The Student Room Group

The 'Amendment' Thread - Parliament to debate/vote on 7 amendments

Scroll to see replies

Corbyn is starting to really get on my nerves
Original post by Burton Bridge
I wish I could believe that, it basically makes a meaningful Brexit impossible. It basically means we are tired to a supersoft Brexit which means all the pain was for nothing and we had may as well remained.

It’s not binding. May can just ignore. No deal is the default.
Original post by Andrew97
Plot a crash out? Theresa May doesn’t want to go ahead with no deal. Neither do the ERG, the ERG would prefer a deal but just want no deal as an option as you would in any negotiation.

Individual ERG members have repeatedly stated that they would prefer a no deal - Rees-Mogg only pretends not to when it suits him tactically.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Individual ERG members have repeatedly stated that they would prefer a no deal - Rees-Mogg only pretends not to when it suits him tactically.

They would prefer no deal to Mrs Mays deal. Doesn’t say they want no deal above everything else. Plus individual ERG members do not represent the ERG as a whole.
Why are Parliament telling May to re-negotiate something the EU has repeatedly told absolutely everyone they have no interest in re-negotiating.

The level of idiocy in Parliament has reached an all new high.
Original post by mojojojo101
Why are Parliament telling May to re-negotiate something the EU has repeatedly told absolutely everyone they have no interest in re-negotiating.

It's a sort of collective fantasy, but they the Tories are also looking down the gun barrel of a general election that Corbyn might win, so their traditional desperation to hang on to power at any cost is coming into play. There's a huge element of clutching at straws though.

I agree. No Deal is the result of Parliament frustrating the negotiations.

But I wouldn't say this ploy will not work. EU negotiators know that there is a line in the sand and that we will be left dangerously close to No Deal should they make no concessions -- an outcome no one really wants, other than some people who are jingoistic and lack awareness of which century we're in.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's a sort of collective fantasy, but they the Tories are also looking down the gun barrel of a general election that Corbyn might win, so their traditional desperation to hang on to power at any cost is coming into play. There's a huge element of clutching at straws though.

I think the tories would rather rule a pile of ash than let Corbyn near number 10.

Original post by Notoriety
I agree. No Deal is the result of Parliament frustrating the negotiations.

But I wouldn't say this ploy will not work. EU negotiators know that there is a line in the sand and that we will be left dangerously close to No Deal should they make no concessions -- an outcome no one really wants, other than some people who are jingoistic and lack awareness of which century we're in.

If Theresa May goes to the EU now and tries to negotiate along the lines she has apparently been given then no-deal is bordering on guaranteed at this point.

EU negotiators are well aware of the threats (unlike their UK equivalents seemingly), they'll also be aware of what they are going to need out of any deal and pandering to the schizophrenic ramblings of a country who can't tell their arse from their face isn't going to be in their interest.

The press in this country has constantly focused on what Brexit deal can be sold to the UK public / engineered past the HoC, they seem to have totally ignored the fact that the EU also has those same concerns itself.
If Theresa May goes to the EU now and tries to negotiate along the lines she has apparently been given then no-deal is bordering on guaranteed at this point.

EU negotiators are well aware of the threats (unlike their UK equivalents seemingly), they'll also be aware of what they are going to need out of any deal and pandering to the schizophrenic ramblings of a country who can't tell their arse from their face isn't going to be in their interest.

The press in this country has constantly focused on what Brexit deal can be sold to the UK public / engineered past the HoC, they seem to have totally ignored the fact that the EU also has those same concerns itself.

We'll see. I guess we'll pick this convo up in a couple months' time.
Fire! Aim! Ready!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending