The Student Room Group

How often do you check your breasts? Find out how to here!

Something which is very important but not often talked about! This isn't just for women but for men too!

How often do you do a full check of your breast (and armpit!) for any lumps or changes?

The NHS says:

The NHS Breast Screening Programme has produced a 5-point plan for being breast aware:

- know what's normal for you
- look at your breasts and feel them
- now what changes to look for
- report any changes without delay
- attend routine screening if you're 50 or over

Look at your breasts and feel each breast and armpit, and up to your collarbone. You may find it easiest to do this in the shower or bath, by running a soapy hand over each breast and up under each armpit.
You can also look at your breasts in the mirror. Look with your arms by your side and also with them raised.

See your GP if you notice any of the following changes:

a change in the size, outline or shape of your breast

a change in the look or feel of your skin, such as puckering or dimpling

a new lump, thickening or bumpy area in one breast or armpit that is different from the same area on the other side

nipple discharge that's not milky

bleeding from your nipple

a moist, red area on your nipple that doesn't heal easily

any change in nipple position, such as your nipple being pulled in or pointing differently

a rash on or around your nipple

any discomfort or pain in one breast, particularly if it's a new pain and doesn't go away (although pain is only a symptom of breast cancer in rare cases)

So when did you last check?

Scroll to see replies

@shadowdweller @chelseadagg3r

Just tagging in some lovelies to see what they think :biggrin:
I try to check mine at least monthly! Very useful guidelines for it :smile:
Original post by shadowdweller
I try to check mine at least monthly! Very useful guidelines for it :smile:

I think that’s the best frequency. A doctor told me you can ‘over check’ making them more tender and actually you notice less changes if you check too often. However everything few weeks/monthly is really good :smile:
Monthly! I get a monthly text reminder from Coppafeel which is really handy. For people based in the UK, if you text UBT NTU to 70300 Coppafeel send you a sweet little reminder via text each month, usually in the form of a joke or poem

I volunteer for Coppafeel and it's such an important cause. You can get breast cancer even if you're young, and even if you're male. They have loads of great materials to help you learn to check yourself and what to look out for on their website as well
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Monthly! I get a monthly text reminder from Coppafeel which is really handy. For people based in the UK, if you text UBT NTU to 70300 Coppafeel send you a sweet little reminder via text each month, usually in the form of a joke or poem

I volunteer for Coppafeel and it's such an important cause. You can get breast cancer even if you're young, and even if you're male. They have loads of great materials to help you learn to check yourself and what to look out for on their website as well

PRSOM!

This is awesome. I’m going to text them - is it free? :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
PRSOM!

This is awesome. I’m going to text them - is it free? :smile:

Standard network rate for your initial text to them, though for me this was just one text out of my contracted ones so didn't cost anything, and every text they send you is free :smile:
Standard network rate for your initial text to them, though for me this was just one text out of my contracted ones so didn't cost anything, and every text they send you is free :smile:

Fab! I wouldn’t mind if they were all out of my contract, I hardly use texts now, more WhatsApp etc. I’ve just text them so I get reminders, I don’t know why I’m so excited about this but it’s so cool :biggrin: :woo:
i dont :redface:
Original post by CoolCavy
i dont :redface:

Maybe something to start doing? Doesn't have to be that often to start with, just a good thing to get in the habit of :smile:
What prevents people from checking? Remembering? Knowing how to? Worrying what then could find?

Coppafeel is great. I admire her so much. I follow her on Instagram :heart:
I'll be honest and say that I had to go to the doctors in January for a breast-check. I felt a large lump and and it felt really uncomfortable and pretty scary.

The check up was really quick and the Dr was supportive. She said she felt it was glandular and to keep an eye on it.

I'm glad I went. I've known women who have died of breast cancer in their 30s and it's made me much more aware.

I hope this helps - if you feel like something is wrong, please do go and get it checked out.
thx for the reminder I always forget :redface:
I check whenever I think of it.

I found a lump in each breast about 6 years ago ish, one of them was so big I was amazed how I hadn't noticed it before. I went to the gp (had to wait a couple of weeks) then within 2 weeks had a referal to a breast clinic. At the clinic, they found 3 lumps, which they examined with ultrasound and subsequently biopsied. I had a stressful few weeks waiting for results, but luckily it was all fine, just naturally occuring lumps - breasts are lumpy organs! I was horrendously bruised after the biopsies though and my breasts were quite painful for a few months.

Last year I found another lump in one of my breasts and repeated the experience. This time I didn't feel so worried about telling people about it, so I had less built up anxiety and overall it didn't feel as bad. Also this time round, as soon as I got home from the biopsy I sat with some frozen peas on my boob for the rest of the day (on and off), as I was really careful not to use my arm on that side of my body too much for a few days. This massively reduced the bruising and I was completely recovered within a week (top tips for anyone who has a biopsy!). I tried not to think about it, but I was a bit worried because the radiologist said the new lump looked a bit different to the old lumps (which are still there) on the ultrasound. However 2 weeks later I went in to get my results and everything was fine - I just have particularly naturally lumpy breasts.

Moral of the story: do check, but if you find something don't worry, just get it checked out when you can. And if you have a biopsy do what you can to reduce bruising!
Original post by She-Ra
Coppafeel is great. I admire her so much. I follow her on Instagram :heart:

Yeah, Kris is incredible. I definitely recommend her short documentary, Kris: Dying to Live, if you haven't watched it already :heart:
Honestly... every day
Yes a women's movement I can finally get behind. Coppafeel is a m a z i n g. Breaking down those walls of stigma :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
What prevents people from checking? Remembering? Knowing how to? Worrying what then could find?

Few things frustrate me more than people not checking their health, or not going to the doctors about something because they’re worried it could be something scary - the sooner you check or the sooner you go, the less bad it will be!
Every day in the shower.

Quick Reply

Latest