The Student Room Group

Can I drive without rear brake pads to drive the car shop to buy new ones ?

As I was entering the road near my house tonight I heard a scraping /metal sound coming from the rear of my car.
Went to check the rear brake pads as I know they were worn low but I only checked a week ago or so and looked to be a little on them.

When I went to check the brake pads I could literally not see them, I think they are worn right to the bottom.

2 questions

1. Is it okay if I drive the car a few miles to a car shop so that I can buy the brakes or could this cause more damage to the car ?
obviously I would drive much more carefully and a lot slower

2. Should I change the brake discs too ? not sure if they need doing or not but the car has 174,500 miles on it and I have driven almost 40 thousand miles in this car so not sure how many miles the discs have on them.

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cleverboy1991
As I was entering the road near my house tonight I heard a scraping /metal sound coming from the rear of my car.
Went to check the rear brake pads as I know they were worn low but I only checked a week ago or so and looked to be a little on them.

When I went to check the brake pads I could literally not see them, I think they are worn right to the bottom.

2 questions

1. Is it okay if I drive the car a few miles to a car shop so that I can buy the brakes or could this cause more damage to the car ?
obviously I would drive much more carefully and a lot slower

2. Should I change the brake discs too ? not sure if they need doing or not but the car has 174,500 miles on it and I have driven almost 40 thousand miles in this car so not sure how many miles the discs have on them.

thanks

The only damage you'll do will be to your discs which are going to need replacing anyway.

It's really not wise to drive in its current condition, but it's not as if you won't have brakes.
Original post by IWMTom
The only damage you'll do will be to your discs which are going to need replacing anyway.

It's really not wise to drive in its current condition, but it's not as if you won't have brakes.

So it won't damage a brake calliper or anything ? I saw a post on the internet that claimed it could damage a calliper if you drive without rear pads
Reply 3
What happens if on your way back, with required parts on seat of car or in boot, you have an accident and hurt someone? Tricky defence arguing you were unaware of brake issue with required parts sitting in the car and possible bank transaction clearly showing you just purchased the parts; you are then possibly straying into criminal negligence etc .

I would get someone else to drive you there and back for peace of mind, you could have really serious issues if there is an accident; it is likely not worth the risk.
Reply 4
So it won't damage a brake calliper or anything ? I saw a post on the internet that claimed it could damage a calliper if you drive without rear pads

No more damage than you've already done by being stupid enough not to get your car serviced properly.
Original post by IWMTom
No more damage than you've already done by being stupid enough not to get your car serviced properly.

I get the oil and oil filter changed on it every 5 -10,000 miles
Reply 6
Your rotors will probably be knackered by now anyway. I wouldn’t drive, just order the pads online and do it yourself. It’s a quick job and you’ll save yourself some cash.
Original post by DJKL
What happens if on your way back, with required parts on seat of car or in boot, you have an accident and hurt someone? Tricky defence arguing you were unaware of brake issue with required parts sitting in the car and possible bank transaction clearly showing you just purchased the parts; you are then possibly straying into criminal negligence etc .

I would get someone else to drive you there and back for peace of mind, you could have really serious issues if there is an accident; it is likely not worth the risk.

Good point, Iwas planning to get the bus there and I think Idefinately will. Also the snow and ice with this cold is not ideal weather to drive without rear brake pads.

is it worth changing the discs too ? thanks

Yeah, what you've described is an oil change.

There's more to a service than that...
Reply 9
Good point, Iwas planning to get the bus there and I think Idefinately will. Also the snow and ice with this cold is not ideal weather to drive without rear brake pads.

is it worth changing the discs too ? thanks

Depends how scored they are I suspect.
Original post by DJKL
Depends how scored they are I suspect.

I don't think they are too bad, can feel some grooves/lines when I rub my finger up and down them . does that mean they need to be changed ?
Reply 11

But you aren't getting it serviced.

Or MOT'd?

What is your annual mileage?
(Original post by Doonesbury)But you aren't getting it serviced.

Or MOT'd?

I drive about 20,000 a year, it is a diesel. do you think I should change the discs on it too ?
Reply 13
(Original post by Doonesbury)But you aren't getting it serviced.

Or MOT'd?

I drive about 20,000 a year, it is a diesel. do you think I should change the discs on it too ?

I think you need to get it professionally serviced. But you'll just ignore my, and everyone else's advice, so whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

There's a reason we get cars serviced - to check vital components to ensure they are in good working order, and to carry out preventative maintenance.

You have neglected your car, and because of that, you are now planning on putting yourself and other road users in danger.

I don't think they are too bad, can feel some grooves/lines when I rub my finger up and down them . does that mean they need to be changed ?

If you've been driving around with metal grinding against your discs.. of course they need replacing..

Why in hell are you doing work on your own car if you don't know a thing about how to look after it? One of these days you're going to cause a serious accident.

Original post by Doonesbury
I think you need to get it professionally serviced. But you'll just ignore my, and everyone else's advice, so whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hear, hear.
Reply 15

Presumably this is your 2007 Vectra that cost you £150?
When was it professionally serviced? When was it MOT'd?
Presumably this is your 2007 Vectra that cost you £150?
When was it professionally serviced? When was it MOT'd?

My 57 plate 1.9 cdti vauxhall vectra and I paid 1000 pounds for it.
It was mot'd in october at halfords and passed first time.
They did advise the rear pads were low
Reply 17
My 57 plate 1.9 cdti vauxhall vectra and I paid 1000 pounds for it.
It was mot'd in october at halfords and passed first time.
They did advise the rear pads were low

So why didn't you get the pads sorted out in October?

I take it it's never been professionally serviced while in your ownership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So why didn't you get the pads sorted out in October?

I take it it's never been professionally serviced while in your ownership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

because they were not bad enough to fail, duh

Define ''professionally serviced '' 🤔
because they were not bad enough to fail, duh

Define ''professionally serviced '' 🤔

You know what an advisory is, right? They shouldn't be ignored (which you have done) and you should action the items as soon as possible. You were told your brakes were very worn (enough for them to give you an advisory) yet you failed to pay a mechanic to perform the remedial action. MOTs are literally the most basic test - akin to asking a 16 year old to recite their times tables...

By ignoring it, you've given yourself a needless headache. You had 3 months to sort this out...

Professional servicing doesn't include just a simple oil and filter change (as you mentioned in previous posts). It means a trained mechanic inspecting and checking components for wear, replacing the consumables where necessary (spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter seeing it's a diesel, fluid top-ups).

Skipping services is a false economy. Professional servicing means small problems can be identified and resolved quickly before they develop into bigger issues. If you don't professionally service your car, you just risk having a higher repair bill in the future.

I suggest you get an MOT and a service at the same time at a trusted garage (so you don't get ripped off) as some offer the two together and give you a small discount. Ask around, see who your friends use.

You do 20k miles a year, that's quite a bit and it really is imperative you have your car serviced regularly.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply