The Student Room Group

Flat/ Round Earth Theory

I would love to hear opinions and explanations as to why you believe the earth is either round or flat?

I've grown up believing the earth is round but recently I've seen a number of people increase to say its flat. I genuinely just want to see logic and evidence for either way because now I just feel confused

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abida.etc
I would love to hear opinions and explanations as to why you believe the earth is either round or flat?

I've grown up believing the earth is round but recently I've seen a number of people increase to say its flat. I genuinely just want to see logic and evidence for either way because now I just feel confused

There is no logic or evidence for flat earth theory. A lot of people who say they believe it are just doing it to appear different and to get attention.
Original post by DrawTheLine
There is no logic or evidence for flat earth theory. A lot of people who say they believe it are just doing it to appear different and to get attention.

My belief was that our eyes 'see' the earth as flat because, firstly the earth is so big and we are so small, secondly our vision is not strong enough to see beyong the horizon.
I believe the earth is round because I am not a gullible moron.
Jheez I hope that wasn't directed at me. I just wanted to know the logic behind such people, of course I know it's not real.
When will people get it in their heads that the earth is a goddamn triangle!
Jheez I hope that wasn't directed at me. I just wanted to know the logic behind such people, of course I know it's not real.

Nope, it was directed at people who believe in a flat earth.
Reply 7
Original post by JoshDarnIt
When will people get it in their heads that the earth is a goddamn triangle!

When it turns to cheese so that we can eat it !!!

Op learn about how planets (rocky planets) like the Earth form, in most cases they are formed from small asteroids collding with such force that they stick together (known as accretion). When the mass of these collided objects gets large enough they get enough gravitational force to form a shape that resembles a sphere. Because gravity pulls in all directions at once it would be impossible for it to form any other kind of distinctive shape.
No, that's the moon obviously. :smile:

Seriously though, I don't understand how anyone can believe the Earth is flat, there's so much evidence proving the actual shape of it, so for it to be flat, pretty much every branch of science, plus the whole aviation & shipping industries would have to be wrong orpart of some conspiracy to suppress the truth. When I first heard about the flat Earth movement I assumed it was just people trolling- I find it so bizarre that anyone can take it seriously.
There's a good Youtube channel to do with this- SciManDan. He takes apart the flat Earthers claims & the ways they misrepresent science & gives the proper scientific explanations in a way that's simple to understand.

Original post by JaseyB
Original post by JaseyB

Op learn about how planets (rocky planets) like the Earth form, in most cases they are formed from small asteroids collding with such force that they stick together (known as accretion). When the mass of these collided objects gets large enough they get enough gravitational force to form a shape that resembles a sphere. Because gravity pulls in all directions at once it would be impossible for it to form any other kind of distinctive shape.

Mmm that sounds yummy
Oblate spheroid
the planets are round, the sun is round, the moon is round, so surely the earth (also a planet) is round too.

also, I don't see how gravity works if the earth is flat.🤷
Oh okay lol safe
Original post by JaseyB

Yeah I would agree this is absolutley logical. As gravirty pulls from all sides, it would impossible for it to form any other shape than a sphere. Like a balloon, so when the air decompresses, it's not decompressing from one side more than the other, but equalling from all sides, if that makes sense, hence why it blows up in a sphere shape.
Original post by Alesha1991
No, that's the moon obviously. :smile:

Seriously though, I don't understand how anyone can believe the Earth is flat, there's so much evidence proving the actual shape of it, so for it to be flat, pretty much every branch of science, plus the whole aviation & shipping industries would have to be wrong orpart of some conspiracy to suppress the truth. When I first heard about the flat Earth movement I assumed it was just people trolling- I find it so bizarre that anyone can take it seriously.
There's a good Youtube channel to do with this- SciManDan. He takes apart the flat Earthers claims & the ways they misrepresent science & gives the proper scientific explanations in a way that's simple to understand.

Me neither, basically I'm a muslim and all my life I've known the earth as round, but recently an account that I follwed posted evidence in the Qur'an about the 'flat earth theory'. To me the quotes she used either didnt relate or didn't apply to that context
Original post by Leviathan1611
the planets are round, the sun is round, the moon is round, so surely the earth (also a planet) is round too.

also, I don't see how gravity works if the earth is flat.🤷

Exaclty, and if it were really flat, where is the edge so I can jump into space?
our vision is not strong enough to see beyong the horizon.

If yoiu believe that then you need to think about why we can see the sun, the moon and the stars, which are all well beyond the distance to the horizon.

evidence in the Qur'an about the 'flat earth theory'. To me the quotes she used either didnt relate or didn't apply to that context

So you thought the Koran might be right and the earth is really not round? The alternative, of course, is that the Koran is full of nonsense. I wonder which is more likely - a flat earth or a nonsensical religious document. Hmm. Tricky choice.
Original post by Good bloke
If yoiu believe that then you need to think about why we can see the sun, the moon and the stars, which are all well beyond the distance to the horizon.

So you thought the Koran might be right and the earth is really not round? The alternative, of course, is that the Koran is full of nonsense. I wonder which is more likely - a flat earth or a nonsensical religious document. Hmm. Tricky choice.

What I meant by the horizon, is that as humans are so small, and the scope of the earth is so big, we cannot see the whole round shape straight in front of us becauase it curves to which why we can't see further beyond the horizon- because it's curved. We can see the stars and the sun etc because we are looking straight ahead and not trying to look around something which our vision cannot do. E.g. looking at the earth from a human perspective just standing.

For the Qur'an as well as scholars who inteprret it for us to understande simpler, there is evidence for the earth as round, but I believe the person who was a muslim and said it was flat, may have intepreted it wrong. Therefore you cannot blame one individual's mistake on a whole book.

Evidence

Imam Abu’l-Husayn Ahmad ibn Ja‘far ibn al-Munaadi narrated from the prominent scholars who are well known for knowledge of reports and major works in religious sciences: they agreed the Earth, with all that is contains of land and sea is like a ball. He said: That is indicated by the fact that the sun, moon and stars do not rise and set over those who are in different parts of the earth at the same time; rather that occurs in the east before it occurs in the west.- End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa (25/195)

Abu Muhammad said: There is sound evidence that the earth is round, but the common folk say otherwise. Our response and Allah is the source of strength is that none of the leading Muslim scholars who deserve to be called imams or leaders in knowledge denied that the earth is round, and there is no narration from them to deny that. Rather the evidence in the Qur’an and Sunnah stated that it is round. and he quoted evidence to that effect.- End quote from al-Fasl fi’l-Milal wa’l-Ahwa’ wa’l-Nihal (2/78)

The evidence that the earth is round includes the following: He created the heavens and earth for a true purpose; He wraps the night around the day and the day around the night” [az-Zumar 39:5]. The word yukawwir (translated here as “wraps around” means to make something round, like a turban. It is well-known that night and day follow one another on earth, which implies that the Earth is round, because if you wrap one thing around another thing, and the thing that it is wrapped around is the Earth, then Earth must be round.
Reply 19
Me neither, basically I'm a muslim and all my life I've known the earth as round, but recently an account that I follwed posted evidence in the Qur'an about the 'flat earth theory'. To me the quotes she used either didnt relate or didn't apply to that context
There are references in the Quran that can be interpreted as describing a flat earth, but not explicitly so. It never mentions it as round.

The Greeks worked out that the earth was round over 2000 years ago but to the uneducated layman it appears flat, so either claim would be reasonable for the Quran to make in context.

It's kinda pointless using the Quran as a starting point for any explanation of nature as it is often vague, inaccurate and contradictory. I have seen a senior Muslim cleric state that the sun orbits the earth because that is what the Quran appears to imply! :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending