The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ThomH97
Perhaps he already has. Still a good idea to publicise the threats and the waste of time and resources.

The threats that barely exist in the first place.
Original post by zhog
https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/police-investigate-uk-man-for-retweeting-poem-mocking-men-who-say-theyre-wo

Surprised? Not really, the police just don't know what to do with themselves.

Actually, they do [IMHO]. They turn dangerous criminals loose as fast as possible [in conjunction with the Criminal Protection Service], while attempting to prosecute anyone who is NOT a burglar, armed robber, or murderer for 'politically correct' offenses. Note that i can say this, as i am based in the colonies. Cheers.
This the issue that propelled Jordan Peterson to global internet super stardom. He refused to bow to the Trans lobby's lock on the Canadian legal sytem and took a stand for free speech. The rest is history.

This guy is a brave man and should be applauded and supported. This kind of thing is obviously nonsense and brings the police into disrepute. All of us should exercise our free speech, and if it is treated as a criminal offence, not back down.

It isn't about bigotry, or even a lack of kindness to those mixed up people who think they are women or men, but don't have the requisite penis or vagina. It is about naked power by the cultural marxists. They want to force their ideological view, that gender is a social construct, upon the rest of society, by making it illegal to deny it. The police are just their pawns.
Reply 23
So the OP was being misleading as to the actual story. Surprised.
Original post by DSilva

How was the OP being misleading?
Most UK Monarchs were just as bad before Victoria.. posing around in tights, split mini-skirt and a codpiece. At least she introduced some family values.

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dez
I suppose at the end of the day it's the police's job to keep the peace. Perhaps a slightly misjudged action though, and clearly not one that's actually had the desired impact.

A shame that after being told what a total pillock he's being, he's decided to double down on it rather than actually listen to anybody except himself. Now he seems to be bleating on about suppression of free speech (on Twitter and in the media, ironically). It's all rather pitiable to be honest, imagine wasting your life on all that hatred. What a pathetic individual.

Imagine being a copper and wasting your life harassing innocent people because they post opinions you don't agree with!

Original post by Dez
But from the sounds of it the police didn't make any actual threats per se, they just mentioned that his transphobia could end up costing him his job if he doesn't wind his neck in. Sounds like fairly solid advice to me but I guess he felt threatened by it somehow. Who'd have thought it eh? A thin-skinned bigot...

The only reason it doesn't seem threatening to you is because you don't agree with what the man is saying, so you're happy for him to be challenged over it. But imagine a slightly different scenario. You are a gay person posting pro LGBT stuff on your feed all day because it's something you believe in. The police phone you up, threatening your job if you keep posting stuff and telling you to "check your thinking" if you keep posting that material. Wouldn't you feel threatened, and concerned that your right to express your political opinions was being, not completely denied, but heavily suppressed?

If an officer tried this with me I'd instruct them not to contact me again. Failing to do this could see the officer themselves fall foul of harassment laws, if they knew their contacting me was unwanted.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

Thanx for your contribution, useful as ever. :biggrin:
Original post by Rabbit2
Actually, they do [IMHO]. They turn dangerous criminals loose as fast as possible [in conjunction with the Criminal Protection Service], while attempting to prosecute anyone who is NOT a burglar, armed robber, or murderer for 'politically correct' offenses. Note that i can say this, as i am based in the colonies. Cheers.

Not to mention the rape cases where it was found that their conduct was worthy of calling the cops...
Original post by Dez
The threats that barely exist in the first place.

And that's exactly where we want them to stay, this is never about the one incident. It's always much more about what it may lead up to if nobody objects. Immigration, that's another one.
Lesson to be learned from all this: if you ever get a knock for something you've written in here, the Mail is the place to take your story to.

Funnily enough, I'd had that thought ages ago.
Original post by generallee
How was the OP being misleading?

He means that I am surprised, despite my stating of the opposite. He thinks it's clever, best he could manage... :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
There's a poster around who is decidedly not a fan, she warned me once that the secret services might one day take an interest in my posting. The first danger is that someone like that may spark the whole thing, Miller's case was due to a complaint by a member of the public.
Hate speech was created as an antidote to the US constitutional right to free speech, one of those american things that end up travelling over through a well oiled and politically motivated network. It is a leftist tool on both sides of the pond. Mind where you go, you lot.
Original post by CheeseManX
All this media reporting about thought crimes is completely overexagerated.

