The Student Room Group

What is the best job I could get with my qualifications?

I have A*AB A levels, and a higher education diploma in psychology (I didn't finish my degree).
Just wondered what the best job is that I could get potentially. I realize it wont be something very good because I'm not intelligent, but I don't fancy being a cashier all my life either.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sherlockfan
I'm not intelligent,

Well clearly that's not true.

You can do anything you like that doesn't *require* a degree, which tbh is a very wide range.

Here's a few:
https://www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/highest-paying-jobs-without-a-degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Well clearly that's not true.

You can do anything you like that doesn't *require* a degree, which tbh is a very wide range.

Here's a few:
https://www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/highest-paying-jobs-without-a-degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes you say that? :/ its been a decade since I took my A levels, I wouldn't be able to get the same grades now.
Thanks, ill check out the link.
Reply 3
What makes you say that? :/ its been a decade since I took my A levels, I wouldn't be able to get the same grades now.
Thanks, ill check out the link.

You don't become unintelligent.

Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
You don't become unintelligent.

Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Years of stress and mental and physical illness can fry your brain. I cant even read a book now.
The idea of me as a firefighter, policewoman or a manager is just hilarious lol
I have A*AB A levels, and a higher education diploma in psychology (I didn't finish my degree).
Just wondered what the best job is that I could get potentially. I realize it wont be something very good because I'm not intelligent, but I don't fancy being a cashier all my life either.

Is it not possible to 'top-up' the diploma at another institution to get the full degree?
Original post by JudaicImposter
Is it not possible to 'top-up' the diploma at another institution to get the full degree?

Not really, I cant concentrate anymore.
I thought of being an air hostess but you have to be like a model or something for that job.
Reply 8
I thought of being an air hostess but you have to be like a model or something for that job.

No you don't.

https://careers.easyjet.com/cabin-crew/profiles/
https://careers.ba.com/cabin-crew

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

I just checked, I dont meet the height requirements for any airline :frown:

Your qualifications are irrelevant to your ability to get employed, your question is meaningless. You need to consider all the other attributes you have, and the limitations, and consider your work options from there. You keep coming up with more relevant reasons that frame your employment prospects. Tell us more and we can make more helpful suggestions, but you clearly started from an irrelevant question.
Original post by threeportdrift
Your qualifications are irrelevant to your ability to get employed, your question is meaningless. You need to consider all the other attributes you have, and the limitations, and consider your work options from there. You keep coming up with more relevant reasons that frame your employment prospects. Tell us more and we can make more helpful suggestions, but you clearly started from an irrelevant question.

What do you need to know? Attributes are subjective and I cant prove them, even if I had any.
What do you need to know? Attributes are subjective and I cant prove them, even if I had any.

Approximate age
Health limitations
Past employment experience
Volunteering experience
Work preferences
Ability to relocate ....
Approximate age
Health limitations
Past employment experience
Volunteering experience
Work preferences
Ability to relocate ....

27, could do an office job but nothing too physical, ive worked and volunteered as a cashier in shops and ive also been an admin volunteer for Mind.
I don't have money to relocate somewhere else and pay rent until I can earn and save, I live with my dad.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ive been told I can type fast if that counts for anything.
27, could do an office job but nothing too physical, ive worked and volunteered as a cashier in shops and ive also been an admin volunteer for Mind.
I don't have money to relocate somewhere else and pay rent until I can earn and save, I live with my dad.

It sounds as though a good route back into work could be through charities, either admin roles or volunteering initially (if you can afford it). Charities are usually well disposed to recruiting volunteers if appropriate openings come up. Also, don't dismiss taking on two part-time jobs, say that just need 2 days a week. Fewer people apply, and it gives you more experience to add to your CV and talk about at interview, because different organisations have different processes, cultures etc.

When you write your applications/CV, try and think of it from the perspective of skills, rather than specific experiences. So till work might not seem relevant to admin - but break it down and till work requires trust, accuracy, attention to detail, rule following and described like that, it becomes relevant to admin/office work.
It sounds as though a good route back into work could be through charities, either admin roles or volunteering initially (if you can afford it). Charities are usually well disposed to recruiting volunteers if appropriate openings come up. Also, don't dismiss taking on two part-time jobs, say that just need 2 days a week. Fewer people apply, and it gives you more experience to add to your CV and talk about at interview, because different organisations have different processes, cultures etc.

When you write your applications/CV, try and think of it from the perspective of skills, rather than specific experiences. So till work might not seem relevant to admin - but break it down and till work requires trust, accuracy, attention to detail, rule following and described like that, it becomes relevant to admin/office work.

Ive been volunteering for a long tine and was hoping to get something paid. I dont think trustworthiness means anything put on a cv without the evidence to back it up.
Im very wary of using a till again tbh because ive made quite a few **** ups in my time. My references wont be amazing.
Ive been volunteering for a long tine and was hoping to get something paid. I dont think trustworthiness means anything put on a cv without the evidence to back it up.
Im very wary of using a till again tbh because ive made quite a few **** ups in my time. My references wont be amazing.

Trusted to use the till unsupervised and take a variety of cash, cheque card and contactless transactions
Trusted to manage the shop floor without supervision
Trusted with unlocking and locking procedures
Trusted with cashing up procedures

All examples of where retail work might demonstrate trustworthiness, which can be taken as a transferable skill by employers if you are applying for a job that handles client or patient records for example.

It's fine that you are trying to get away from retail, and into admin/office work, but if retail is your evidence, you have to learn how to represent it in terms of transferable skills.
Reply 18
Years of stress and mental and physical illness can fry your brain. I cant even read a book now.
The idea of me as a firefighter, policewoman or a manager is just hilarious lol

From your posts in this thread imo you are capable of getting a good job if you went back and studied, but your mental health is holding you back big time. Try your best to get it resolved [I know, easier said than done]

I mean those A level grades showed very good potential.
Original post by ANM775
From your posts in this thread imo you are capable of getting a good job if you went back and studied, but your mental health is holding you back big time. Try your best to get it resolved [I know, easier said than done]

I mean those A level grades showed very good potential.

Its a chronic thing, I dont think it will ever get resolved. But yeah its a shame I had some potential that ill never use now. I used to think I could be anything I wanted to lol. Age can crush your dreams.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending