The Student Room Group

Car insurance for young drivers with at fault claim

This is probably a long shot but my insurance runs out in a few days and after my accident the quotes that I find are ridiculously high. So I was wondering whether anyone knows of a insurance company that could provide a relatively cheaper quote. Also the damage to the other car was very minimal as there was only scratches on the bumper and headlight
Reply 1
Original post by Saif9876
This is probably a long shot but my insurance runs out in a few days and after my accident the quotes that I find are ridiculously high. So I was wondering whether anyone knows of a insurance company that could provide a relatively cheaper quote. Also the damage to the other car was very minimal as there was only scratches on the bumper and headlight

Not going to happen I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Not going to happen I'm afraid.

Even if I was to pay £2,000 -£3,500?
Welcome to my world. Pay up and deal with it till you get some NCB and older, and don't do what I did and skip declaring it; it ends in tears. Once you hit the 2 year mark you're on the home run (I might -actually- see insurance for less than 1500 next year if I behave)
Reply 4
Original post by nevershear
Welcome to my world. Pay up and deal with it till you get some NCB and older, and don't do what I did and skip declaring it; it ends in tears. Once you hit the 2 year mark you're on the home run (I might -actually- see insurance for less than 1500 next year if I behave)

What happened when you didn’t declare it?
Reply 5
Are there any companies that you would recommend that would give me the cheapest quote?
Reply 6
Are there any companies that you would recommend that would give me the cheapest quote?

That's what comparison websites are for.
What happened when you didn’t declare it?

Cancelled insurance. For the record it was 1800 to keep my mouth shut and 2800ish to tell the truth. After the cancellation it became 3100. I paid 3100 again for my 2nd year, it would have been 1700 without the cancellation.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
That's what comparison websites are for.

Every website gives me a quote of a minimum of £4,000 though
Reply 9
Every website gives me a quote of a minimum of £4,000 though

Then don't expect much less! There's the niche providers like Adrian Flux that you can try.. but I wouldn't expect much of a change..
Reply 10
Try Insure the box if your a girl , they only insure women i had a crash a week before i had to renew my insurance and only ended up paying 1900
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Sr11x
they only insure women

No they don't...
Reply 12
Original post by Sr11x
Try Insure the box if your a girl , they only insure women i had a crash a week before i had to renew my insurance and only ended up paying 1900

How strict is the black box because I read online that a lot of people have had their insurance cancelled
How strict is the black box because I read online that a lot of people have had their insurance cancelled

This is a question I am desperate for people to stop asking. If you are getting a black box, follow the rules. Do not look for leeway. There are many posts saying they either got bullied by their box or that it completely ignored everything they did, but you can never get it wrong if you just stay within the limit and don't drive your car like you stole it. Unfortunately due to how volatile aforementioned leeway is, it can penalise you for something done entirely out of safety and in London, evasive manouevres are a daily occurance, I'll also accelerate hard to get away from anyone who's driving like they're half asleep. A box would punish me for that. Avoid them but if it's your last option, not really much else you can do lol.
maybe use public transport and go as a secondary driver on your parents car, driving sometimes building up experience, unless you want/can afford that much...
Reply 15
wasnt aware they insured young drivers just the fact i tried to add my dad onto my insurance and they said no MEN 🤷🏽*♀️ But looks like any young drivers can get insured, not sure if a boys would be as cheap as mine though but worth a try

Quick Reply

Latest