The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profesh
Anyone who didn't answer "All of the above" is in for a rude awakening twenty-odd years from now.

If all the jobs would be replaced by robots/AI, what do we humans do? :rolleyes:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Lancaster University Guest Lecturer
I agree with you, however, some people also argue that robots can only replace tasks, but not jobs, no humans. For examples, the ATMs are everywhere, but the banks are still hiring people to provide quality service for their customers, in order to grab more market share from their competitors.

It is also claimed that some jobs, such as receptionists and telemarketers, will disappear as technology evolves. We might not be able to stop the evolotion of robots and AI, but we are able to prepare and choose our future career path.

I'm not sure about that, look at the number of bank branch closures recently - everything can be done over the internet now so there's no need for staff or a physical prescence.
Reply 22
If all the jobs would be replaced by robots/AI, what do we humans do? :rolleyes:

Go to Nice and put our trotters up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

How jolly lovely......

I like working though :wink:

Stimulating work is healthy, it's good to keep active and connecting with people regularly is super important.

I'm not saying that wouldn't happen in Nice, but given that humans are these days moving less and making unhealthy decisions I'd worry that not having a routine would make it much worse.
Original post by She-Ra
How jolly lovely......

I like working though :wink:

Stimulating work is healthy, it's good to keep active and connecting with people regularly is super important.

I'm not saying that wouldn't happen in Nice, but given that humans are these days moving less and making unhealthy decisions I'd worry that not having a routine would make it much worse.

But I mean, there wouldn't be any limitation on who can be an artist, scientist, philosopher, etc etc because we'd be in post scarcity. idk maybe "work" in our modern sense will disappear but other things will take over.
Original post by itsismael
But I mean, there wouldn't be any limitation on who can be an artist, scientist, philosopher, etc etc because we'd be in post scarcity. idk maybe "work" in our modern sense will disappear but other things will take over.

I agree, we've always evolved.... there would be a new phase of work culture that would develop and if robots were doing the majority of manual roles then that would ultimately save money and maybe that money could be reinvested in roles and services that really do require humans.
Original post by itsismael

So how will the future of work be like?
Original post by She-Ra
I agree, we've always evolved.... there would be a new phase of work culture that would develop and if robots were doing the majority of manual roles then that would ultimately save money and maybe that money could be reinvested in roles and services that really do require humans.

Will no one want to do any manual job? does this mean that we will see an era where manual jobs are deemed less worthy? Or will the meaning of manual jobs change?
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm not sure about that, look at the number of bank branch closures recently - everything can be done over the internet now so there's no need for staff or a physical prescence.

Is there not? maybe for younger generations but will older people need that 'human touch'?

Do you think there will be any cultural difference across countries, especially in realtion to how people prefer transacting? there is research that show that some cultures still prefer to do face-to-face deals in business
Is there not? maybe for younger generations but will older people need that 'human touch'?

Do you think there will be any cultural difference across countries, especially in realtion to how people prefer transacting? there is research that show that some cultures still prefer to do face-to-face deals in business

Some people might like to speak to a human, but most of us prefer lower costs. It's the same with travel agents, ticket offices, airports, Argos - all these things can be done more efficiently with automation and computers, and private businesses can't afford to pay staff to stand around all day just because someone might occasionally want to ask a question.

Automation might come around more gradually in other countries, but it will likely affect everywhere, after all every business wants to save/make more money.
Speaking of that poll, I wonder how a fully automated court room would play out? Would sentencing change when you remove human bias? Would we have to attach lie detector equipment to every witness to pick up on non verbal cues in the abscence of a judge?

Probably wouldn't happen in my life time, but would be awesome to see the justice system become more fair in an objective sense!
Original post by Another
Speaking of that poll, I wonder how a fully automated court room would play out? Would sentencing change when you remove human bias? Would we have to attach lie detector equipment to every witness to pick up on non verbal cues in the abscence of a judge?

Probably wouldn't happen in my life time, but would be awesome to see the justice system become more fair in an objective sense!

I agree, there is research showing that sentencing procedures, as well as hiring or promotion decisions, are affected by unconscious bias.

But can we eliminate bias from algorithms? There is an interesting book on algorithmic oppression by Noble that shows exactly how humans inscribe bias in technologies
We are at the early development stage of artificial intelligence, or you can say we are entering in 'the fourth industrial revolution' - cyber-physical systems. Most robots we have seen so far are programmed to follow instructions and complete tasks, and scientists have also been developing programmes, such as AlphaGo, to learn, to think, to reflect by themselves - how can we human compete with those self-taught machines/robots?
(edited 5 years ago)

'I will come back and do better next time' - said the garbage truck :colondollar:

'I will come back and do better next time' - said the garbage truck :colondollar:

See clips like that are the main reason I think automated cars are still a fantasy, they don't have the same ability to interpret cockups, you'd never want a machine like that near the public.

On the other hand, if there was ever a role that needed automated its bin lorries, one of the most needlessly dangerous jobs there is and terribly paid :/

Original post by StriderHort
See clips like that are the main reason I think automated cars are still a fantasy, they don't have the same ability to interpret cockups, you'd never want a machine like that near the public.

On the other hand, if there was ever a role that needed automated its bin lorries, one of the most needlessly dangerous jobs there is and terribly paid :/

To be pedantic, it's just as easy to find a successful example - I saw it happening in Spain over 10 years ago, so if anything the technology should be even better now, e.g:

It's defnintely something that should be automated if possible, let machines deal with waste instead of having men picking up heavy and dirty bins.
Original post by jameswhughes
To be pedantic, it's just as easy to find a successful example - I saw it happening in Spain over 10 years ago, so if anything the technology should be even better now, e.g:

It's defnintely something that should be automated if possible, let machines deal with waste instead of having men picking up heavy and dirty bins.

That just makes it 50/50 though :P That one does seem better designed, so the UK would obv go for the crap one. Trouble even with that system is it needs all the bins to be identical and 'just so' and that just doesn't match the world i know.

The actual bins aren't the most dangerous bit btw (just moderately) the biggest cause of accidents is staff being hit by vehicles because they can barely hear or see anything and their role is essentially loading a heavy vehicle in the middle of the road, all day. :/
No because I'm already a robot
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite right!

Go to Nice and put our trotters up
Reply 38

You identified my source! :wink:
And Cameron was replaced by Maybot so I guess the process is well underway :biggrin:
This week's poll is multiple choice :smile:

Amazon’s employees in the US have been demanding better work environment, and recently they have also started to push for unionisation.

In the UK, ambulances were called 600 times to the company sites between 2015 and 2018 due to unsafe working conditions despite healthy and safety regulations.

Amazon employees in the US feel they have been treated like robots. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, two giant online retailing platforms - Alibaba and Jingdong, have been using robots to pick up and deliver items.

It is claimed that the self-charging and wifi-equipped robots have saved 70% of manpower in Alibaba’s smart warehouse.

Some benefits of robots and automation:

Cheaper to employ

Not requiring safe and ethical workplace conditions

Streamlined processes, which quicken production

Simpler to manage (potentially eliminating the role of trade unions)

Some drawbacks:

Make humans obsolete (see self-service checkouts)

Reduce human interactions, which is vital for our health

Might bring on the short term high levels of unemployment

Can potentially take over a variety of jobs (e.g. news reporters, drivers, cashiers, etc.)

What does this mean for future employment? Are you worried about getting a job in the future?

Do you have a specific job in mind that you think might be directly affected by the use of robots or artificial intelligence?

Which roles do you think are most at risk of automation?
________________________________ ________________________________ _____________

Dr Yu Fu is a Senior Teaching Associate at Lancaster University, and she is the Programme Director for the Management & Human Resource, the Management & Organisational Behaviour, and the Management & Sociology. Her research interest lies in international HRM, particularly national cultural factors in employment. The main focus of her research is to investigate the impact of Chinese cultural values on the Western Transnational Corporations’ HR policies and practices in their Chinese subsidiaries.

Dr Lara Pecis is a Lecturer in Organisation Studies at the Department of Organisation, Work and Technology at Lancaster University Management School. She is also programme director for the Management and IT degree. Her teaching and research include the role of technologies in shaping organisations and their impact on people. She is also interested in questions of inclusion and diversity in management.

"eh I've been treated like a robot all my life so I'd love to have a robot take over my job and retire"

Latest

Trending

Trending