The Student Room Group

Do I need to know GCSE physics for A-level physics?

Hi, I am in a peculiar situation where I am planning on studying A-level physics, but not GCSE physics. I am going to also be studying A-level mathematics and further mathematics, however, I am not sure whether I will need to know A-level physics in order to be able to study A-level physics?

What are your experiences in this scenario?

Will it be much harder for me to study not having GCSE knowledge?

I’ll have the sufficient mathematical knowledge for A-level physics, but not any of the factual or experience knowledge of GCSE physics.

Thanks.
Hi Topology.

Did you do GCSE Combined Science (Double Award) or GCSE Biology and/or Chemistry, but without Physics?

If you don't have any Physics beyond Key Stage 3, you will have an awful lot of catch-up to do over the summer holidays. It's certainly not impossible, but your A-level teachers may very well assume that you have subject knowledge that simply isn't there.

If you are absolutely determined to do it, then sure, but it'll be a lot of work if you do.
Original post by 学生の父
Hi Topology.

Did you do GCSE Combined Science (Double Award) or GCSE Biology and/or Chemistry, but without Physics?

If you don't have any Physics beyond Key Stage 3, you will have an awful lot of catch-up to do over the summer holidays. It's certainly not impossible, but your A-level teachers may very well assume that you have subject knowledge that simply isn't there.

If you are absolutely determined to do it, then sure, but it'll be a lot of work if you do.

I am self teaching. I haven’t done gcse science other than mathematics and further mathematics before.

so I am not time constrained.

however, do you think I will have to learn gcse physics to be able to do and understand a-level physics? Or can I learn a-level physics without gcse physics?
Original post by TopologyFreak
I am self teaching. I haven’t done gcse science other than mathematics and further mathematics before.

so I am not time constrained.

however, do you think I will have to learn gcse physics to be able to do and understand a-level physics? Or can I learn a-level physics without gcse physics?

The A-level Physics specifications, "build on the skills, knowledge and understanding set out in the GCSE criteria/content for Science." So although you need not have passed the subject, you will need to have acquired the mindset necessary to achieve at this level.

Yes, you can learn A-level without GCSE. If you are self teaching, will you have access to a physics lab? How will you prepare for the practical exams?
Original post by 学生の父
The A-level Physics specifications, "build on the skills, knowledge and understanding set out in the GCSE criteria/content for Science." So although you need not have passed the subject, you will need to have acquired the mindset necessary to achieve at this level.

Yes, you can learn A-level without GCSE. If you are self teaching, will you have access to a physics lab? How will you prepare for the practical exams?

I won’t be actually sitting the exam. It is too convoluted in where to sit, practicals, cost, where to practice for practicals etc. I am just looking to gain the necessary A-level physics knowledge for when I start my mathematics degree as I want to be well informed and knowledgeable.

Do you think that this textbook would cover GCSE knowledge? If you looked at the contents would you be able to see if that covers necessary physics knowledge for GCSE?

This is the book’s contents: https://imgur.com/a/pD2O1ec

This is the book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conceptual-Physics-12th-Paul-Hewitt/dp/0321909100/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I am hoping to use that textbook for the necessary GCSE knowledge, then gain the A-level knowledge with an A-level physics textbook once I have completed the conceptual physics textbook.
Reply 5
Maybe a bit late, but hope this helps :smile:

I’m a current Year 12 student doing Physics, Maths and Chemistry A Level.

While certainly doable without GCSE physics, I would definitely rather be someone who had studied physics at GCSE than someone who hasn’t.

You seem like you’re good at maths having done further maths, so I think you’ll be fine for the mechanics and further mechanics section of physics, to a lesser extent for materials and waves.

But physics A Level is a lot more theory intensive than GCSE, and you may be expected to know concepts that you haven’t even heard of as well. Even myself, I consider myself a pretty good student especially towards math and science, and me and my mates struggled pretty hard during the first few months of a level. We were pretty much failing every test and/or getting Us up until January. We’re getting As and Bs now, but that’s only a lot or hard work and study, in addition to the prior knowledge, which, to put it bluntly, you don’t have.

But I think you’re a hard working individual so my best advice to you would just be to do as much work over the summer as you can. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest