The Student Room Group

Is CAMHS really that bad?

I have my first CAMHS appointment on Tuesday. I'm 17 and I got referred just over a week ago as my case is apparently quite serious, however, I've been reading up about it and all I can see is reviews of people being misdiagnosed and poorly treated by members of staff. Frankly, it has made me terrified to turn up to my appointment or to even get involved with them. Is it really that bad? Has anyone had a good experience with them?
Original post by ryabareham1
I have my first CAMHS appointment on Tuesday. I'm 17 and I got referred just over a week ago as my case is apparently quite serious, however, I've been reading up about it and all I can see is reviews of people being misdiagnosed and poorly treated by members of staff. Frankly, it has made me terrified to turn up to my appointment or to even get involved with them. Is it really that bad? Has anyone had a good experience with them?

Hi, I was involved with CAHMs for my schizophrenia at the age of 16-18. They had a group for talking which I went to a couple of times and my psychiatrist was in that group. I can’t really remember what we talked about, especially in our one to ones but once she told me categorically that I was not schizophrenic. But I am and have been diagnosed since 2018 (I am 20 now) I don’t know if they’re afraid as psychiatrists to diagnose schizophrenia in adolescence as the things you are going through could be mistaken as a “teenage phase” - I have read this multiple times which is how I found out about it. They first diagnosed me with psychosis, and my other psychiatrist who I had before with cahms sent me for an MRI (but he forgot to tell me the results of which I had to remind him - it was okay he said) I think to rule out brain abnormalities. Overall my experience wasn’t bad it but the medications that they gave me didn’t work. I tried risperidone and olanzapine with them but I still heard voices and I literally can’t stand hearing voices at the moment it’s a real struggle :frown: hope you have a good experience with them though lovely xxx
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I was involved with CAHMs for my schizophrenia at the age of 16-18. They had a group for talking which I went to a couple of times and my psychiatrist was in that group. I can’t really remember what we talked about, especially in our one to ones but once she told me categorically that I was not schizophrenic. But I am and have been diagnosed since 2018 (I am 20 now) I don’t know if they’re afraid as psychiatrists to diagnose schizophrenia in adolescence as the things you are going through could be mistaken as a “teenage phase” - I have read this multiple times which is how I found out about it. They first diagnosed me with psychosis, and my other psychiatrist who I had before with cahms sent me for an MRI (but he forgot to tell me the results of which I had to remind him - it was okay he said) I think to rule out brain abnormalities. Overall my experience wasn’t bad it but the medications that they gave me didn’t work. I tried risperidone and olanzapine with them but I still heard voices and I literally can’t stand hearing voices at the moment it’s a real struggle :frown: hope you have a good experience with them though lovely xxx

I can't imagine what that must have been like for you and I'm so sorry to hear that. I have my appointment today and in all honesty, I'd rather do anything else than go to it but my mum gets mad when I tell her I don't want to so kinda stuck with it. I hope you got the treatment that you deserved and are doing better now, thank you for telling me though xx

Quick Reply

Latest