The Student Room Group

How has Trump done at the half-way point in his presidency?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38663043

How has Trump performed in his first two years as president? This article looks at some of his campaign promises, and how he has actually delivered on them. He seems to be delivering on some aspects of his promises by using a variety of techniques, but others are proving more difficult and are now causing issues - such as the unprecedentedly long shut down of the US government over the wall bordering Mexico and the US.

What do you think of Trump's delivery of policies over the last two years? How do you think the next two years will go? Let us know what you think below!

Scroll to see replies

Great man and MAGA.

Inb4 the hate from people who get their news from Buzzfeed.
Lol, the BBC have managed to leave out any mention of the progress in the Korean peninsula and that the Dems have been refusing to give him the bricks for the wall. Can't be bothered to check anything else, who cares? It's only the BBC, we know where they stand on Trump.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's funny how the MSM keep shouting down achievements by conservative parties in office yet do not see the failures of their liberal idols as such
Building a border wall paid for by Mexico was President Trump's signature issue during the election campaign but it still appears unlikely to happen.

Congress has approved $1.7bn in funding for 124 miles of new and replacement barrier since Mr Trump entered the White House, but estimates for building the president's desired wall range from from $12bn to $70bn.

In December, after criticism over the lack of progress on the wall from some conservative commentators, President Trump triggered an unprecedented 35-day partial shutdown of the US government.

That's the entire section on how well he delivered his promised wall, not a word about the role the Democrats (and the Republican establishment) have played in it. There's a single mention of them in the next section, in the most camouflaged way possible.

Estimates of 12 to 70 billion, he's been asking for 5 or 6! Are the BBC sure about this, are they getting their figures from Trumpophobes or something? This could go on and on...

It's in little things like these we can tell them, that is crap and politically active 'journalism'. Permeated with an anti-Trump bias from start to end, we can only hope it's involuntary. Hard to believe that, though.

Apprehensions are down on the border, they say. Yeah, because he got tough by wrestling children from their parents arms as they say too.
(edited 5 years ago)
The US has a defence budget of circa $700 billion; if, for example, the Pentagon pulled its troops from Afghanistan, Japan, South Korea and Syria, and stopped bombing North Africa/the Middle East it could build the most sophisticated wall - with state of the art tunnel sensors and the like - the world has ever seen, and still have billions of dollars in the pot.

Following the Democratic Party's line of thought: perpetual bombing and imperialism is ethical, but building a wall is unethical.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by zhog
Estimates of 12 to 70 billion, he's been asking for 5 or 6! Are the BBC sure about this, are they getting their figures from Trumpophobes or something? This could go on and on...

They're getting their figures from the various estimates that have been made as to how much Trump's wall would cost, from the most conservative small sums to the probably more accurate and significantly larger sums. The idea that a thousand-mile steel wall can be built for 5 billion has very little basis in fact. 6 factorial billion dollars though might just about cover it…
He's tried to do various things that are mostly not worth doing, and he has mostly failed.
Original post by Dez
They're getting their figures from the various estimates that have been made as to how much Trump's wall would cost, from the most conservative small sums to the probably more accurate and significantly larger sums. The idea that a thousand-mile steel wall can be built for 5 billion has very little basis in fact. 6 factorial billion dollars though might just about cover it…

Bah, they get their figures from associates on CNN who assure the world that walls don't work. They are the same experts who will tell you a paper wall would do just the same, you only need to get the Sillicon Valley luvvies and donors to electronically keep an eye on it. To make sure everybody goes over in one piece, more like.

Nah, the BBC could at least have informed the public of what he's asking for if only they were interested in the real world. It pains me to have to put the boot in them like this but they really are going to the dogs, all that internal social-engineering and scheming is beginning to tell.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by zhog
Bah, they get their figures from associates on CNN who assure the world that walls don't work. They are the same experts who will tell you a paper wall would do just the same, you only need to get the Sillicon Valley luvvies to electronically keep an eye on it. The Open Borders experts.

The first google result for "trump wall estimates" brings up a Fox News article, in which the minimum estimate they give is, surprise surprise, $8 billion. Not even the pro-Trump media think Trump's budget can cover the cost.

Original post by zhog
Nah, the BBC could at least have informed the public of what he's asking for if only they were interested in the real world. It pains me to have to put the boot in them like this but they really are going to the dogs, all that internal social-engineering and scheming is beginning to tell.

The article in question seems to be pretty factual to me. But I guess real facts are anti-Trump, the BBC should really be reporting on those "alternative facts" or something to maintain balance right?
Original post by Dez
The article in question seems to be pretty factual to me. But I guess real facts are anti-Trump, the BBC should really be reporting on those "alternative facts" or something to maintain balance right?

Of course it looks factual to you, you're as much of a Trumpophobe as they are. Why do you think they put 'the estimates' in, instead of what he is asking for? You call that reality?
Original post by zhog
Lol, the BBC have managed to leave out any mention of the progress in the Korean peninsula and that the Dems have been refusing to give him the bricks for the wall. Can't be bothered to check anything else, who cares? It's only the BBC, we know where they stand on Trump.

Out of interest what progress as been made with Korea? Seems to me they had a meeting which served publicity opportunities for both sodes and nothing happened. N Korea does what China tells them.

BBC site has been full of the stalemate between congress and Trump over the wall funding.
Reply 12
Original post by zhog
Of course it looks factual to you, you're as much of a Trumpophobe as they are. Why do you think they put 'the estimates' in, instead of what he is asking for? You call that reality?

Well… yes? If I get a set of quotes to redecorate a house ranging in the £1k to £10k range, I'm not going to assume that I can get the work done for 20 quid and a packet of raisins.
Original post by 999tigger
Out of interest what progress as been made with Korea? Seems to me they had a meeting which served publicity opportunities for both sodes and nothing happened. N Korea does what China tells them.

BBC site has been full of the stalemate between congress and Trump over the wall funding.

Come off it, had Obama met Kim like that and he'd have received the Nobel peace prize. Hell, Obama got it for being black alone...
Original post by Dez
Well… yes? If I get a set of quotes to redecorate a house ranging in the £1k to £10k range, I'm not going to assume that I can get the work done for 20 quid and a packet of raisins.

Who cares about your builder's estimate, do you ring every one to tell them about it or about what work you've had done and how much it really cost?

I've gotta do some work, carry on with the party and the few scraps the media toss under the table to feed the vulnerable.
Reply 15
Original post by zhog
Who cares about your builder's estimate, do you ring every one to tell them about it or about what work you've had done and how much it really cost?

I'm not the one proposing to spend billions of public money on a vanity project.
Original post by zhog
Come off it, had Obama met Kim like that and he'd have received the Nobel peace prize. Hell, Obama got it for being black alone...

What has been achieved?
They had a meeting and nothing has happened, but they both claimed respective victory.
Does N korea still have its nuclear weapons?
Original post by Dez
I'm not the one proposing to spend billions of public money on a vanity project.

Of course not, the people you follow want the border to be as porous as possible and a wall is a bit of an obstacle to that desire. To call someone willng to deter illegal immigration as possible 'vain' is an euphemism expressing how much bother that represents to them. They want to see thousands of people trekking the land, keeping gangs ticking nicely and generally just implementing the Open Borders dream. You want that too, don't you?
Original post by 999tigger
What has been achieved?
They had a meeting and nothing has happened, but they both claimed respective victory.
Does N korea still have its nuclear weapons?

What has been achieved? Much more than what justified giving Obama a prize. Tell me, what do you think Obama achieved to get the Nobel?
A M A Z I N G ! MAGA 2020 is coming baby !

another 4 years left of Trump :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending