The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2019 Cambridge PhD in Education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunnyakhan
I never even got an interview call. Is this a bad sign??? :frown:

Hey there! Don't panic just yet. I got my call only because I emailed them to enquire and that hastened the process. You might want to try emailing them to enquire about your appli status.

Also, tell us a bit about yourself. Which group are you applying to and who are you planning on asking to be your supervisor?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by xingyun
Submitted my application on October 3rd. Did an interview with my supervisor on January 11th. Still have not yet heard my decision back. Application status has been stayed at "under review by degree committee" for about 3 months now and the overall submission has been done about 4 months now.

(Probably have checked the application status page for thousands of times... lol)

Hope this information helps.

All the best wishes for everyone who applied this year! We will all make it happen! :h:

Which research group are you applying for and who are you hoping to get as your supervisor?
Hello all!

I'm applying for an Masters in Education and Psychology at Cambridge, although I have no background degree whatsoever in education OR psychology. I have a BA in Linguistics (2:1) and an MA in Middle Eastern Studies (2:1) - both fairly good London universities. I currently live in Cambridge. I've been away from academia for 4 years. Became a mum. Travelled the world for one year. Worked in editing. Do you think my lack of experience in psychology or education would affect my application? I will apply regardless, but I dont want to be too hopeful.

I'm not really sure how competitive the MA in Education and psychology is but I know that applications are considered in batches. The first one was 7th December, the second batch after 31st January and finally the third batch and deadline on 29 March. I won't be able to complete my application written task before the second batch deadline (31st January). I will probably submit a few days after that...but I'm worried that the course may fill up well ahead of the advertised closing date. Do you think its worth speeding up my written task...or should I try and perfect it and risk the places filling up?

Thank you and good luck to all!
I had an interview for a studentship position but that was turned down and was told that my application will still be considered for admission and other funding but no sign of admittance yet. They say they have a shortage of employees hence are being slow. But I have little hope to be fair.
Original post by Calikusu
Hello all!

I'm applying for an Masters in Education and Psychology at Cambridge, although I have no background degree whatsoever in education OR psychology. I have a BA in Linguistics (2:1) and an MA in Middle Eastern Studies (2:1) - both fairly good London universities. I currently live in Cambridge. I've been away from academia for 4 years. Became a mum. Travelled the world for one year. Worked in editing. Do you think my lack of experience in psychology or education would affect my application? I will apply regardless, but I dont want to be too hopeful.

I'm not really sure how competitive the MA in Education and psychology is but I know that applications are considered in batches. The first one was 7th December, the second batch after 31st January and finally the third batch and deadline on 29 March. I won't be able to complete my application written task before the second batch deadline (31st January). I will probably submit a few days after that...but I'm worried that the course may fill up well ahead of the advertised closing date. Do you think its worth speeding up my written task...or should I try and perfect it and risk the places filling up?

Thank you and good luck to all!

You might want to try asking in the main postgraduate group perhaps? Hard to comment on your suitability at this point - too many variables at play here.

Also, we're trying to keep this thread to be specifically on the PhD in education programme. Good luck with your application!
Original post by Ripon92
I had an interview for a studentship position but that was turned down and was told that my application will still be considered for admission and other funding but no sign of admittance yet. They say they have a shortage of employees hence are being slow. But I have little hope to be fair.

Were you the poster who posted about a studentship offer that didn't materialise on Grad Cafe? Saw one that looked similar to your post here.
Yeah, @serendeepity just checking around to see what other people are experiencing. My application is still under dept review. What about you?
Original post by Ripon92
Yeah, @serendeepity just checking around to see what other people are experiencing. My application is still under dept review. What about you?

Haha I was the poster you communicated with there! Still stuck under "dept review". I was told that I'd know in two weeks time which was two days ago. But so far, nothing new. They are pretty efficient at replying emails though.

Have you tried emailing them to see if they could give us any indication on how our applications are progressing?
Yeah, I have. They said they do not have enough stuff now. You can see people who are replying are the 'temporary' type. Maybe their real stuff are not back yet haha. I will just keep quiet and check my emails for now.
Original post by Ripon92
Yeah, I have. They said they do not have enough stuff now. You can see people who are replying are the 'temporary' type. Maybe their real stuff are not back yet haha. I will just keep quiet and check my emails for now.

True. I had a temp reply my emails several times. She's left though so perhaps the permanent staff are back?

Also, any idea if they work through the weekends? Some departments apparently do that and I just wondered if the Dept of Ed does since they're lagging behind with the applications as it is.

Which studentships did you apply? And can I ask, who interviewed you?
Original post by serendeepity
True. I had a temp reply my emails several times. She's left though so perhaps the permanent staff are back?

Also, any idea if they work through the weekends? Some departments apparently do that and I just wondered if the Dept of Ed does since they're lagging behind with the applications as it is.

Which studentships did you apply? And can I ask, who interviewed you?

No idea @serendeepityabout working over the weekend. I was interviewed by Paul and Jenny for LEGO studentship. What about you?
Original post by Ripon92
No idea @serendeepityabout working over the weekend. I was interviewed by Paul and Jenny for LEGO studentship. What about you?

Karen interviewed me. Well let's hope we hear something soon. I'm getting increasingly nervous as days go by.
again no results today :frown:
i called the graduate admissions and they said they will update the portals next week. However i was getting too anxious so i called my supervisor directly (Hilary Cremin) and she said she wouldnt be able to supervise me so i think its a no for me. If anyone is getting too anxious they can call the supervisor directly and ask. I was bummed initially but fate and luck play an imp part in this. Perhaps my journey is elsewhere. Whoever gets rejected, remember perhpas its time for you to grow somewhere else and the universe works in mysterious ways. Good luck guys <3 im hopeful from other places ive applied to so lets see.
and there is always next year so dont be sad guys, keep smiling!!! lifes beautiful :smile:
Offers/results will be coming out this coming week. Based on my (very expensive) phone call to the Department. Fingers crossed everyone!
I received an email stating that offers aren't going to be released this week although it's very likely that they'll start releasing it from next week onwards.

Apparently this week, they're still "processing applications and ranking applicants". They're also matching funding to applicants but this year it's been "extraordinarily slow" because they are short on staff.
(edited 5 years ago)
I received an email stating that offers aren't going to be released this week although it's very likely that they'll start releasing it from next week onwards.

Apparently this week, they're still "processing applications and ranking applicants". They're also matching funding to applicants but this year it's been "extraordinarily slow" because they are short on staff.

Hi serendeepity, thank you for your information. Does that mean they have shortlisted candidates?
Original post by Rosalie.
Hi serendeepity, thank you for your information. Does that mean they have shortlisted candidates?

Yes they have. I was told that all applicants have been shortlisted and offers will go out based on their rankings. So, offers may start trickling out from next week onwards.
Yes they have. I was told that all applicants have been shortlisted and offers will go out based on their rankings. So, offers may start trickling out from next week onwards.

Wow, they must received a lot of applications this year! This is so scary 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending