The Student Room Group

Brexit- Your view

What everyone's views on Brexit? I would like to have a debate on it and see everyone point of view on the issue, and people's views from around the world. My personal view is that we should remain, but I will of course be respectful of others views, and interested to hear the opposite view.

P.S Just a note to say remember to have civil discussion's, and to let everyone express there point of view, as I don't want to cause an argument, more of a discussion. Apart from that it would be great to hear everyone's views.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student-talk
What everyone's views on Brexit? I would like to have a debate on it and see everyone point of view on the issue, and people's views from around the world. My personal view is that we should remain, but I will of course be respectful of others views, and interested to hear the opposite view.

P.S Just a note to say remember to have civil discussion's, and to let everyone express there point of view, as I don't want to cause an argument, more of a discussion. Apart from that it would be great to hear everyone's views.

I have quite mixed views. I would not support Brexit, but a second vote would cause chaos and I believe it would defeat the point of a democracy. However, a lot of Brexit voters have since died (due in part to a lot of elderly people voting for Brexit), which makes me think that maybe the result would be very different if the vote did occur again.

I believe that any democratic mandate for Brexit has been significantly undermined, and that a second referendum is now the least worse option for at least partly resolving this mess.

The problem is that Parliament appears to be deadlock with little hope of resolution. There is not enough support in the House of Commons for a second referendum, nor is there enough for May's deal. No deal would be the default option if nobody agrees on anything, but if Parliament chooses to extend article 50-which is very likely, considering that May and Corbyn have both stated they are against a no-deal scenario-then that's off the table.

We appear to be stuck in political deadlock for time being, which could very well lead to catastrophe.
Original post by kazzykat95
I have quite mixed views. I would not support Brexit, but a second vote would cause chaos and I believe it would defeat the point of a democracy. However, a lot of Brexit voters have since died (due in part to a lot of elderly people voting for Brexit), which makes me think that maybe the result would be very different if the vote did occur again.

A lot of elderly people also voted to remain. Also many people were swung into voting to remain because of the totally unfounded claims made in that leaflet and by the likes of Cameron, Osborne et al and have since changed their minds.
The only way another Referendum could work would be to have one that doesn't have remain as an option.
My veiw is it was brought about by polical games by the Conservatives to win votes, at no point did they ever think they would be in a situation where they had to act upon it. I said this was the case even before we voted. Conservatives have played party politics with no thought to what to do if we actually want to leave.

I personally hold the Conservative party led by David Cameron 100% responsible for the complete mess they have created since they gained office. I personally believe they have excelled themselves in complete economic incompetence on the scale which makes the global 2007 banking crisis look like a drunken nights stag doo spend on credit cards in comparison.

I predicted in 2015 that the Tories could cause unfixable damage to the country when Miliband got rejected, which was a huge mistake by the British electorate. If we voted for Miliband we would be in totally different country now I didn't think I would be proven to be as correct as I have been.

However Miliband was rejected by the people because he did not play political games. Very much the first to put his gun down on the battlefield and he got shot. Miliband would not have played politics like Corbyn. Even in opposition today he would have worked with May to get a solution.

Unfortunately both parties are currently playing party politics as opposed to looking after and/or trying to sort out the bigger issue which is bigger than labour tory differences. I was a member of the Labour Party I'm not now directly because of current direction on forigen trade relations, the involvement of Abbott in shadow cabinet.
So draw your own conclusions on my views of Labour. However as much as I do not believe in labour's approach to Brexit It is the whole of Parliament that is damaging british poltics.

If there is a general election before Brexit, I simply don't know who I'd vote for. Let's hope there is not, let's hope we leave with no deal and l hope it does cause short term pain, because I believe that we the British people can do anything. We will start manufacturing things again, we will gain trade deals with other countries in the end, that's a given but being so reliant on forigen food, goods and labour is not and cannot be good for the UK.

That's (in my eyes) why we are in increasing debt, every pound we spend in Starbucks, burger King, Costa takes money out of the UK and into offshore bank accounts for the corporate elite whom fund the tories, and the EU is actively doing very little encourage manufactureing in the UK. Every pound spent on local food, from local manufacturers and small businesses boosts the economy by continued investment in our own country. We simply must invest in our own country if we are going to ever get out of debt.

Another vote would be damaging, however should one have to happen remain must be removed from the table. The question should be how do we leave the European Union, after all the remainers keep saying the electorate did not voted for an exit plan while forgetting that the electorate did not vote for remaining in the EU and rejected all remaining parties in the most recent General election.
Reply 5
Original post by Burton Bridge
However Miliband was rejected by the people because he did not play political games.

No, he lost because he ate a sandwich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Miliband_bacon_sandwich_photograph

Pmsl that was ridiculous and he looked like Wallis!

Bloody stupid games the press do, I hope happy with your purchase tory voters?
Reply 7

I voted remain but would still respect the referendum result if Brexit was going even half as well as was promised. To insist we leave at the end of March ready or not is gross irresponsibility motivated not out of national interest but out of a fanatical obsession to get it past the point of no return regardless of consequence. The referendum had no mention of a deadline.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
The referendum had no mention of a deadline.

Here we go again, these points prove nothing and don't help, what's the point of saying this?

No it didnt but the britsh public are not stupid. The question on the vote slip would need to be 2 pages long to mention every point, the question needs to be consice. The terms of artical 50 was debated at length which was voted for with cross party support which a deadline was agreed and thus becomes binding.

The public did not vote to remain, they did not vote for remain parties, they did not vote for any type of exit plan either, however non of this helps.
We should leave the EU because I am pro freedom and therefore anti the EU as the people that run it are pro communism, like Junker (big fan of Marx and Castro).
Also half the stuff people on the right or left want is not allowed because of the EU, for example free speech or the death penalty aren't allowed. While renationalising the railways is illegal too.
Original post by Capitalism<3
We should leave the EU because I am pro freedom and therefore anti the EU as the people that run it are pro communism, like Junker (big fan of Marx and Castro).
Also half the stuff people on the right or left want is not allowed because of the EU, for example free speech or the death penalty aren't allowed. While renationalising the railways is illegal too.

Nationalisation is not illegal, the Death penity are not allowed because the majority of our country don't want it, that's democracy and nothing to do with the EU and the EU is not pro communism.

Unfortunately you are incorrect
Here we go again, these points prove nothing and don't help, what's the point of saying this?

No it didnt but the britsh public are not stupid. The question on the vote slip would need to be 2 pages long to mention every point, the question needs to be consice. The terms of artical 50 was debated at length which was voted for with cross party support which a deadline was agreed and thus becomes binding.

The public did not vote to remain, they did not vote for remain parties, they did not vote for any type of exit plan either, however non of this helps.

Hiding behind technicalities again... or Theresa's skirts as I call them. A deadline was agreed but to claim it to be binding regardless of circumstance or readiness is not only untrue but grossly irresponsible. If an army decided to cross a field only to discover it full of mines it would be insane to carry on regardless. She often quotes 'I believe it is the will of the British people' but seems terrified to check it still is. Considering her performance to date, I'm a little concerned about the fate of the nation being based on her best guess.
(edited 5 years ago)
Nationalisation is not illegal, the Death penity are not allowed because the majority of our country don't want it, that's democracy and nothing to do with the EU and the EU is not pro communism.

Unfortunately you are incorrect

I am not even sure what I think about the death penalty but it is a part of their human rights laws and most people in the UK are for it (not sure about the other countries, I imagine Eastern Europe is for it too).
Yeah they aren't pro communism per say, however the people that run it support communist historical leaders like Marx and Castro.

And of course they didn't vote for remain parties... at the time, they were still being promised raised plateaus of sunny delight if we all tried a bit harder, not a huge divorce bill and a minefield. Well, we have tried for yrs and we just keep discovering more and more mines. Your solution seems to be let's all put in a mad sprint and cross our fingers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
Hiding behind technicalities again... or Theresa's skirts as I call them. The deadline was agreed but to claim it to be binding regardless of circumstance or readiness is not only untrue but grossly irresponsible. If an army decided to cross a field only to discover it full of mines it would be insane to carry on regardless. She often quotes 'I believe it is the will of the British people' but seems terrified to check it still is. Considering her performance to date, I'm a little concerned about the fate of the nation being based on her best guess.

Vinny its not technicalities, bringing up the referendum was 'advisory' as you have several times on the other hand might be.

I don't know where you're coming from half the time, we are not crossing a mine field, we are not falling off a cliff or any other uber exaggerated biaist polical slogan you wish to quote.

When our elected politicians, vote in a parliamentary motions after debating them for set amounts of time. Furthermore it then get passed by the unelected House as soon as this is the process in which our socity works and its how our laws are passed. Therefore how is this not binding, based on what your saying no law in our country is blinding?
(edited 5 years ago)
Vinny its not technicalities, bringing up the referendum was 'advisory' as you have several times on the other hand might be.

I don't know where you're coming from half the time, we are not crossing a mine field, we are not falling off a cliff or any other uber exaggerated biaist polical slogan you wish to quote.

When our elected politicians, vote in a parliamentary motions after debating them for set amounts of time. Furthermore it then get passed by the unelected House as soon as this is the process in which our socity works and its how our laws are passed. Therefore how is this not binding, based on what your saying no law in our country is blinding?

I know the referendum was advisory but I have never used that in any of my arguments. I am however saying that if a decision (not a law) is seen not to be working then maybe it needs to be reconsidered or re-evaluated. Universal Credit, for example. That's the way common sense works. The way you lot go on, anyone would think we haven't even tried doing it your way.
Brexiters were sold a lie and told that the cause of their misfortunes in life was because of the evil European Union. They have a nostalgic memory of Britain in the olden days and wouldn’t mind returning back to those times when there were no foreigners on the street and you could still buy a pint of beer for a pound. The truth is the poor will still remain poor (even poorer now we’re leaving) but they’re still insisting that they don’t mind being poorer. These people are called “useful idiots” because they have been persuaded to vote against their best interests.

I still don’t think a second referendum would help. Brexiters are too proud to admit they’ve got it wrong and will proudly vote the same way if given the chance as people refuse to listen to the evidence and facts. Even if remain won, it would still be a marginal victory like it was in 2016. That wouldn’t resolve anything and parliament can still end up doing as they like (as they’re doing now). We’re in a quandary and I genuinely don’t know how the country will get out of this mess.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Brexiters were sold a lie and told that the cause of their misfortunes in life was because of the evil European Union. They have a nostalgic memory of Britain in the olden days and wouldn’t mind returning back to those times when there were no foreigners on the street and you could still buy a pint of beer for a pound. The truth is the poor will still remain poor (even poorer now we’re leaving) but they’re still insisting that they don’t mind being poorer. These people are called “useful idiots” because they have been persuaded to vote against their best interests.

I still don’t think a second referendum would help. Brexiters are too proud to admit they’ve got it wrong and will proudly vote the same way if given the chance as people refuse to listen to the evidence and facts. Even if remain won, it would still be a marginal victory like it was in 2016. That wouldn’t resolve anything and parliament can still end up doing as they like (as they’re doing now). We’re in a quandary and I genuinely don’t know how the country will get out of this mess.

Not a single Brexiteer needs to change his mind, silly. The target vote needs to be the 30% who abstained. Fed up being called a moaner and a loser? Be the voice of the majority! Don't get fooled again!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
Not a single Brexiteer needs to change his mind, silly. The target vote needs to be the 30% who abstained. Fed up being called a moaner and a loser? Be the voice of the majority! Don't get fooled again!

It would be nice if everyone who didn’t vote before would actually use his opportunity to let their voices be heard but it’s pretty unlikely. If the populace weren’t disillusioned before the vote, they definitely would be now seeing the shenanigans going on in the Houses of Parliament. I predict more or less the same number of people that voted last time would still vote again. There’s a chance it would even be less.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

I find it very difficult to respect the view point of people whom carry themselves in such a condensending manner, making crass statements about peoples integrity and intellectual abilities simply based on the fact they disagree with that person's opinion.

Just because you maybe prejudiced don't link that prejudiced to me just because I voted leave. Personally foreigners played no part in my decision to vote leave nor did the 99p pint which I can remember.

You are correct that another vote would solve nothing mind you, unless remaining was removed from the paper, then it could have a use. However I think it's a lot of expense for nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending