The Student Room Group

Tescos to axe 15,000 jobs and close meat and deli counters

Seems unthinkable that Tescos are in a spot of bother but loads of jobs being cut https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tesco-set-cut-15000-jobs-15737816

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rock Fan
Seems unthinkable that Tescos are in a spot of bother but loads of jobs being cut https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tesco-set-cut-15000-jobs-15737816

Unthinkable? Did you forget the whole lying about not having £6 billion thing?
What's Tescos?
Oh no, I always use their fish counter because the fish can sometimes work out cheaper. :frown:
Original post by Drewski
Unthinkable? Did you forget the whole lying about not having £6 billion thing?

To be fair there was that but still didn't think I'd see the day they would have to cut so many jobs
To be fair there was that but still didn't think I'd see the day they would have to cut so many jobs

Same here.
Reply 6
good - fish section smells like ****
Reply 7
That's crazy 15K, now that's gonna cause problems.

I wonder what they will do with the space used by those services in store instead?

How long will it be before someone says brexit did it 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
I blame the veganazis.
cool, give those 15k the sense to get a real job.
Original post by Paracosm
Oh no, I always use their fish counter because the fish can sometimes work out cheaper. :frown:

When i was little we used to go to tescos just cos it was near and i used to get really upset that the fish weren't moving so every time my mum had to console me that they were just 'sleeping' :lol:
Original post by TheNamesBond.

Some of those jobs are actually skilled jobs such as bakers and butchers
Original post by paul514

I have never seen a Tesco butcher slicing up a cow tbh.

The "bakers" are putting pre-mixed stuff into ovens, which have the timings of each product programmed in. No skill whatsoever.
Original post by paul514

Supermarket butchers and fishmongers have little skill, the meat is pretty much all prepared before it reaches the shop. I've seen the staff being rotated in some places so you can end up with teenagers working at the counters who would sometimes be on the till, showing how little training it requires, if any.

I'm suprised as many as 15k people work at these counters in Tesco nationally, that's a huge number of workers. There never seems to be anyone buying food from there, and what is on display often looks pretty stale, so I don't think many customers will miss it.
Reply 15
Original post by TheNamesBond.

Bit of a snobbish remark.
Reply 16
Original post by jameswhughes
Supermarket butchers and fishmongers have little skill, the meat is pretty much all prepared before it reaches the shop. I've seen the staff being rotated in some places so you can end up with teenagers working at the counters who would sometimes be on the till, showing how little training it requires, if any.

I'm suprised as many as 15k people work at these counters in Tesco nationally, that's a huge number of workers. There never seems to be anyone buying food from there, and what is on display often looks pretty stale, so I don't think many customers will miss it.

I personally never use the butcher/bakery/fish counter admittedly. Though I do use the cooked hot food deli which would be a loss if it went.
Original post by jameswhughes

Judging from their release, the 15K workers covers a whole tier of middle managers as well as others, the meat/fish/bakery people are just a portion of them. (no pun intended) There are around 750 stores affected, so even counting twice that number for overlapping shifts, that would be about 1500 people and not 15,000.

The cuts seem to be more to do with firefighting Aldi and Lidl than anything else. These German chains are totally reliant on a strong pound against the Euro to make money in the UK, as they import their stocks from E. Europe primarily. Therefore if we crash out hard, one likely side effect will be a mass return of customers from AlderDiddle to TesBuryDaTrose. Or not, as the case may be.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Judging from their release, the 15K workers covers a whole tier of middle managers as well as others, the meat/fish/bakery people are just a portion of them. (no pun intended) There are around 750 stores affected, so even counting twice that number for overlapping shifts, that would be about 1500 people and not 15,000.

The cuts seem to be more to do with firefighting Aldi and Lidl than anything else. These German chains are totally reliant on a strong pound against the Euro to make money in the UK, as they import their stocks from E. Europe primarily. Therefore if we crash out hard, one likely side effect will be a mass return of customers from AlderDiddle to TesBuryDaTrose. Or not, as the case may be.

Yeah, I thought the number was quite high - even if each Tesco supermarket has 10 counter workers, that's only about half that number accounted for. That means there's a huge number of surplus managers, the equivalent of one manager per shop (including Express/Metro) so it's not surprising that these roles are being cut.
Original post by NotNotBatman
What's Tescos?

Gets on my nerves too, they could at least make it Tescoes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending