than a natural disaster, according to this Guardian(:eek:) source.

I think by the end of February after space aliens have destroyed most of Sunderland, South Yorkshire, and Great Yarmouth the rest of us make our way to Glastonbury to take the easy way out and book Ed Sheeran to bore us to death. That's if the tidal wave doesn't get there before Ed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/25/cabinet-office-compares-no-deal-brexit-to-iceland-ash-cloud-chaos
The repercussions for the UK of a no-deal Brexit could be similar to the national emergency faced by Iceland during the volcanic eruptions in 2010 that brought parts of the country to a standstill, according to advice being given to civil servants.
The warning comes from the Cabinet Office, which is coordinating training for thousands of staff across Whitehall to help prepare departments for a disorderly departure from the European Union on 29 March.

So are you claiming this is false and there will be no repurcussions or issues if we simply drop out of the EU with no deal?
Original post by 999tigger
So are you claiming this is false and there will be no repurcussions or issues if we simply drop out of the EU with no deal?

I'm claming that it won't be as bad as a toxic, volcanic ash cloud.
Reply 3
I'm claming that it won't be as bad as a toxic, volcanic ash cloud.

Well that's okay then.

"Brexit; better than a toxic, volcanic ash cloud"

should fit on a bus.
So are you saying that if you are a company and you have looked at the scenario where much of the infrastructure and burocratic paths that allow you to do successful business is changed dramatically or removed and concluded that the outcome for your business will be very very bad - is that called project fear?

I can't help but feel that those like yourself who are screaming "Project fear" at anyone sharing genuine concerns about how to manage in the event of a no-deal Brexit is both ignorant and has their head firmly stuck in a very deep box of sand. Even Reece-Mogg has finally woken up to the nightmare that is the no-deal Brexit.
Original post by DJKL
Well that's okay then.

should fit on a bus.

We'll be closing the windows and doors at the end of march so no worries.
Original post by ByEeek
So are you saying that if you are a company and you have looked at the scenario where much of the infrastructure and burocratic paths that allow you to do successful business is changed dramatically or removed and concluded that the outcome for your business will be very very bad - is that called project fear?

I can't help but feel that those like yourself who are screaming "Project fear" at anyone sharing genuine concerns about how to manage in the event of a no-deal Brexit is both ignorant and has their head firmly stuck in a very deep box of sand. Even Reece-Mogg has finally woken up to the nightmare that is the no-deal Brexit.

Business would be happy with May's deal so would I. What they don't want is more uncertanty from screaming losers who would like to drag it on and just can't understand how they were outwitted by the plebs. It's all terribly hilarious.
Business would be happy with May's deal so would I. What they don't want is more uncertanty from screaming losers who would like to drag it on and just can't understand how they were outwitted by the plebs. It's all terribly hilarious.

Agreed. I don't think they were outwhited. We should have done what we are doing now 2 years ago... like the EU did. Then at least we would have had a negociating position. May effectively went into negociations with her fingers crossed behind her back. What she got was pretty increadible considering she went in with no plan.
Reply 8

Damn these remaniac losers!
Original post by old_dude
Damn these remaniac losers!

Most of the cabinet office are remainiacs that's why were so ****ed.Not sure what your point is.
Most of the cabinet office are remainiacs that's why were so ****ed.Not sure what your point is.

Yeah, probably why May have repetitively called for a new referendum and ministers keep telling how much they love the EU.
Mister Fantastic, I feel like all you do on this website is make threads full of snarky Tory/Brexiteer stuff. Are you sure it's healthy?

Spoiler

You could, perhaps, go write for the Daily Fail instead, and at least then you'd get paid for it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You could, perhaps, go write for the Daily Fail instead, and at least then you'd get paid for it.

Please stop it with your snarky lefty/remainiac stuff.
Please stop it with your snarky lefty/remainiac stuff.

Please stop linking left wing poltics with these people whom cannot understand the world won't end without a deal and the economy cannot survive while we keep taking money out it gifting it to foreign companies.

The rich getting richer and richer is helped by the EU, the hard right of the tories are against remaining because of the political interference and workers regulations, the left are against remaining for different reasons.
The point of the article which you quite dramatically missed is NOT that there will be a volcanic ash cloud over the UK, it's that the economic damage caused will be just as bad as a volcanic ash cloud over the UK.

Basically what that means is that a volcanic ash cloud would cost our economy money, right? It causes issues with transport, people can't get to work, they don't produce goods. Businesses can't effectively produce their goods/services because of damaged infrastructure.

What this leads to is ON AVERAGE across everyone in the country the average person will earn less money, because there's less value being created. Say they work in a shop which sells less stuff, there's less money to pay employees. This will also go round wherein they then spend less money in other shops and so the those shops earn even less money (and so employees paid even less and so they have less money and so on... This is an economic term called the multiplier effect.

The argument the article is saying which has been shown by many economists and think tanks is that something similar will happen because of brexit... not because people can't get to work but because businesses will lose people to sell to. There will very likely be tariffs between us and the EU (basically the EU taxes any goods we send there to sell) and so our goods are more expensive. Over 45% of ALL trade that we in the UK do with other countries is with the EU! This is basically like a one shop on a street being taxed more than the other shops (because the other shops are still part of the EU) and so customers will go to the other shops. This means our companies and businesses will sell less stuff, earn less money and everyone in our country on average will earn less money.
Reply 16
David Buik speaks regularly on LBC and gives industry analysis he claims that Tim Enders of Airbus has been got at with his claim that brexit will be disastrous. The fact is that it would take 5 years to train people if Airbus moved out of the UK, Boeing are happy to stay in the UK, they're not mad, there is sleezy politics going on here. https://youtu.be/pwq5RF1APZI

We also hear that company's systems wouldn't work if brexit happened but systems are computer packages with settings that can easily be reset according to the tariffs and prices , programmers can be employed if it's more technical than that. The claim lacks credibility, the news media giving these fearful stories don't go into detail at least I haven't heard them.
Original post by DJKL
Well that's okay then.

should fit on a bus.

if you had difficulty with Eyjafjallajökull just wait for Regeln der Welthandelsorganisation

:teehee:
Reply 18
Remember how we were told that leave ads on Facebook helped them win the Referendum?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44966969

Well it hardly made the headlines (especially the bbc) but it's since been revealed that remain spent three times more in a Guardian article I read, this sky article backs it up
news.sky.com/story/remain-v-leave-scale-of-facebook-ad-war-revealed-11530148
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
I keep hearing that No Deal will be a disaster but nobody ever gives any actual figures as to how they come to that conclusion.
Why is this?
Can anybody please supply them so that they can be peer reviewed

Quick Reply

Latest