In the years I've worked in the police, onlince communication offences have made up an incredibly small part of my job. It's so miniscule I hardly remember the incidents. Even then, it'll simply be a case of going to chat to a person to advise them that a complaint has been made - nothing more (unless of course there are clearly risks of harm).

Just a note regarding the article - it's not general police officers - it's a community and cohesion officer. That would be one officer in a very small department, tasked to deal with hate crimes and hate incidents. The officer has obviously received a complaint from somone, and is simply responding to that complaint - which is what we have to do with every crime / incident (we can't just close calls).

I'm not here to say whether it's right or wrong. The complaint has been made to the police, there are strict definitions nowadays in relation to hate crimes/incidents and offences relating to online communications. This is from Parliament; not the police. The officer was from a department which deals with hate within the community, and he was simply responding to a complaint by giving words of advice. It's nothing more than that.

The whole "the met has X amount of officers dedicated to trawling Twitter for hate crimes" is complete and utter tosh. Misinterpreted quote and completely out of context.

Sorry but that’s only half true, yes it’s come down from Parliament the police should do this but the police then HAVE to choose how to prioritise reports to follow up.

So this force has chosen to give this a priority instead of all the other multitudes of crimes that are on the back burner or just given a crime reference number.
Consequently if I complain about racism then no-one cares.
Reply 36
Original post by Cast Iron
Imagine being a copper and wasting your life harassing innocent people because they post opinions you don't agree with!

The only reason it doesn't seem threatening to you is because you don't agree with what the man is saying, so you're happy for him to be challenged over it. But imagine a slightly different scenario. You are a gay person posting pro LGBT stuff on your feed all day because it's something you believe in. The police phone you up, threatening your job if you keep posting stuff and telling you to "check your thinking" if you keep posting that material. Wouldn't you feel threatened, and concerned that your right to express your political opinions was being, not completely denied, but heavily suppressed?

If an officer tried this with me I'd instruct them not to contact me again. Failing to do this could see the officer themselves fall foul of harassment laws, if they knew their contacting me was unwanted.

There's a difference between posting opinions and making personal attacks against other people for their beliefs. When somebody is straying towards the latter of those two, preventative action is definitely worth considering. Especially since trans people are far more likely than cis people to be victims of assault.

If somebody is posting increasingly hateful rhetoric online, how long before they decide enough's enough and go out and physically attack/abuse someone? Clearly the guy in the article has already intimidated at least one person enough for them to feel the need to get the police involved. Prevention of crime is more important than hurting somebody's feelings by calling out their BS bigotry, even if that person is entirely innocent.

All that said, I'm not sure this sort of thing should really be a police job. Before Tory austerity I'd imagine it would have been a social worker giving this guy a ring instead of a police officer. But now there's very little support available, and it's pretty clear that the UK government really couldn't care less.
Original post by Dez
Clearly the guy in the article has already intimidated at least one person enough for them to feel the need to get the police involved. Prevention of crime is more important than hurting somebody's feelings by calling out their BS bigotry, even if that person is entirely innocent.

Or, perhaps more likely, a trans activist who wasn't intimidated at all but saw an opportunity to harass, via the police, someone with whom they disagreed?

How does re-tweeting a terrible bit of doggerel to the effect that trans people have not changed sex intimidate anyone anyway? People say it all the time, online and in real life. It pisses off the militant trans activists, which is a good thing, and it is what the vast bulk of the population believes, and for good reason.
Reply 38
Original post by Good bloke
Or, perhaps more likely, a trans activist who wasn't intimidated at all but saw an opportunity to harass, via the police, someone with whom they disagreed?

How does re-tweeting a terrible bit of doggerel to the effect that trans people have not changed sex intimidate anyone anyway? People say it all the time, online and in real life. It pisses off the militant trans activists, which is a good thing, and it is what the vast bulk of the population believes, and for good reason.

Clearly you've not actually seen his twitter profile. He regularly makes personal attacks against trans people, albeit always using screenshots rather than actual retweets/@-replies. He seems to usually save the latter for correspondence with other users in his little bigotry echo chamber.
Original post by Dez
Clearly you've not actually seen his twitter profile. He regularly makes personal attacks against trans people, albeit always using screenshots rather than actual retweets/@-replies. He seems to usually save the latter for correspondence with other users in his little bigotry echo chamber.

I haven't. I understood, though, that it was the doggerel, which I have read, which was commented on by the police.

The use of the word 'bigot' as an insult doesn't work for me. It simply means someone who won't change their mind, and in almost all cases (including your use of it) the user of the word is just as bigoted as the intended target. Neither of you will change your minds.