The Student Room Group

1st generation immigrant with slightly more right social and political views (AMA)

would say on the political compass i am right-central. Agree a lot with the lib dem but also share views of other more liberal and authoritarian parties. correction technically i’m a 1.5 generation immigrant as i moved to england at 23 months old and i’m 19 rn.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Blackberryjam
would say on the political compass i am right-central. Agree a lot with the lib dem but also share views of other more liberal and authoritarian parties

You are not anything special. Most immigrants (1st and 2nd gen) have more conservative views than liberal ones.

I would still ask some questions:

1. What authoritarian views do you support?
2. Where are your parents from?
3. Do you support Brexit or Remain?
4. Are you socially conservative or economically conservative or both. If so, why?
5. If you are right wing, do you support conservative views on abortion and small government with the erosion of the welfare state?
6. Do you think that all migrants (and their children) should be sent back to where they came from?
7. Who is your greatest political idol?
8. Do you think homosexuality should be criminal as it goes against traditional values of conservativism?
9. Are you African or Asian?
10. What do you want to be when you grow up?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You are not anything special. Most immigrants (1st and 2nd gen) have more conservative views than liberal ones.

I would still ask some questions:

1. What authoritarian views do you support?
2. Where are your parents from?
3. Do you support Brexit or Remain?
4. Are you socially conservative or economically conservative or both. If so, why?
5. If you are right wing, do you support conservative views on abortion and small government with the erosion of the welfare state?
6. Do you think that all migrants (and their children) should be sent back to where they came from?
7. Who is your greatest political idol?
8. Do you think homosexuality should be criminal as it goes against traditional values of conservativism?
9. Are you African or Asian?
10. What do you want to be when you grow up?

1. I’m pro-life and against euthanasia in most cases, my opinions on transfenderism and gender as a whole are also quite conservative. (i’m a guy)
2. My parents and I were all born in jamaica and my sisters were born here
3. Remain
4. I think i’m socially conservative with my views on abortion and gender although i think marriage is rather out dated and i do support secularisation.
5. i’m not completely right but i am much more then my families and i think a lot of immigrants. abortions yes i think after 4 weeks where the brain begins to form that termination of fetus is murder.
6. i don’t think so no
7. it’s not something i think about much but JFK was one i agreed with especially economically
8. no i don’t but mu views on gay marriages have changed i think marriage (although i think it’s becoming obsolete) should be heterosexual.
9. Afro-Caribbean
10. Neuropsychologist
1. I’m pro-life and against euthanasia in most cases, my opinions on transfenderism and gender as a whole are also quite conservative. (i’m a guy)
2. My parents and I were all born in jamaica and my sisters were born here
3. Remain
4. I think i’m socially conservative with my views on abortion and gender although i think marriage is rather out dated and i do support secularisation.
5. i’m not completely right but i am much more then my families and i think a lot of immigrants. abortions yes i think after 4 weeks where the brain begins to form that termination of fetus is murder.
6. i don’t think so no
7. it’s not something i think about much but JFK was one i agreed with especially economically
8. no i don’t but mu views on gay marriages have changed i think marriage (although i think it’s becoming obsolete) should be heterosexual.
9. Afro-Caribbean
10. Neuropsychologist

If you had to vote for a party in the UK who would you vote for?
How does it feel to standout from the black community? E.g by being a right leaning black guy
When are people going to start seeing people before race, sex, colour, nationality, etc?

Sometimes think I'm the only non prejudiced person in the country.
Original post by Davij038
If you had to vote for a party in the UK who would you vote for?

Lib dem i reckon
Original post by Professional G
How does it feel to standout from the black community? E.g by being a right leaning black guy

i start uni in september so i may have to keep my political views to myself but i think it makes me less of a sheep tbh
Original post by Burton Bridge
When are people going to start seeing people before race, sex, colour, nationality, etc?

Sometimes think I'm the only non prejudiced person in the country.

Humans are prejudice by nature, it’s in our condition to prefer people who are like us. i think it’s best to accept that’s the reality
Humans are prejudice by nature, it’s in our condition to prefer people who are like us. i think it’s best to accept that’s the reality

If you were white you would be labeled some awful things for saying this. We need to remove these double standards, the same standards must be neutral and the same for all.

Untill this happens a multicultural social will never be a sucess because of prejudice attitudes.
Original post by Burton Bridge
If you were white you would be labeled some awful things for saying this. We need to remove these double standards, the same standards must be neutral and the same for all.

Untill this happens a multicultural social will never be a sucess because of prejudice attitudes.

1000% agree with you
1st generation is usually conservative, it's the future generations that can be problematic.

Lib-dem= right leaning , lol
Original post by Libtardian
1st generation is usually conservative, it's the future generations that can be problematic.

Depends. Black people and Muslims are far more likely to vote labour despite being more socially conservative than your average Tory.

I had a black colleague who despite being a adamant Thatcherite voted labour cos it was the party for black people.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Davij038
Depends. Black people and Muslims are far more likely to vote labour despite being more socially conservative than your average Tory.

I had a black colleague who despite being a adamant Thatcherite voted labour cos it was the party for black people.

I find it really weird too. My parents are very Christian, conservative, anti gay marriage plus anti benefits yet they preferred labour and the Democrats.
I find it really weird too. My parents are very Christian, conservative, anti gay marriage plus anti benefits yet they preferred labour and the Democrats.

It’s not weird at all.

1; they got more benefits/ rights/ protections under labour and left wing parties
2: They are also lax on immigration, so it’ll be easier for their family and friends to come in.

Its a no brainer really.

I am also socially conservative but to be honest, if a ruling party in Nigeria say was willing to significantly better my living standards id vote for them to stay in power even if I knew that what they were doing so negatively effected native Nigerians, I could also pretend to support gay rights too if it came to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending