The Student Room Group

Is the West hypocritical RE censorship?

Theirv has been a lot of noise in the media recently around the influence of Chinese tech companies in the UK as well as Russian and Iranian broadcasters, with multiple calls from the usual suspects for their influence to be curtailed or/ and suppressed, with fears over national security and the promotion of extremist content.

Yet this is exactly the same reason that China gives when China suppresses various media platforms. Whilst China and ‘authoritarian’ states may be more harsh on political dissidents than in the west that can partly be down to cultural and economic factors, we can see the west is growing more suppresive of dissidents with mass protests in France, greater suppresion of dissident voices esp in universities and shutting down and de platforming, doxxing and essentially state sanctioned bullying and harassment of political dissidents or even just free speech with groups like Antifa seemingly being given political protection and certainly a wide degree of support amongst elites.
Original post by Davij038
Theirv has been a lot of noise in the media recently around the influence of Chinese tech companies in the UK as well as Russian and Iranian broadcasters, with multiple calls from the usual suspects for their influence to be curtailed or/ and suppressed, with fears over national security and the promotion of extremist content.

Yet this is exactly the same reason that China gives when China suppresses various media platforms. Whilst China and ‘authoritarian’ states may be more harsh on political dissidents than in the west that can partly be down to cultural and economic factors, we can see the west is growing more suppresive of dissidents with mass protests in France, greater suppresion of dissident voices esp in universities and shutting down and de platforming, doxxing and essentially state sanctioned bullying and harassment of political dissidents or even just free speech with groups like Antifa seemingly being given political protection and certainly a wide degree of support amongst elites.

If you are such a fan of China and Russia then go and live there.

Try comparing like with like and know what you are talking about.

Chinese tech companies most notably Huawei have been in the news because its been accused of installing equiment that is prone to industrail sabotahe or can be used by the Chinese government to commit such. Presumably they have intelligence on this and a sensible company would protect itself from such espionage.

China in contrast fro its own reasons censors the internet within its own country for anything that criticises it.
yes you could say imprisoning an executing thousands of dissidents is a bit harsher.

Your rants really are bonkers.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you are such a fan of China and Russia then go and live there.

Try comparing like with like and know what you are talking about.

Chinese tech companies most notably Huawei have been in the news because its been accused of installing equiment that is prone to industrail sabotahe or can be used by the Chinese government to commit such. Presumably they have intelligence on this and a sensible company would protect itself from such espionage.

China in contrast fro its own reasons censors the internet within its own country for anything that criticises it.
yes you could say imprisoning an executing thousands of dissidents is a bit harsher.

Your rants really are bonkers.

No because I have an interest in this country, what with it being my home and all.

Oh and because the west would never stoop to do such a thing? 😂😂😂

China does have a harsh by western standards domestic policy. It’s foreign policy unlike the west’s hasn’t lead to Deaths of millions however.
No because I have an interest in this country, what with it being my home and all.

Oh and because the west would never stoop to do such a thing? 😂😂😂

China does have a harsh by western standards domestic policy. It’s foreign policy unlike the west’s hasn’t lead to Deaths of millions however.

Considering how iften you talk it down then you wouldnt be missed.

How do you know? I am not being a conspiracy theorist but China does reportedly have concerntration camps and they have a pretty severe strangle hold on Tibet. They are threatening Twain and the whole area around the South China Sea. And where as yes, they are not sending their army to invade, they are building up their military might as well as starting to dominate space exploration which as we know is the civil end of military research. And their cyber warfare is second to none. Right now, that is the biggest risk China pose. We don't know the full extent of their capability and perhaps that is the terrifying thing. They certainly have a track record of it and for all we know, they could shut down large parts of our infrastructure at the flick of a switch. We should rightly be wary of China.
I would rather hammer a nail into my head than trust the chinese (as a country/government not people individually)
Reply 6
Original post by AperfectBalance
I would rather hammer a nail into my head than trust the chinese (as a country/government not people individually)

I don’t trust the Chinese, but I trust them more than our own governments and elites.
Reply 7
Considering how iften you talk it down then you wouldnt be missed.

There are millions of people who don’t have faith that the country can’t effectiveky self govern itself. Despite voting Remain I am not won of them. If you’re concerned about people talking g the country down they’d probably be a better place to start 😂
Reply 8
I don’t trust the Chinese, but I trust them more than our own governments and elites.

Why?

At least our Governments change...

The fact you're willing to say you trust what is essentially a dictatorship says far more about you than anything else. It's highly irrational and illogical.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Why?

At least our Governments change...

The fact you're willing to say you trust what is essentially a dictatorship says far more about you than anything else. It's highly irrational and illogical.

Governments of the traditional governing parties are generally 2 heads of the same coin. Anytime someone or some party breaks the system, watch them join together to attack en masse. For instance we get dozens of supposedly republicans attacking Trump and in Sweden we get half of the centre right parties propping up the social democrats. It’s a pretense. Most of these parties are paid by the same donors and lobbying groups, That’s why Trump got virtually no support in the media despite being the most popular republican in years. Corbyn has received similar treatment. So even if our government does change from the status quo there are ways that the establishment can put the brakes on. This is called limited government, which can just as easily put the brakes on democracy as a dictator can.

I trust a dictatorship to be a dictatorship. They can do what they want openly more or less. When you have as I believe we do a sham government running the shots it is far harder to predict what exactly it is they are going to do. EG Russia and China are behaving like typical state powers. Countries in the west are not- eg the invasion of Iraq.

I agree that some of my views are irrational. And I say good. I am not aspergers, in life one can achieve more using emotion and irrational impulses than pure rationality which makes you predictable and robot like, where you lose your sense of vitality. That said though, I do believe my argument is predominantly a rational one
There are millions of people who don’t have faith that the country can’t effectiveky self govern itself. Despite voting Remain I am not won of them. If you’re concerned about people talking g the country down they’d probably be a better place to start 😂

As normal you start off with a comparison that doesnt make sense and isnt actually a comparison. That shows you dont undwerstand what you are talking about.

You then go onto your normal diatribe about the west. Find the country you like and whose values you believe in and go and live there. Start with China or Russia if you think they are so amazing. Id just be happy if people like you left.
Governments of the traditional governing parties are generally 2 heads of the same coin. Anytime someone or some party breaks the system, watch them join together to attack en masse. For instance we get dozens of supposedly republicans attacking Trump and in Sweden we get half of the centre right parties propping up the social democrats. It’s a pretense. Most of these parties are paid by the same donors and lobbying groups, That’s why Trump got virtually no support in the media despite being the most popular republican in years. Corbyn has received similar treatment. So even if our government does change from the status quo there are ways that the establishment can put the brakes on. This is called limited government, which can just as easily put the brakes on democracy as a dictator can.

I trust a dictatorship to be a dictatorship. They can do what they want openly more or less. When you have as I believe we do a sham government running the shots it is far harder to predict what exactly it is they are going to do. EG Russia and China are behaving like typical state powers. Countries in the west are not- eg the invasion of Iraq.

I agree that some of my views are irrational. And I say good. I am not aspergers, in life one can achieve more using emotion and irrational impulses than pure rationality which makes you predictable and robot like, where you lose your sense of vitality. That said though, I do believe my argument is predominantly a rational one

I'm sure you think you're being profound and that some 16/17 year olds revere you, but really this is just meandering bs mixed in with conspiracy twoddle.
Reply 12
As normal you start off with a comparison that doesnt make sense and isnt actually a comparison. That shows you dont undwerstand what you are talking about.

You then go onto your normal diatribe about the west. Find the country you like and whose values you believe in and go and live there. Start with China or Russia if you think they are so amazing. Id just be happy if people like you left.

You said that I am always putting the country down (I make a distinction between the elites who govern us and the country but whatever)

i made the comparison that the many people who strongly believe we should remain in the EU are putting the country down far more than me as they believe we are incapable of self-governance .

I hope this makes sense to you and is on a level you are able to comprehend.

Mmm, ok. Presumably then if a government that I supported came into power you would obviously uproot yourself immediately and emigrate. Plenty of people said the same if Trump won and few of any have done so.
Classic media spin on western politics is, pretend everything's fine and dandy and rebuff criticism with the whataboutery of China, Russia and anywhere else without their version of democracy.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
this is just meandering bs mixed in with conspiracy twoddle.

Should be pretty easy to own me with facts and logic then...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending