The Student Room Group

Is resitting a year all that bad?

I left sixth-form in December. I regret it. I was in a bad place and want to get my A-Levels. The Principal says I can come back in September and restart from Year 12. Is this a bad option?
Original post by Year12Studentt
I left sixth-form in December. I regret it. I was in a bad place and want to get my A-Levels. The Principal says I can come back in September and restart from Year 12. Is this a bad option?

Only if you are an aspiring medical student.

Otherwise perfectly fine. just make sure you use the time to get yourself sorted out.
You could also use the time to get ahead and attend the year.
Original post by 999tigger
Only if you are an aspiring medical student.

Otherwise perfectly fine. just make sure you use the time to get yourself sorted out.
You could also use the time to get ahead and attend the year.

Thanks! Just curious, why not if I were an aspiring medical student?
Thanks! Just curious, why not if I were an aspiring medical student?

Because usually universities want your a levels in one sitting and don’t look at resits very well
Original post by Illusination
Because usually universities want your a levels in one sitting and don’t look at resits very well

Is that just for medicine? I’m not resisting, I’ll be starting, just one year late.
Is that just for medicine? I’m not resisting, I’ll be starting, just one year late.

Medicine or Oxbridge.

Most Unis, most subjects...Unis have no problem with it.

Are you sure about the subjects you want to do?
I wouldn’t see how it would be a problem!

I had a really naff time during my AS exams- ended up sitting some but it wasn’t the best because I ended up in hospital during that period of time :pinch: so had to re sit my whole AS year and then my A2’s.

If you can do something productive in your time off which relates to the career that you eventually want, then it would be an excellent addition to your UCAS application if you’re heading towards university. You’ll have to explain in your UCAS application why you decided to leave in December- if you don’t do something productive, then add in how you felt as though a period of self reflection was needed after your GCSE’s to understand who you are, and what you aspire towards (education and career wise).

Don’t waste the time between now and your re-admission into sixth form. Do something productive work experience, volunteer, fundraising,you could try and find a job that can actually help you develop skills, or even do some free language courses, first aid courses, etc etc. You currently have an abundance of time on your hands to add some really valuable stuff onto your cv which will impress universities and employers, so don’t waste it!

Re sitting isn’t that bad at all honestly, but you have to really be dedicated to doing well because it can be boring if you’ve covered some of the material.

It didn’t reflect badly on me personally. I’m currently attending a Russell group university (studying law) and they were extremely understanding of why I had to re sit. A friend of mine (who is 24) was in the same college as me and attends the same uni on the same course. They didn’t question her gap at all :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Medicine or Oxbridge.

Most Unis, most subjects...Unis have no problem with it.

Are you sure about the subjects you want to do?

PPE. I saw a guy on YouTube, Ibz Mo, and he re-sat a year and got into Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest