The Student Room Group

I keep saying Holy S**t , habit picked up by hearing other people say it, but I am a

I am a Christian and I am usually very respectful and don't use the Lord's name in vain, until recently I find myself coming out with '' Holy S h i t '' a lot and I know it is because I keep hearing people say it, whether it be on YouTube, TV or out in public.
I often hear a young boy in our area shouting Holy **** and I think he has learned that from his parents but I have now picked up on it as well and I say it a lot without realising and even said it at Church once in the tea and coffee room.

How can I try and get myself to get it out of my head to not keep saying it ? it doesn't help when I hear people around me say it on a regular basis.

thanks
The Lord does not care if you swear, just like how Santa doesn't care if you don't give him milk and cookies.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
The Lord does not care if you swear, just like how Santa doesn't care if you don't give him milk and cookies.

I disagree
Original post by Cleverboy1991
I disagree

Listen, I cannot help you, I don't believe in a God, if He does exist He has more important things to deal with than you swearing like world hunger, poverty, racism, sexism, murder and rape, but since He doesn't quite care about those issues that leads me to believe that you're little dilemma is quite miniscule.
Listen, I cannot help you, I don't believe in a God, if He does exist He has more important things to deal with than you swearing like world hunger, poverty, racism, sexism, murder and rape, but since He doesn't quite care about those issues that leads me to believe that you're little dilemma is quite miniscule.

Of course he cares about those issues, those people need to pray and ask the Lord for guidance e.t.c. but that has nothing to do with this topic so keep on topic please
Given your desire to stop you will probably find yourself not saying it soon enough.
Thank goodness that s*** is not the name of God. You're safe.
Of course he cares about those issues, those people need to pray and ask the Lord for guidance e.t.c. but that has nothing to do with this topic so keep on topic please

People being tortured and raped need to ask God for help and guidance? Makes sense, God feels the need to be asked for and only then will He help, quite the narcissist, it has everything to do with this topic, swear all you like, enjoy it, is God mad that He can't swear?
Original post by yankeedog1953
Given your desire to stop you will probably find yourself not saying it soon enough.

I hope so but I seem to be saying it more and more and I think a lot of it is down to that little boy because I always here him shouting holy **** out in the street in our home area but I hear a lot of other people say it and it is like it is stuck in my mind and I seem to be coming out and saying it a lot
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Thank goodness that s*** is not the name of God. You're safe.

what do you mean ? thanks
People being tortured and raped need to ask God for help and guidance? Makes sense, God feels the need to be asked for and only then will He help, quite the narcissist, it has everything to do with this topic, swear all you like, enjoy it, is God mad that He can't swear?

You speak with bitterness on your tongue. Tell me, what experiences of the world have made you view God in such a way? People like you ask why God doesn't do anything, well, what about the people who believe in God that don't try to resolve these problems, why don't you make intelligent discourse with them instead? You use your fingers to type ill of God, yet He hasn't cut your hands off, but people like you are blind to that.
Original post by Anonymous
You speak with bitterness on your tongue. Tell me, what experiences of the world have made you view God in such a way? People like you ask why God doesn't do anything, well, what about the people who believe in God that don't try to resolve these problems, why don't you make intelligent discourse with them instead? You use your fingers to type ill of God, yet He hasn't cut your hands off, but people like you are blind to that.

Experiences?

Are you living in a cave, do you watch the news, all these disgusting acts occur everyday, but God is up there smoking a fat one watching us like a reality show.

God hasn't cut my hands off? I pity you, honestly, there is no God, atleast of Religion, face reality instead of seeking comfort in a coddling little faith.

Your religion is based on a book written thousands of years ago by the founders of your religion, let's not talk about common sense.
Experiences?

Are you living in a cave, do you watch the news, all these disgusting acts occur everyday, but God is up there smoking a fat one watching us like a reality show.

God hasn't cut my hands off? I pity you, honestly, there is no God, atleast of Religion, face reality instead of seeking comfort in a coddling little faith.

Your religion is based on a book written thousands of years ago by the founders of your religion, let's not talk about common sense.

You speak about common sense but you base your opinions of the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth off of what you see on the news? Okay, that sums up your intellect. And if there is no God then why are you insulting Him? If He doesn't exist then why are you commenting on this post and getting so enraged by it?

You don't need to pity me, you should pity yourself. The smartest people that lived, like Aristotle, Isaac Newton etc. believed in God, yet you deny Him. Don't assume that because your brain cannot understand why and how God runs things the way he does, that He doesn't exist. That is a foolish way to think.

And don't bother replying to this post, instead spend some time reflecting on your own soul and work on becoming more open minded. Every human believes in God, whether you'd like to admit it or not.
Reply 13

Given how rampant those problems are if a god exists it doesn’t care about people or it would do something. There is no point caring about using those words if they come out naturally.
I use them as well but I do not believe in any god, it is something easily picked up and hard to drop.
Reply 14
You speak about common sense but you base your opinions of the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth off of what you see on the news? Okay, that sums up your intellect. And if there is no God then why are you insulting Him? If He doesn't exist then why are you commenting on this post and getting so enraged by it?

You don't need to pity me, you should pity yourself. The smartest people that lived, like Aristotle, Isaac Newton etc. believed in God, yet you deny Him. Don't assume that because your brain cannot understand why and how God runs things the way he does, that He doesn't exist. That is a foolish way to think.

And don't bother replying to this post, instead spend some time reflecting on your own soul and work on becoming more open minded. Every human believes in God, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Your last point is a bit insulting actually. Who are you to say what people believe and don’t believe?

If you want to think there is a creator without there being any evidence then fine, but don’t presume to push your beliefs on others. All that does is make you look stupid.

What a joke, I base my views on God based on the 15 years I spent believing in God, the indoctrination, the ignorance, the controlling and manipulation involved, that's what I base it on, I can talk about God in whatever way I want to, I comment on these topics so that people are given an alternate side, to tell them that they aren't alone, they can believe in whatever they want to.

YYou don't need to pity me, you should pity yourself. The smartest people that lived, like Aristotle, Isaac Newton etc. believed in God, yet you deny Him. Don't assume that because your brain cannot understand why and how God runs things the way he does, that He doesn't exist. That is a foolish way to think.

Why's that? Because I actually think about what I myself believe in? Because I actually think for myself unlike blindly following an ancient book written by the founders of a religion? Yeh I'm the nut here, so what if intelligent people believe in God, Einstein and Stephen Hawking didn't believe in God, being intelligent and believing in God at the same time doesnt prove the existence of God, get some sense.

YAnd don't bother replying to this post, instead spend some time reflecting on your own soul and work on becoming more open minded. Every human believes in God, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Lol I will respond to your posts, for the sake of intellect, actually you're wrong, not every human believes in God, honestly, you really are a clown.
Apologies, I didn't mean to insult you, merely state a fact. It's interesting how athiests spend so much time thinking about a being that apparently doesn't exist.

Also, Einstein once spoke of understanding the universe, whereby he said 'I'll leave the rest to God.' Stephen Hawking presented an equation that stated it was mathematically impossible for the universe to come about on its own. So take your pick.

Regardless, TheNamesBond has responded with nothing but emotional outbursts. This is a classical scenario whereby one goes through experiences that leave them with a bitter taste of religion. And it leaves you with a hatred towards God. I hope God guides you to the truth and helps you find prosperity in all that you do.
Apologies, I didn't mean to insult you, merely state a fact. It's interesting how athiests spend so much time thinking about a being that apparently doesn't exist.

Atheists talk about it because they are trying to combat the wide spread indoctrination, offering another side.

Also, Einstein once spoke of understanding the universe, whereby he said 'I'll leave the rest to God.' Stephen Hawking presented an equation that stated it was mathematically impossible for the universe to come about on its own. So take your pick.

Like I said, being an intelligent person and believing in God doesn't prove that God exists, Stephen Hawkings equation can also mean how did God come to existence, it's just as perplexing as the universe coming out of nowhere, atleast scientists are actually trying to find the truth rather than staring at a book.

Regardless, TheNamesBond has responded with nothing but emotional outbursts. This is a classical scenario whereby one goes through experiences that leave them with a bitter taste of religion. And it leaves you with a hatred towards God. I hope God guides you to the truth and helps you find prosperity in all that you do.

Actually I've done much more than that, your classical scenario is not true, I was a believer for years, finally I believed in what I actually believed in, so I talk to people who are in cuffs in religion, who want to leave but don't have the courage, I talk about God because so many people are misunderstood.

You are a fool, no doubt.
i've often wondered this too as i have the same dilemma. same with goddammit. used to say it a lot especially after watching south park but i always felt guilty after saying it. how could i not when you're often told that even saying 'oh my God' is taking the Lord's name in vain....
Atheists talk about it because they are trying to combat the wide spread indoctrination, offering another side.

Like I said, being an intelligent person and believing in God doesn't prove that God exists, Stephen Hawkings equation can also mean how did God come to existence, it's just as perplexing as the universe coming out of nowhere, atleast scientists are actually trying to find the truth rather than staring at a book.

Actually I've done much more than that, your classical scenario is not true, I was a believer for years, finally I believed in what I actually believed in, so I talk to people who are in cuffs in religion, who want to leave but don't have the courage, I talk about God because so many people are misunderstood.

You are a fool, no doubt.

This is an interesting discussion and I see the anonymous poster hasn't responded so I'll do it for them. Hopefully my answers are better. Firstly, you keep assuming it's indoctrination. But there's many people who actually use their rationally faculties to deduce that there is a Creator. Scientists admit that the universe has a beginning, it is not an infinite reality, as infinity is not possible, and that's also been proven by Maths. Therefore if there is a beginning then at one point the universe didn't exist. If it didn't exist then it couldn't have made itself. Hence, there must have been a Creator by that logic. And if you ask 'who created God?', well that's a question that implies you don't understand the concept of God. God is not bound to the laws of His creation, therefore, you cannot apply these rules to Him, saying He 'had to be created'. Same goes with time, space etc. He created these things so how can He be bound to them?

You misunderstood the point regarding intelligence. The point the individual was trying to make was that people more intelligent than most people believed in God, yet, most athiests have an arrogance in them in that they think that their logic should be able to comprehend God's being. To think that you're smart enough to understand how God works and why He does things the way He does them is very arrogant. Sure, there are some things that we can understand, but to ask 'who made God? Why can't I see Him? etc. If we could comprehend God in our 3lb pain, then He wouldn't be God, would He?
The attempt of an individual to even try to contemplate God's being is beyond foolish. His being is outside the realm of creation, so how could you possibly come to know God except through what He tells you about Him?

The original poster didn't say they were 'in cuffs in religion', nor did they say they 'wanted to leave but didn't have the courage', so why are you bringing this up? And their post wasn't to do with religion but the point of refraining from saying the two words they mentioned, so you're clearly looking to just vent about religion and be the 'saviour' for mankind. But your arrogance is in thinking you've figured it all out, and everybody who follows religion doesn't know what's going on. Perhaps you yourself have become indoctrinated into athiesm. And you say you 'were' a believer. What kind of faith is it if it can be broken?

I've heard the arguments of athiests plenty of times. And most often you blindly followed and didn't bother trying to understand religion properly. Yes, it is true that most religions are corrupted beliefs, but don't think that just because the religion you claimed to believe in was wrong that God isn't real. And don't use that to then denounce all religions when you haven't studied them all properly. And God is All Wise. He knows you may not find the truth in this life, but as long as you continue searching for it, He will enter you into His mercy.

I'll leave you with this > Science says that there's a 99.999999999% chance that there was a Creator, and a 0.0000000000001% chance that this universe came about on it's own. So tell me, if your rational faculties have you place your bets on the latter percentage, then can you really say you're using your intellect and that you yourself haven't been indoctrinated and instead just blindly follow..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending