The Student Room Group

Holocaust Memorial Day

Today we remember the six million Jews murdered by Hitler and his followers in the heart of Europe.

https://www.yadvashem.org/27th/index.asp

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Bear for reminding us of this, one of the worst things to happen in all of human history and close to our own times.

We don't need to obsess over it to be mindful of it, but equally, it's important to read the facts and to face it. It's often a very hard thing to visualise the scale of hatred and organised cruelty that went into this and the way Hitlerism and the Nazi ideology of racial superiority and eugenicism led inexorably to it.

For people who don't know much and are curious, here is the Simple English summary from Wikipedia, which covers the basic facts in a short, clear page.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
Thanks for sharing. I think one thing that needs to be done about the holocaust is to educate, this article is pretty damning.
https://news.sky.com/story/one-in-20-uk-adults-does-not-believe-holocaust-took-place-survey-11619168
Are we not going to remember the non jewish people that died in the holocaust too?
Reply 4
here is a sample of what the Germans did in Poland: it is very distressing.

Spoiler

Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by AperfectBalance
Are we not going to remember the non jewish people that died in the holocaust too?

and it starts
Thanks for sharing, I hope this is talked about in schools tomorrow
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mohammed.Al-H
Thanks for sharing, I hope this is talked about in schools tomorrow

On Wednesday, in my school we are having a full day dedicated to learning about this :smile:
Reply 9
I've had mocks everyday for 2 weeks, so our year didn't do something for this day, but the years below did. I think they had to research victims of the Holocaust.

Original post by the bear
and it starts

What? the coverage of jewish deaths in the holocaust is very well covered and I think it is also very important to remember that there were millions of non jews killed during the holocaust and if you add the killing of non combatant slavic people in their drive eastward then the death toll looks even more disgusting.
Reply 11
Original post by TheNamesBond.
You must understand the Jewish propaganda doesn't care much for anyone else who was killed, as far as they're concerned only the Jews were attacked.

Of course Jews care more about the fact that 2/3 of the population of European Jews were wiped out. Just like British people care more that Brits that were killed during WW2 compared to any other country.
Original post by Notnek
Of course Jews care more about the fact that 2/3 of the population of European Jews were wiped out. Just like British people care more that Brits that were killed during WW2 compared to any other country.

I'm not saying it's unreasonable for them to care about their ancestors that were killed, I'm saying they weren't the only victims, the Holocaust memorial day should pay equal attention to everyone who was victim to the Nazis.
Reply 13
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I'm not saying it's unreasonable for them to care about their ancestors that were killed, I'm saying they weren't the only victims, the Holocaust memorial day should pay equal attention to everyone who was victim to the Nazis.

You talked about the "Jewish propaganda" which is just silly, as I explained above.

To be clear about Holocaust Memorial Day, it is designed to remember all that died in the Holocaust, not just Jews. Nearly wiping out a whole religion is a hugely significant part of it, which is why people tend to focus on that.
Original post by Notnek
You talked about the "Jewish propaganda" which is just silly, as I explained above.

To be clear about Holocaust Memorial Day, it is designed to remember all that died in the Holocaust, not just Jews. Nearly wiping out a whole religion is a hugely significant part of it, which is why people tend to focus on that.

A million people dead is a million people dead, six million people dead is six million people dead.
Reply 15
A million people dead is a million people dead, six million people dead is six million people dead.

There were 9 million Jews in Europe before WW2. A targeted extermination of a people based solely on the religion that they happened to be born in killed 6 million of them. This is a crazy statistic.

This turns it into a more significant event that must be remembered to prevent a similar thing happening again.
Original post by Notnek
There were 9 million Jews in Europe before WW2. A targeted extermination of a people based solely on the religion that they happened to be born in killed 6 million of them. This is a crazy statistic.

This turns it into a more significant event that must be remembered to prevent a similar thing happening again.

No it does not, it was not any more significant due to them being jewish or whatever race/religion they were the deaths of 1 jewish man is as important as the death of 1 British man as 1 Slavic man, you would also be crazy to think that it could happen again without a insane change of circumstances.
Reply 17
No it does not, it was not any more significant due to them being jewish or whatever race/religion they were the deaths of 1 jewish man is as important as the death of 1 British man as 1 Slavic man, you would also be crazy to think that it could happen again without a insane change of circumstances.

Are the deaths of all people during WW2 any more significant than the millions of people who die every day from preventable diseases? Should we remember WW2 at all?
Original post by the bear
and it starts

It is important to remember all the victims of the holocaust.

Nearly 17 million people were systematically killed by the brutal regime, we should not ignore the 11 million who were not Jews.

What? the coverage of jewish deaths in the holocaust is very well covered and I think it is also very important to remember that there were millions of non jews killed during the holocaust and if you add the killing of non combatant slavic people in their drive eastward then the death toll looks even more disgusting.

There is also an orchestrated campaign on the part of the alt-right and the new european far right to diminish the genocide directed against the Jews by attempting to muddle it with the wider casualties of Nazism. Your posts appear to be buying into this campaign.

The genocide was directed primarily at Jews. The Nazi extermination machinery of the death camps was aimed at Jews. It also encompassed along the way some other groups such as homosexuals and gypsies.

There was no Nazi plan as such for genocide against the Slavic peoples at that time, although they did carry out huge killings in Slavic territories and particularly against Russian prisoners and against Poles. This is not to diminish those mass murders, but they are not regarded by most historians as part of the extermination effort. They were additional egregious acts of the Nazi regime, of which there were many. The extermination camps and Project Reinhardt, the planned elimination of the Jews, stand alone as infamous human acts of planned mass murder and deliberate genocide. The other killings are evil examples of the random killing and war-linked and conquest-linked extreme murderousness.

Quick Reply

Latest