The Student Room Group

UNIQ summer school 2019

Scroll to see replies

Applied for medicine and computer science
Original post by Unknown45678abc
Hey so I was thinking of applying to the oxford UNIQ summer school this year for law and just wanted to know if anyone had applied before?
If so what grades did you apply with and what sort of things did you include in your personal statement?
Many thanks in advance

I applied for Econ and Management as well as Maths and Stats. I'm not very hopeful since I don't meet any of the additional criteria (outside of the grade requirements), but we'll see. I talked about the research I had done on behavioural economics for the NCH Essay Competition, Maths and Stats was my second choice but I honestly had very little of value to say, maybe my GCSEs will be enough.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by eclipseboi
I applied for Econ and Management as well as Maths and Stats. I'm not very hopeful since I don't meet any of the additional criteria (outside of the grade requirements), but we'll see. I talked about the research I had done on behavioural economics for the NCH Essay Competition, Maths and Stats was my second choice but I honestly had very little of value to say, maybe my GCSEs will be enough.

Yeah same I don’t meet any of the other requirements apart from the grade ones so I’m not really hopeful either
Yeah if you have good enough gcse grades and it seems like you have quite a bit of extra curricular it seems hopefully you’ll be okay
But good luck anyway :smile:
Yeah same I don’t meet any of the other requirements apart from the grade ones so I’m not really hopeful either
Yeah if you have good enough gcse grades and it seems like you have quite a bit of extra curricular it seems hopefully you’ll be okay

Thanks, you too!

And tbh in my personal statement I really did not have a clue about what I was saying as I felt like I rushed it quite a lot so don’t really have high hopes but still who knows
Does anyone know when they’re gonna start giving out the rejections/acceptances?

did you have to talk about xtracuriculars? :eek:
Btw when do they tel you whether you've been accepted or not?
Reply 47
Original post by Kangaroo17

I didn't have space 😂
Original post by Crow_M
I didn't have space 😂

Same! i had to delete stuff, broke me heart
Even then we dont need.. .to mention... work experience ... did we.,..???????F|WQ?ER?QR?ER
Reply 49
Same! i had to delete stuff, broke me heart
Even then we dont need.. .to mention... work experience ... did we.,..???????F|WQ?ER?QR?ER

I know some people who got into UNIQ, their personal statement mentioned some form of work experience OR showed their passion for the subject.

Mine had reading a medical book, why I chose to pursue medicine and why I would be successful in medicine. I don't have work experience yet so there'd be no point.

What courses did you apply to btw? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Crow_M
I know some people who got into UNIQ, their personal statement mentioned some form of work experience OR showed their passion for the subject.

Mine had reading a medical book, why I chose to pursue medicine and why I would be successful in medicine. I don't have work experience yet so there'd be no point.

What courses did you apply to btw? :smile:

Oh, i just stated some facts lmao. Like wider reading, about how the number e is important in math, and my passion for physics... Im jealous you've got your career organised, while im still thinking about what to do! :biggrin:

And ive chosen math and physics. Medicine was on my mind, but i havent made my mind up. ;(
Reply 51
Oh, i just stated some facts lmao. Like wider reading, about how the number e is important in math, and my passion for physics... Im jealous you've got your career organised, while im still thinking about what to do! :biggrin:

And ive chosen math and physics. Medicine was on my mind, but i havent made my mind up. ;(

For Maths it's better to show further reading and show that your interest, e.g. UKMT Maths Challenge. For Physics is talking about an area that you found cool, my friend talked about CERN :smile:

I thought about this for quite some time so that I could just get on with it, it's pretty good ^^.

Why was medicine on your mind? Any specific reason?

Lol I didn’t have any space and I had to also delete a lot of stuff so im really unsure if what I have written is going to be enough. I mentioned my passion for the subject but didn’t have time to mention any work experience or taster days I’d been on sadly
Original post by Crow_M
For Maths it's better to show further reading and show that your interest, e.g. UKMT Maths Challenge. For Physics is talking about an area that you found cool, my friend talked about CERN :smile:

I thought about this for quite some time so that I could just get on with it, it's pretty good ^^.

Why was medicine on your mind? Any specific reason?

I guess it should be 'is'... but i know that work experience is gonna take a lot. Its on my mind as in it's a career that seems interesting and one i don't mind doing. My brother is going into it as well, and is convieniently in Year 13 (free notes!), but i do FM intead of biology (math, fm, chem, phys), so i guess im a bit biased towards it.

How much work experience do you need? Im gonna look for a job soon, but medically-related, would the hospital shadowing be fine?
Lol I didn’t have any space and I had to also delete a lot of stuff so im really unsure if what I have written is going to be enough. I mentioned my passion for the subject but didn’t have time to mention any work experience or taster days I’d been on sadly

yeah same.. but apparently the criteria and grades are more important? Hopefully
yeah same.. but apparently the criteria and grades are more important? Hopefully

Yeah but I don’t really meet most of the criteria except for the grades so like I’m not really hopeful
Reply 56
I guess it should be 'is'... but i know that work experience is gonna take a lot. Its on my mind as in it's a career that seems interesting and one i don't mind doing. My brother is going into it as well, and is convieniently in Year 13 (free notes!), but i do FM intead of biology (math, fm, chem, phys), so i guess im a bit biased towards it.

How much work experience do you need? Im gonna look for a job soon, but medically-related, would the hospital shadowing be fine?

Btw taken into consideration that it might be a bit tricky to gain entry in some schools without bio (it may not be required but most applicants have it).

As much as you can, hospital shadowing is fine but try to do volunteering too!
Reply 57
Yeah but I don’t really meet most of the criteria except for the grades so like I’m not really hopeful

I meet quite a bit of the criteria except the grades (I had extenuating circumstances though), so don't worry you're not alone :rofl:
Original post by Crow_M
Btw taken into consideration that it might be a bit tricky to gain entry in some schools without bio (it may not be required but most applicants have it).

As much as you can, hospital shadowing is fine but try to do volunteering too!

Oh yes volunteering! Forgot about that!
How longs best? I know it's not quantity based, but longer the better right?
Reply 59
Oh yes volunteering! Forgot about that!
How longs best? I know it's not quantity based, but longer the better right?

Quality over quantity.

I'm trying to do 3 months of volunteering and go to like 3-4 summer schools.

Quick Reply

Latest