The Student Room Group

if i do psych a level instead of chem will i be able to become a surgeon?

I'm in yr11 currently doing GCSEs. I need to think about my A Level choices and I want to become a surgeon and study medicine. I want to do psychology, maths and bio however most people who study medicine say you need chemistry as its really important. Do I really need it in order to become a surgeon? I don't really enjoy it and its one of my weak subjects.

Scroll to see replies

most medicial schools require chemistry, but look at the ones you want to go to and check
d
I’m pretty sure all med schools require chemistry, with most also requiring biology. I’d say your choice has to be between maths and psychology. I’m in year 13 and have applied for medicine, doing maths, chem and bio. Maths is really difficult and requires an awful lot of practice questions to do well. It’s also not very enjoyable unless you really know what you’re doing (which only comes with a lot of practice). From what my friends say, psychology is a bit of a longer answer type subject. I’d recommend choosing the subject you think you’d enjoy most.
Original post by miss_ambitious
I'm in yr11 currently doing GCSEs. I need to think about my A Level choices and I want to become a surgeon and study medicine. I want to do psychology, maths and bio however most people who study medicine say you need chemistry as its really important. Do I really need it in order to become a surgeon? I don't really enjoy it and its one of my weak subjects.

Every medical school requires Chemistry, so yes you do need it.
Reply 4
Yes, for medicine, chemistry is an absolute requirement. If it's really your weakest subject and you hate it, then actually consider if studying medicine is what's right for you.
From the little that I've seen of A-level psychology, it's not that relevant to medicine so you can't substitute it for chemistry.
Reply 5
Original post by jameswhughes

No they definitely don't. Did you look at the file you linked?

There's at least half a dozen ten that do not require Chemistry. Yes, it limits OPs choices but not entirely by any means.

Original post by Sinnoh
Yes, for medicine, chemistry is an absolute requirement. If it's really your weakest subject and you hate it, then actually consider if studying medicine is what's right for you.
From the little that I've seen of A-level psychology, it's not that relevant to medicine so you can't substitute it for chemistry.

As above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
No they definitely don't. Did you look at the file you linked?

There's at least half a dozen that do not require Chemistry. Yes, it limits OPs choices significantly but not entirely by any means.

As above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Today I learned!
As stated, there are now a good few medical schools which would accept you with biology and another science. Having chemistry will certainly increase the range of medical schools you can apply to, but at the end of the day you need to get an A. AAA in biology, psychology and maths could get you an offer, whereas AAC with chemistry definitely won't.
Reply 8
@miss_ambitious here's a summary of medical schools not requiring A-level Chemistry. Please check the sourced link for full details of requirements and admissions preferences to ensure you apply to your strengths. Also these are subject to change, and check the university's own sites to be sure.

ARU : Chemistry or Biology and one of either Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics
UEA : Biology/Human Biology, with two further subjects of the applicant's choice.
Keele : Chemistry or Biology plus a second science.
Leeds : Chemistry or Biology. Physics or Maths must also be offered if Chemistry is not taken.
Newcastle : Chemistry and/or Biology. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).
Manchester : Chemistry or Biology/Human Biology, and One of the following subjects from Chemistry; Biology/Human Biology; Physics; Psychology; Mathematics or Further Mathematics.
Plymouth : Biology and one other science from Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology.
QMUL : First A level to include Chemistry or Biology, second A level to include a secondary science subject (Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths).
Sheffield : Chemistry or Biology, and another science (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology)
Sunderland : Chemistry or Biology plus a second science

Source: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
@Sinnoh :smile:
@jameswhughes
(edited 5 years ago)
@miss_ambitious here's a summary of medical schools not requiring A-level Chemistry. Please check the sourced link for full details of requirements and admissions preferences to ensure you apply to your strengths. Also these are subject to change.

ARU : Chemistry or Biology and one of either Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics
UEA : Biology/Human Biology, with two further subjects of the applicant's choice.
Leeds: Chemistry or Biology. Physics or Maths must also be offered if Chemistry is not taken.
Newcastle: Chemistry and/or Biology. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).
Plymouth: Biology and one other science from Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology.
QMUL : First A level to include Chemistry or Biology, second A level to include a secondary science subject (Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths).
Sheffield: Chemistry or Biology, and another science (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology)
Sunderland: Chemistry or Biology plus a second science

Source: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
@jameswhughes

Also Manchester :smile:
There's a small amount of med schools that don't need chemistry but to not do chemistry would really limit your options. It's best to do chemistry instead but you could try starting with 4 A levels and see how it goes ?
Why u so nerdy for. Take bio chem and maths, get 3A*’s , get decent ukcat get an offer and go to med school. You specilise in surgery after med school. Your too young to limit yourself man
Reply 12
Original post by Democracy

:yy: and now edited :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Moose-er
There's a small amount of med schools that don't need chemistry

10 to be precise.
Original post by miss_ambitious
I'm in yr11 currently doing GCSEs. I need to think about my A Level choices and I want to become a surgeon and study medicine. I want to do psychology, maths and bio however most people who study medicine say you need chemistry as its really important. Do I really need it in order to become a surgeon? I don't really enjoy it and its one of my weak subjects

If you really hate chemistry, i doubt medicine is for you. Why do you actually want to be a surgeon?
Original post by tiger_manpower
Why u so nerdy for. Take bio chem and maths, get 3A*’s , get decent ukcat get an offer and go to med school. You specilise in surgery after med school. Your too young to limit yourself man

Your comment is literally nonsense, you call OP nerdy before telling them to get 3A* and then seem to think having an aspiration of being a surgeon means you are limiting yourself. Are you alright?
@miss_ambitious here's a summary of medical schools not requiring A-level Chemistry. Please check the sourced link for full details of requirements and admissions preferences to ensure you apply to your strengths. Also these are subject to change.

Leeds : Chemistry or Biology. Physics or Maths must also be offered if Chemistry is not taken.
Newcastle : Chemistry and/or Biology. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).
Manchester : three arts/humanities subjects or two arts/humanities subjects and one science subject.
Plymouth : Biology and one other science from Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology.
Sheffield : Chemistry or Biology, and another science (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology)
Sunderland : Chemistry or Biology plus a second science

@jameswhughes

Fair enough, I only skimmed through it and had made the assumption that it was an absolute requirement. :lol:

Manchester's offer is interesting - you could get in there with no science subjects at all?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by jameswhughes
Manchester's offer is interesting - you could get in there with no science subjects at all?

So it seems - I only just noticed that too...

Original post by Democracy

Ooh, I had to re-read (twice) their requirements... why don't they require any sciences at all? That's plain weird! :iiam:
(edited 5 years ago)
Most unis need chemistry to study medicine! Don't think there are many unis that offer medicine to applicants that haven't studied chemistry.
Also if chem is your weakest subject then medicine might not be the right course for you as it's heavily based on chemistry
(edited 5 years ago)
Have done minor surgery... shrapnel removal and stuff. No formal qualifications but some don't want the attention of the authorities. Stop that bloodflow now... it's going all over my carpet, lol.
Ooh, I had to re-read (twice) their requirements... why don't they require any sciences at all? That's plain weird! :iiam:

It does? Its unusual in including psychology as a 2nd science but still

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/

And whilst the document you linked does contain inaccuracies, it is (almost) right about Manchester? Edit: are you looking at the A104 program?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending