The Student Room Group

Official Solicitor Apprenticeship Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have a Law degree and I studied the LPC but i failed stage 1. I only passed stage 2. Will i be able to qualify through the apprenticeship route instead?
Reply 21
How many applicants would a typical large law firm give a place to, If they are successful in the final stage?

E.g., Dentons, Eversheds
Original post by Haider_A
How many applicants would a typical large law firm give a place to, If they are successful in the final stage?

E.g., Dentons, Eversheds

It usually depends on the firm and how many applicants stand out, but i know that it tends to be from 1-4
Reply 23
Original post by sahraazizzz
Did you get your others offers and what made you choose withers? Also how do you suggest I can improve on the verbal reasoning other than practice ? Thanks

I got an offer from Eversheds and invited to the Mayer Brown online tests but declined both. I chose Withers because I wanted to do family law, even just a six month seat at trainee stage. I disliked the fact that Eversheds was larger and more corporate focussed, also I didn't want to be in the same department for 4 years which was Eversheds' plan. At Withers I do a year long seat in 4 departments and then become a trainee and have the usual number of 4 seats each 6 months long.

The tests are kind of common sense. The maths/non verbal one isn't formulas or anything, it could be reading a pie chart or using percentages or identifying a pattern in a selection of numbers. The verbal reasoning is also quite simple, it's just correctly spelling things and using good grammar. You could be ask to simplify a definition in your own words or to write down the direct antonym to a word.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Lawwliet
I have a Law degree and I studied the LPC but i failed stage 1. I only passed stage 2. Will i be able to qualify through the apprenticeship route instead?

Unfortunately not. The apprenticeship is only for people who don't already have a law degree.
Reply 25
Hi,

With regards to accommodation whilst studying and working, would I still be able to stay in student accommodation for BPP, despite not being a full time student?
Reply 26
Original post by Haider_A
Hi,

With regards to accommodation whilst studying and working, would I still be able to stay in student accommodation for BPP, despite not being a full time student?

BPP doesn't actually have any student accommodation and doesn't partner with a company either. Because most students are post graduates it doesn't really make sense for them to keep halls of residence maintained as most people rent off their own backs. BPP does allow students to advertise their own spare rooms and the last time I was at the Waterloo campus there seemed to be at least 4 or 5 rooms on offer.

You could search for an apprenticeship nearer to home or you can find a place independently - quite often your HR team will offer support for that sort of thing as BPP don't, but it looks like it really will be your own responsibility to sort out where you will live.
Original post by fcmcmurray
Hi all

@s0phiec and I have seen a million and one odd threads about solicitor apprenticeships at specific firms or random questions being asked but never answered, so we thought we might as well start a central thread and get everyone applying this year and beyond talking together rather than in splintered threads.

We're both first year apprentices at Withers LLP and students of the LLB in Legal Practice at BPP Holborn.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you have about the application process, the pros and cons of apprenticeships and working life, etc.

Thanks!

Hi, I am very excited to apply to the apprenticeship at Withers LLP. When is the open date for applications? As I am franticaly checking the website.

Thanks alot.

Ps. This thread is very useful thankyou
Reply 28
If you're interested in what solicitor apprentices at Withers might do on a day-to-day basis, do check out & follow our Twitter page!
https://twitter.com/withers_apprent
Reply 29
Original post by georgesos
Hi, I am very excited to apply to the apprenticeship at Withers LLP. When is the open date for applications? As I am franticaly checking the website.

Thanks alot.

Ps. This thread is very useful thankyou

We're not too sure whether Withers will be offering apprenticeships this year - if you want to keep up to date with potential application dates then I suggest following our twitter, link in above post.
Hi, my name's Elizabeth and I'm currently in the application process for the Eversheds apprenticeship however someone at school mentioned the apprenticeship they applied to stated they would be refused if they didn't achieve their A-level predicted grades. Do you know if this is true or not? Did you achieve the grades you applied with? I was predicted by my school 3 A*'s for UCAS so put that on my application for the apprenticeship however am well aware I won't get at least one of those A*'s and will most likely get an A instead. I know I haven't been offered the place yet, but do you think they would refuse me for not getting my grades?Thankyou very much
(Original post by Elboreham)Hi, my name's Elizabeth and I'm currently in the application process for the Eversheds apprenticeship however someone at school mentioned the apprenticeship they applied to stated they would be refused if they didn't achieve their A-level predicted grades. Do you know if this is true or not? Did you achieve the grades you applied with? I was predicted by my school 3 A*'s for UCAS so put that on my application for the apprenticeship however am well aware I won't get at least one of those A*'s and will most likely get an A instead. I know I haven't been offered the place yet, but do you think they would refuse me for not getting my grades?Thankyou very much

Hey, honestly you have nothing to worry about as long as you meet the minimum requirements!
Reply 32
(Original post by Elboreham)Hi, my name's Elizabeth and I'm currently in the application process for the Eversheds apprenticeship however someone at school mentioned the apprenticeship they applied to stated they would be refused if they didn't achieve their A-level predicted grades. Do you know if this is true or not? Did you achieve the grades you applied with? I was predicted by my school 3 A*'s for UCAS so put that on my application for the apprenticeship however am well aware I won't get at least one of those A*'s and will most likely get an A instead. I know I haven't been offered the place yet, but do you think they would refuse me for not getting my grades?Thankyou very much

Hey, honestly you have nothing to worry about as long as you meet the minimum requirements!

@Elboreham, I'd say exactly the same - Eversheds' requirements aren't anywhere near your predicted grades (they were ABB from what I can remember).

It's worth saying that one of the less obvious reasons firms impose expected grades is because they ask that their training contract applicants have the same grades and you will become a trainee 2/3 through your course. You might notice, having got an offer from your chosen firm that specified ABB, that suddenly the university providing your degree have produced their own minimum grades of CCC or similar.

If you are really concerned about it, email the grad rec people dealing with your application, but it really isn't anything to be concerned about at all considering that you could miss your predicted grades by a whole grade for each subject and still be surpassing their minimum asking grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,
I’m thinking of doing a Solicitors apprenticeship. Can you give me a summary of what you do at the firm, lectures and studying and balancing it all. Or just a summary of what it is. I really want to become a Solicitor but was always told uni was the only option but was quite keen to do an apprenticeship as uni fees scare me haha. Also what do you think of your current firm? How do they manage it all?
Hi,I took my A levels 2 years ago and I’m currently 20 can i still apply to the apprenticeships ?
As an apprentice do you graduate as attend a ceremony? Thanks

Hi all

@sophie_chu and I have seen a million and one odd threads about solicitor apprenticeships at specific firms or random questions being asked but never answered, so we thought we might as well start a central thread and get everyone thinking of applying for solicitor apprenticeships talking together rather than in splintered threads.

We're both first year apprentices at Withers LLP and students of the LLB in Legal Practice at BPP Holborn.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you have about the application process, the pros and cons of apprenticeships and working life, etc.

Keep checking our twitter page for daily updates on our day to day experiences: https://twitter.com/withers_apprent

Thanks!
Reply 36
Original post by Salim_farah12
Hi,I took my A levels 2 years ago and I’m currently 20 can i still apply to the apprenticeships ?

You absolutely can!

Bear in mind that a lot of solicitor apprentices don't come straight from school, you won't be alone if you apply. The only requirement is that you have good A Levels, you haven't completed a law degree (LLB) and that you actually want to become a solicitor.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by kayla.lkt
Hi,
I’m thinking of doing a Solicitors apprenticeship. Can you give me a summary of what you do at the firm, lectures and studying and balancing it all. Or just a summary of what it is. I really want to become a Solicitor but was always told uni was the only option but was quite keen to do an apprenticeship as uni fees scare me haha. Also what do you think of your current firm? How do they manage it all?

(What I do at my firm will probably be totally different to what someone else does at theirs, so perhaps take my answer with a pinch of salt.)

My first seat is in Family, which was definitely an interest of mine when choosing the firm I wanted to go with. Day to day tasks usually include bundling (making up files for barristers and court), filling in court forms, doing research, attending client/counsel meetings, hearings and court - the sort of things a trainee can expect to get up to when in their training contract.

I find it relatively easy to balance everything. I will find a quiet moment during the week and do a lot of my studying then, but I always have weekends to prepare for Monday lectures if I'm struggling for time. The degree is made up of all the LLB qualifying modules which we attend online lectures for on a Monday. Lectures last an hour, maybe a bit longer if there are loads of questions from people, and we watch them at home. Every apprentice is guaranteed 20% off the job time for study (so, one day out of the working week) but lots of people might take a few days of holiday nearer to exams so they can revise.

A traditional university degree is not your only option, although it may be easier to get a place through UCAS on a uni course than it is to get an apprenticeship at this level. Things can get very competitive and there really aren't the places to go round at the moment.

My firm are wonderful. Withers has a really nice culture and everyone is very keen to understand what an apprentice does and how they can use them but they will also respect the fact that you have a life outside of work and degree to study for. We have a wonderful HR department who are very good at keeping communication going with our supervisors and always willing to step in and start a dialogue with the university if things aren't being done properly.
Reply 38
As an apprentice do you graduate as attend a ceremony? Thanks

We certainly do. We get a normal degree and will graduate from that like you would if you did it traditionally. (BPP graduation ceremonies vary from venue to venue, but we would graduate as a cohort of apprentices together). We also attend the solicitors admission ceremony - just like a normal NQ would.
(What I do at my firm will probably be totally different to what someone else does at theirs, so perhaps take my answer with a pinch of salt.)

My first seat is in Family, which was definitely an interest of mine when choosing the firm I wanted to go with. Day to day tasks usually include bundling (making up files for barristers and court), filling in court forms, doing research, attending client/counsel meetings, hearings and court - the sort of things a trainee can expect to get up to when in their training contract.

I find it relatively easy to balance everything. I will find a quiet moment during the week and do a lot of my studying then, but I always have weekends to prepare for Monday lectures if I'm struggling for time. The degree is made up of all the LLB qualifying modules which we attend online lectures for on a Monday. Lectures last an hour, maybe a bit longer if there are loads of questions from people, and we watch them at home. Every apprentice is guaranteed 20% off the job time for study (so, one day out of the working week) but lots of people might take a few days of holiday nearer to exams so they can revise.

A traditional university degree is not your only option, although it may be easier to get a place through UCAS on a uni course than it is to get an apprenticeship at this level. Things can get very competitive and there really aren't the places to go round at the moment.

My firm are wonderful. Withers has a really nice culture and everyone is very keen to understand what an apprentice does and how they can use them but they will also respect the fact that you have a life outside of work and degree to study for. We have a wonderful HR department who are very good at keeping communication going with our supervisors and always willing to step in and start a dialogue with the university if things aren't being done properly.

Hey i want to do a seat im family law too, do you think your seat depends on what you put on your application
- say I put that I want to practice commercial law on my application Can I still do a seat in family law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending