The Student Room Group

Getting into medicine with bad grades

Hi, I’ve been out of education for 2 years now (21 now), I got CDE in my A-levels (Chem,phys,maths respectively) but over the 2 year period of studying, I had a LOT of family and personal issues going on which threw me off track for applying for Medicine, depressed I left college and worked for 2 years in construction (I still am), which I find mind numbing personally. I have had quite a few setbacks in my life; for one I got carbon monoxide poisoning at a young age which caused some brain damage. Anyway long story short I was wondering what are my options regarding applying for medicine with sub par A-level results. Thanks guys.

Scroll to see replies

min a levels needed is aaa unless you apply to foundation years, but it's definitely still possible. Don't give up if that's what you really want to do
Medicine is highly competitive so realistically, even with mitigating circumstances, your chances are slim. From the University’s POV, there’s just no evidence that you could cope with this kind of programme.

I would look at the website of a couple of places you might consider applying to. See if they have info for applicants from atypical backgrounds. They might consider people after completing a 1yr Access to HE course for example.

You could also consider completing an undergraduate degree then looking at graduate entry medicine programmes.
Reply 3
Original post by Tayabah_
min a levels needed is aaa unless you apply to foundation years, but it's definitely still possible. Don't give up if that's what you really want to do

Thanks, I’m not too well up on foundation years...would I be eligible even with my relatively poor academic record?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Would I be able to do an access course with grades that low?
Reply 5
Original post by JPWR1
Hi, I’ve been out of education for 2 years now (21 now), I got CDE in my A-levels (Chem,phys,maths respectively) but over the 2 year period of studying, I had a LOT of family and personal issues going on which threw me off track for applying for Medicine, depressed I left college and worked for 2 years in construction (I still am), which I find mind numbing personally. I have had quite a few setbacks in my life; for one I got carbon monoxide poisoning at a young age which caused some brain damage. Anyway long story short I was wondering what are my options regarding applying for medicine with sub par A-level results. Thanks guys.

If your heart is really set on medicine your best option would probably be to retake your a-levels. Although there are gateway to medicine courses, most of them still require a minimum of BBC as well as meeting specific widening participation criteria (which you might meet, idk your situation) I’ve attached a link to a list of all the UK medical schools and their 2019 entry requirements, hope that helps!

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 6
Thankyou!
yeah min anywhere I've seen is BBC at a level and a fair set of gcses. retake if necessary, but don't give up. loads of people will enter medicine later, it's more common than you think. good luck
Reply 8
Original post by JPWR1

I have dyscalculia and dis not do so well at school. Try alternative options to get into college such as a an access to nursing course. Colleges are much more flexible about mature students. Once you can get into college it is rather straight forward. Apply for a degree such as nursing then apply to graduate entry medicine which requires you to revisit physics Chem and biology (multiple choice) as there is a day long exam along with essay writing and a social science exam! All very hard work and the long route. Gem is 4 year course. Its a long road but possible.
Reply 9
if i were to resit my A-levels, would I be able to teach myself and then sit the exams? If so, how do I know which exam board spec to study for?
Reply 10

If I want to resit my A-levels in 2020...how do I know which specification to revise in the meantime and how would I go about doing the practical aspect? Thanks again.
Get in contact with exam centres near you asap. see if your local college is willing to take you, or go to aqa website and check your local exam centres that way. for 2020 it's likely to be the new spec, but don't take my word for it. a levels are linear now so take 2 years to complete.
Original post by JPWR1
if i were to resit my A-levels, would I be able to teach myself and then sit the exams? If so, how do I know which exam board spec to study for?

don't self teach, try to get a tutor. the content is DIFFICULT
Reply 13
don't self teach, try to get a tutor. the content is DIFFICULT

I don’t mind the content, I prefer teaching myself actually, the reason for my bad grades is because I was going through a lot of personal issues around the time of exams which eventually led to me dropping out. If I do come into difficulty I will definitely get some help with it. Thanks.
Reply 14
Get in contact with exam centres near you asap. see if your local college is willing to take you, or go to aqa website and check your local exam centres that way. for 2020 it's likely to be the new spec, but don't take my word for it. a levels are linear now so take 2 years to complete.

If I resit my exams in may 2020 how do I apply with no predicted grades if the cut off point is jan?
Reply 15
If you’re open to options outside of the UK, you should sit the entrance tests for the First, Second or Third faculty of Medicine in Prague
Original post by JPWR1
If I resit my exams in may 2020 how do I apply with no predicted grades if the cut off point is jan?

You need to fully appreciate what ecolier is telling you. medicine is highly competitive at the best of times, so do not underestimate the task ahead.

If you think you have the ability to get AAA or higher, then contact the handful of medical schools that will consider resits and see how sympathetic they are to your situation. If no one is then you are looking at biomed and a transfer or gem, which is a risky strategy.

You will need some sort of tutor or referee that is independent and capable of giving you the required predicted rades and they will take seriously.

Do you think you have a good chance of AAA in May 2020? 15 months away? Thats a lot to sort out.
Reply 17
Original post by kaz143
If you’re open to options outside of the UK, you should sit the entrance tests for the First, Second or Third faculty of Medicine in Prague

And what can I do if I want to study in the uk?
Original post by JPWR1

Not sure about this. might vary form uni to uni. they will probably expect you to achieve the a levels first I think, but check
Original post by JPWR1
I don’t mind the content, I prefer teaching myself actually, the reason for my bad grades is because I was going through a lot of personal issues around the time of exams which eventually led to me dropping out. If I do come into difficulty I will definitely get some help with it. Thanks.

content has changed a lot for the new a levels, so trust me get help, even if you feel you don't need it!

Latest

Trending

Trending