The Student Room Group

Nike gets into trouble for "blasphemous" sneaker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Indeed, you see this much more from Cambridge students than you do from Oxonians. Meh, I personally think Oxford is much more beautiful with older, more medieval colleges, nicer and more exciting city. I don't really see the deal regarding subjects though, in every practical way there's not much difference at all, it's not like Cambridge students receive a higher quality education than those at Oxford...

I went to Oxford myself, and don't get me wrong, it is the most beautiful city. I think Kings College is the most spectacular college in either place though, absolutely stunning, although granted they aren't all like that.

This is off topic for the thread though. My thread!!
Original post by generallee
I went to Oxford myself, and don't get me wrong, it is the most beautiful city. I think Kings College is the most spectacular college in either place though, absolutely stunning, although granted they aren't all like that.

This is off topic for the thread though. My thread!!

Last post on this I promise!!:

Yeah, lots of people seem to love the huge, super majestic colleges like King's, Christ Church etc, and while I like them loads, I actually tend to find smaller colleges more beautiful in a charming, cottage-like way. My favourite college of all is Brasenose, especially its Old Quad. What I would have give to have studied there :daydreaming:
Nike is racist?
Blithering idiots.
Original post by Decahedron
:rofl:

You couldn't make that up.

RT stories? Well, they could be made up, if that's what the Kremlin wants.
Reply 25
companies like Nike manufacture controversy. £10 says they knew what it looked like and leaked the story themselves. there's too many checks/too much bureaucracy before a design gets approved and they spend a million on manufacturing. not like they get someone's auntie who knows nothing about art/design to whip something up.
the islamaphobia on this thread is crazy lol
Reply 27
It's complete nonsense of course and anybody with half a brain can see this. But I guarantee Nike will still capitulate, apologise, recall and redesign their stock. I gaurantee it, nobody ever gets away with upsetting the precious Muslims.
Reply 28
Original post by Rainfall

No smoke without fire....
Original post by Axiomasher

There is no truth at all in the scurrilous suggestion that RT publishes made-up stories on behalf of the Russian state to foster division and dissension among its western enemies, er friends. None at all. No, no, no.

You'll be trying to tell us next that the Moscow Religious Buildings Society didn't send a delegation to inspect Salisbury Cathedral in March 2018.
Original post by Axiomasher

It is not made up, you can find it on a ton of news sources on the web.

If RT covers it and the Guardian and the BBC are playing catch up, doesn't that say more about the latter than the former? Kremlin or no Kremlin?

The non or late coverage of stories like this, which get out anyway, (despite their best efforts) is becoming embarrassing for the mainstream liberal media

It both highlights their editorial omissions, and demonstrates their impotence in controlling the news agenda.

Obviously Islamaphobia

Yeah, clearly "Islamophobia."

It isn't bat$hit crazy to sign a petition protesting against some English text which looks a little like an Arabic word if you turn it upside down, or anything.

There is no Islamophobia on this thread. Nobody has criticised Islam; nobody has abused Moslems.

I think to be mildly irritated by something isn't the same as being afraid of it. There's plenty to be afraid of though.
Original post by Joleee
companies like Nike manufacture controversy. £10 says they knew what it looked like and leaked the story themselves. there's too many checks/too much bureaucracy before a design gets approved and they spend a million on manufacturing. not like they get someone's auntie who knows nothing about art/design to whip something up.

You might as well hand over the tenner now.
oh gosh
I walk around with Qur'ans strapped to my feet so I really don't see what the big deal is here...
Original post by Jebedee
I think to be mildly irritated by something isn't the same as being afraid of it. There's plenty to be afraid of though.

Agree with your first point.
But have to disagree with your second- be aware of the truth but never ever be afraid.
Causing fear is what most bullies, criminals and fanatics hope to achieve.
I say this as someone who grew up surrounded by all sorts of fanatics, knew plenty of criminals throughout my childhood and had my teenage years made miserable by the school bullies.
Original post by Joleee

I can barely see what people are talking about, even after looking up 'Allah' in Arabic. Unless they had someone who could speak Arabic look at it closely during the design process, I don't think anyone would have noticed.

This could very easily just be an anomalous coincidence not all that different from a Jesus on a grilled cheese scenario.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending