The Student Room Group

Euthanasia

Hi Guys,

I am currently conducting research regarding euthanasia for my EPQ and I have a few questions. It would be great if you could help me by answering these.

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised? Why?

Thank you!!
Yes, because everyone should have the right to die with dignity.
Original post by samiontheroad
Yes, because everyone should have the right to die with dignity.

Thank you for your answer
Reply 3
Yes, with careful regulation. I really think it should be on a case-by-case basis. Outright legalising it would have massive implications.
Original post by zxvs
Yes, with careful regulation. I really think it should be on a case-by-case basis. Outright legalising it would have massive implications

If it's alright, could you tell me what kind of implications you think it could have? Thanks for helping me out!
Original post by -epqresearch-
If it's alright, could you tell me what kind of implications you think it could have? Thanks for helping me out!

People could start getting it handed out like candy, It would be a bad choice to legalise it all out because capacity to consent is very dynamic and can change and as @zxvs said, it is best to deal with it case by case. I would also imagine those that are suicidal may ask for it.
Hi Guys,

I am currently conducting research regarding euthanasia for my EPQ and I have a few questions. It would be great if you could help me by answering these.

Do you think euthanasia should be legalised? Why?

Thank you!!

Like most people who pitch into this subject without much prior thought, you conflate euthanasia with assisted suicide.

Euthanasia is the killing of the sick, like puitting down a pet, regardless of the wishes of the victim. This is, and should remain, illegal.

Assisted suicide is helping someone to die at their own request. This should be legal.
To expand a bit:

I believe I should have the right, while in sound mind, to predetermine my own death in the event of certain circumstances befalling me. I should be able to write a document of binding instruction to my family and medical advisers that tell them to kill me if I fall into an irreversible coma, suffer injuries that remove my capacity to interact and enjoy life, or suffer incapacitating dementia.

My Parkinsons-suffering brother-in-law recently died after spending six months in a coma-like condition. He spent the last months of his life unable to sit up, completely incontinent, incoherent, unable to interact. I do not wish to suffer that, and my wishes, freely expressed while still mentally capable, should be binding.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
I believe I should have the right, while in sound mind, to predetermine my own death in the event of certain circumstances befalling me. I should be able to write a document of binding instruction to my family and medical advisers that tell them to kill me if I fall into an irreversible coma, suffer injuries that remove my capacity to interact and enjoy life, or suffer incapacitating dementia.

My Parkinsons-suffering brother-in-law recently died after spending six months in a coma-like condition. He spent the last months of his life unable to sit up, completely incontinent, incoherent, unable to interact. I do not wish to suffer that, and my wishes, freely expressed while still mentally capable, should be binding.

I am sure you can already sign a document incase of an emergency and lack of capacity specifiying you do not wish to have certain treatments (such as life prolonging/emergency) no? Sorry if I am incorrect. I completely agree with your point though
Like most people who pitch into this subject without much prior thought, you conflate euthanasia with assisted suicide.

Euthanasia is the killing of the sick, like puitting down a pet, regardless of the wishes of the victim. This is, and should remain, illegal.

Assisted suicide is helping someone to die at their own request. This should be legal.

Euthanasia can be at someone's own request as well. There are different types which include voluntary and involuntary euthanasia. Voluntary euthanasia is when the person can have the capacity to give their consent to die. Does this change your opinion?
Yes, I believe assisted suicide should be legal. I don’t believe anybody else has the right to dictate that one who is suffering and wants to die must continue living.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I am sure you can already sign a document incase of an emergency and lack of capacity specifiying you do not wish to have certain treatments (such as life prolonging/emergency) no? Sorry if I am incorrect. I completely agree with your point though

You can use a lasting power of attorney to give your relatives the power to make medical decisions for you when you do not have mental capacity. For instance, they can decide whether (while you are unconscious after an accident or seizure) to perform an operation or administer drugs, or whether to continue long-term treatment if you are in a coma.

That does not extend, currently, to being able to sanction actual killing, even if you have stated that that is what you would wish. neither are they permitted to assist you, still compos mentis, to commit suicide in any way, whether by supplying drugs and materials or helping you to get somewhere that allows it. This should change.
You can use a lasting power of attorney to give your relatives the power to make medical decisions for you when you do not have mental capacity. For instance, they can decide whether (while you are unconscious after an accident or seizure) to perform an operation or administer drugs, or whether to continue long-term treatment if you are in a coma.

That does not extend, currently, to being able to sanction actual killing, even if you have stated that that is what you would wish. neither are they permitted to assist you, still compos mentis, to commit suicide in any way, whether by supplying drugs and materials or helping you to get somewhere that allows it. This should change.

Okay thank you for clearing that up for me :smile: all the best
Reply 13
You should check out the Dutch system! It's partially legalised here and it seems to work rather well. Good luck!
Euthanasia can be at someone's own request as well. There are different types which include voluntary and involuntary euthanasia. Voluntary euthanasia is when the person can have the capacity to give their consent to die. Does this change your opinion?

Can be. Is not necessarily. You need to be clear..

I think my opinion must be abundantly clear if you read my posts.
Can be. Is not necessarily. You need to be clear..

I think my opinion must be abundantly clear if you read my posts.

Okay thank you for your posts!
Reply 16
Assissted suicide yes. If you are in a position where it is the best option you have available to you then nobody should have the right to deny it.

It sets a dangerous and limiting precedent to prevent people of sound mind choosing if they are happy to continue living or not. It seems very selfish to deny someone the right to control the end of their life, nobody should have that authority.
Original post by M.W.
You should check out the Dutch system! It's partially legalised here and it seems to work rather well. Good luck!

Thank you, I have been researching into that as well!
In my opinion it should be legal in cases where life expectancy is purely 0%.
Why would anyone want to spend their last days in horrific pains or pumped up with morphine to numb it off and still not functioning more than a pot-plant?
I think dignity and the chance of leaving this life should be everyone’s own decision in those cases.
I have had my discussions with my children about these things, and cause I have lost family members and sat by their bed on their last moments watching that empty vessel that was once so full of life, I know that they both would of chosen that option.
Again a opinion breaking topic, but an important one 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending