The Student Room Group

Brexit - your perspective over the years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColinDent
There is of course no evidence for any of what you say

Then leave it. I am not a British, I don't care. And even the British, so the English, Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are not agreed each other in terms of Brexit. So how Britain would convince the EU, if Britain is not even able to convince the citizen?
Original post by Kallisto
Then leave it. I am not a British, I don't care. And even the British, so the English, Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are not agreed each other in terms of Brexit. So how Britain would convince the EU, if Britain is not even able to convince the citizen?

It's the politicians that need convincing as it's the majority of those that are causing the issues.
Ah you're confusing evidence with opinion.

Not at all. When the vote was announced the pound fell in value. Each and every time there is a lurch into uncertainty, the pound drops. You might say I am noting a trend and that trends can always be bucked but I can't see how the pound will increase in strength if the cost of business is increased as Brexit under any form will do.
It's the politicians that need convincing as it's the majority of those that are causing the issues.

No people in Britain who are against leaving? 100% agreement in this controversial concern? hard to believe, all the more when I realize that TSR members here at this place and another threads to Brexit share my attitude to remain.
Original post by Kallisto
No people in Britain who are against leaving? 100% agreement in this controversial concern? hard to believe, all the more when I realize that TSR members here at this place and another threads to Brexit share my attitude to remain.

There are not as many whom are passionatly against leaving as you may think. The vast majority of the country just want our politicians to get on with it, the vast majority of the country respect the vote.

Out of those whom are passionate of staying, many fall into the same category as those whom are passionatly in favour of leaving - extreme
Original post by Burton Bridge
There are not as many whom are passionatly against leaving as you may think. The vast majority of the country just want our politicians to get on with it, the vast majority of the country respect the vote.

Out of those whom are passionate of staying, many fall into the same category as those whom are passionatly in favour of leaving - extreme

Exactly, don't judge the British people's opinions on this forum, it's very skewed towards remain.
The truth is that most of the public just want it done and dusted so we can all move forward.
Original post by ByEeek
Not at all. When the vote was announced the pound fell in value. Each and every time there is a lurch into uncertainty, the pound drops. You might say I am noting a trend and that trends can always be bucked but I can't see how the pound will increase in strength if the cost of business is increased as Brexit under any form will do.

Yes you could say that the pound dropped in value the day after the original referendum result but that was partly down to the cities arrogant gamble against the result, the pound at that moment in time was artificially high after all.
Any other fluctuations since can be attributed to a whole variety of outside factors, like trump's win or the suseqsubse trade war between the US and China and are not solely down to any particular brexit issue.
the pound at that moment in time was artificially high after all.

Really? I have fond memories of the days when a pound bought you $2 or €1.60. Now it is on a parity and post Brexit will be worth even less.
Politicians opposing leave fall into 1 of 3 categories: representing the opinions of their constituents who voted remain; have found serious legislative issues with what's put forward; are being naughty/doing it for fun. I doubt there's many in the last category.
Original post by Burton Bridge

And this analysis is conducted from what actual evidence?
Original post by 04MR17
Politicians opposing leave fall into 1 of 3 categories: representing the opinions of their constituents who voted remain; have found serious legislative issues with what's put forward; are being naughty/doing it for fun. I doubt there's many in the last category.

Of course they do, they're not even trying to hide their contempt of the decision to leave anymore.
The aim of the majority of parliament since the referendum has been to frustrate the vote.
Of course they do, they're not even trying to hide their contempt of the decision to leave anymore.
The aim of the majority of parliament since the referendum has been to frustrate the vote.
And what does parliament achieve my aiming for this empty goal? Absolutely nothing. It is the duty of Parliament to represent their constituents interests. If an MP feels that it is in the interest of their constituents to raise issues with the legislation that might negatively affect them then why shouldn't they? If an MP represents a strongly remain constituency why should they vote for something their constituents categorically don't want even if the rest of the country does?
Original post by 04MR17
And what does parliament achieve my aiming for this empty goal? Absolutely nothing. It is the duty of Parliament to represent their constituents interests. If an MP feels that it is in the interest of their constituents to raise issues with the legislation that might negatively affect them then why shouldn't they? If an MP represents a strongly remain constituency why should they vote for something their constituents categorically don't want even if the rest of the country does?

Because it was voted for in a national referendum perhaps?
Original post by 04MR17

Absolutely, so why is there so many voting against the will of their constituents?
Reply 53
Original post by ByEeek
Really? I have fond memories of the days when a pound bought you $2 or €1.60. Now it is on a parity and post Brexit will be worth even less.

It is nearer $1.31 not parity.
Original post by StrawberryDreams

Brexit

Everyone is talking about it, but how does the TSR community actually feel about it since this all started back in 2016?

Over the past three years we have asked for your opinions on Brexit and whether you would choose to remain in or leave the EU.

We've put a poll out each year asking you how you would vote, both before and after the referendum. We then collated your votes from these poll to see if there had been a change in opinion the further we get toward the March 29th deadline. We've seen that over these three years, there has been a shift towards more people wanting to remain in the EU.

Brexit Three Year Comparison resized.jpg

What do you think about these results? Is it something you expected, or did you expect more of a change in opinion?

Let us know your thoughts below!

I don’t think it’s surprising considering most young people voted to stay by most analysis.
As for me, my perspective remains the same since before the referendum, that the European Union is an undemocratic organisation that takes power away from our elected politicians and gives it to some people who we don’t even know sitting in Europe. So I say good riddance to it.
Original post by 04MR17

Original post by DJKL
It is nearer $1.31 not parity.

My bad. I had in mind that period around the referendum where the pound dropped by 30c over the course of a month. Doesn't look like it has recovered much since. The only way is down I fear. So that means that the price of oil is going to go up post Brexit and that in turn means everything will go up as it all depends on oil. I hope you have plenty of foreign currency in your savings account.
Reply 57
Original post by ByEeek
My bad. I had in mind that period around the referendum where the pound dropped by 30c over the course of a month. Doesn't look like it has recovered much since. The only way is down I fear. So that means that the price of oil is going to go up post Brexit and that in turn means everything will go up as it all depends on oil. I hope you have plenty of foreign currency in your savings account.

I bought a house abroad instead.
Original post by DJKL
I bought a house abroad instead.

Rofl
Reply 59
Original post by Abaddon rex
Rofl

Catch is its true and given possible issues with health cover doubt we will be able to use it as intended (long stays) post Brexit, but at least meantime it is a useful hedge against sterling, suspect it is going to be sold depending on how things go.

Quick Reply