The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York St. John Accomodation

Hi,

Can any current/former YSJ students give me some advice on which accommodation is (in your opinion) the best for the price and why??

Also, any applicants for 2019/20, which are you thinking of going for?? I’m stuck on which to choose!

(I know we have a month or so until applications open but I’m trying to do things early for a change, lol)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by echomeg
Hi,

Can any current/former YSJ students give me some advice on which accommodation is (in your opinion) the best for the price and why??

Also, any applicants for 2019/20, which are you thinking of going for?? I’m stuck on which to choose!

(I know we have a month or so until applications open but I’m trying to do things early for a change, lol)

Moved to York St John University
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Hi!
I'm in the same boat. I'll be going as a mature student so hoping I can find out where other people are applying to.
I'm thinking of city residence or lord mayor's walk if possible.
Hi! I’m applying this year and I’m looking into St John Central and Percy’s Lane (both ensuite). The only thing I’m concerned about is the construction site at St John Central and the surrounding area of Percy’s Lane as I haven’t had time to visit it yet!
Original post by marvelgurl99
I was at St John last year! Percys Lane is very far from campus, its about a 45 minute walk. The construction site at SJC is annoying, but you can't hear it from inside the hall, it's not a big problem! I loved SJC so much. Percy’s is okay, but it's one hell of a trek!

Thanks so much, that’s really helpful! 😊
Original post by student1820
Thanks so much, that’s really helpful! 😊

You're very welcome!

If I had to rank the YSJ halls;
1) St John Central, its really great, it's not on campus as advertised, it's in Central York, but it's not that far and the rooms are beautiful.

2) Percy’s Lane. Very far from campus, but it's still nice.
3) City Residence. One of the closest to campus, but it's quite dated, and near a main road, so it's noisy. Old building, it's cold.
4) Lord Mayor's Walk. On campus, but the rooms are tiny, you can hear the SU bar and minster 24/7, so it's noisy. No full kitchen.
5) The Grange. The Grange is on campus, like a 5 minute walk, but it's freezing! The rooms are also really shabby, but it's the cheapest hall.
6) Limes Court. Very forgettable. House/Village style living, but it's so far from campus!

Hope this helps! Xxx
You're very welcome!

1) St John Central, its really great, it's not on campus as advertised, it's in Central York, but it's not that far and the rooms are beautiful.

3) City Residence. One of the closest to campus, but it's quite dated, and near a main road, so it's noisy. Old building, it's cold.
4) Lord Mayor's Walk. On campus, but the rooms are tiny, you can hear the SU bar and minster 24/7, so it's noisy. No full kitchen.
5) The Grange. The Grange is on campus, like a 5 minute walk, but it's freezing! The rooms are also really shabby, but it's the cheapest hall.
6) Limes Court. Very forgettable. House/Village style living, but it's so far from campus!

Hope this helps! Xxx

Do you know what St Mary’s is like to the rest of the Grange? (and if you happen to know what the communal area is like in Grange that is SM)
Original post by georgiamayb
Do you know what St Mary’s is like to the rest of the Grange? (and if you happen to know what the communal area is like in Grange that is SM)

I lived in Mary's!

It's a LOT nicer than the Grange. The Grange is built like tiny houses, but Mary's is a huge converted building. It's a lot more modern, with ncie, shiny walls, new carpets, furniture, etc. Communal is huge.

But, it gets very cold. And noisy.

The Grange has a communal in some of the flats, but not all. Some of them (like Welch house) don't have a communal at all. The ones that do, it's just like a table in the kitchen.

I'd definitely go for St Mary's out of the two. It's next door to the Grange, and five minutes from shops, it's not the worst!
I lived in Mary's!

It's a LOT nicer than the Grange. The Grange is built like tiny houses, but Mary's is a huge converted building. It's a lot more modern, with ncie, shiny walls, new carpets, furniture, etc. Communal is huge.

The Grange has a communal in some of the flats, but not all. Some of them (like Welch house) don't have a communal at all. The ones that do, it's just like a table in the kitchen.

I'd definitely go for St Mary's out of the two. It's next door to the Grange, and five minutes from shops, it's not the worst!

IMG_20190128_233018.png
IMG_20190128_233029.png
IMG_20190128_233037.png
IMG_20190128_233204.pngthe first three are St Mary's the fourth one is the Grange! You can see the quality difference.
Reply 9
I was at St John last year! Percys Lane is very far from campus, its about a 45 minute walk. The construction site at SJC is annoying, but you can't hear it from inside the hall, it's not a big problem! I loved SJC so much. Percy’s is okay, but it's one hell of a trek!

Percys lane is nowhere near a 45 minute walk away from campus, more like 15 minutes.
Depends the way you go, if you're not absolutely blazing it is used to take us about half an hour. 15 if we were sprinting for it. :smile:
You're very welcome!

Hope this helps! Xxx

Ahh thank you so much! I’m aware that we have to put a shared bathroom down for accommodation and was wondering if you knew what the area around Limes Court is like? Some people get their last accommodation option so I just wanted to make sure! 😊
Original post by echomeg
Hi,

Hi! Which accommodation options were you thinking of choosing? 😊
Reply 13
Hi! Which accommodation options were you thinking of choosing? 😊

my top three are currently the grange (st mary’s), city residence and limes court, mostly because i don’t think i can afford the ‘nicer’ ones!! i had a look at all the accommodation on saturday at the decision day and i’ve finally somewhat made up my mind, but obviously student views will be different than the ones on the open days because they’ll be trying to sell them as amazing, if that makes sense?
Original post by echomeg
my top three are currently the grange (st mary’s), city residence and limes court, mostly because i don’t think i can afford the ‘nicer’ ones!! i had a look at all the accommodation on saturday at the decision day and i’ve finally somewhat made up my mind, but obviously student views will be different than the ones on the open days because they’ll be trying to sell them as amazing, if that makes sense?

Yeah that makes sense! I think the grange sounds nice too. 😊 I visited city residence on saturday (which is near the grange) and they’re both in a nice area.
Yeah that makes sense! I think the grange sounds nice too. 😊 I visited city residence on saturday (which is near the grange) and they’re both in a nice area.

Original post by echomeg

I'd definitely recommend city res out of those :smile: and if you go for grange, definitely try to get St Mary's! We loved it.
I lived in Mary's!

Is it weird that I’m happy it’s cold? I can’t deal with heat at all 😂 Also loving the Willy S poster 😂
Original post by echomeg
Hi,

I think Percy's Lane is a lovely accomodation (this is where I am staying right now) and it is got a good price (especially if you are interested in studios) and has very similar features, being en-suite, to York St John. I have also found Percy's to be quieter than York St John.

However if you aren't interested in en-suite, I have heard that Limes Court is okay.

I would recommend an applicant day to see the accomodation if you haven't already.

Best of luck
Hello!
I'm hoping to attend York St John this September and my current top three are:
St John Central
City Residence
Percy's Lane

Can anybody tell me if a large room rather than a standard room is actually worth the extra price?
I don't want a tiny room because I like having space and wouldn't mind paying more, but is it that much of a difference?

Thank you!!! ^_^
Original post by Emmy18uk
Hello!
I'm hoping to attend York St John this September and my current top three are:
St John Central
City Residence
Percy's Lane

Can anybody tell me if a large room rather than a standard room is actually worth the extra price?
I don't want a tiny room because I like having space and wouldn't mind paying more, but is it that much of a difference?

Thank you!!! ^_^

I would say a larger room is definitely worth the extra price (compared to the standard rooms in St John Central) but at least last year larger rooms were allocated mainly to students with additional needs so you may not get one even if you put down the extra price. That said, I believe you have more of a chance securing a larger room in Percy's (but I am not at all certain that this is the case, it is just a theory).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending