The Student Room Group

Staffordshire or De Montfort- Games Programming

So I've applied for Staffordshire and DMU to study games programming and I'm torn between the two after both fortunately offered me unconditionals, I'm attending an open day to Stafford soon and I've already seen DMU. Any help on this?
Original post by LordOfBacon
So I've applied for Staffordshire and DMU to study games programming and I'm torn between the two after both fortunately offered me unconditionals, I'm attending an open day to Stafford soon and I've already seen DMU. Any help on this?

Hi @LordOfBacon

We're excited to hear that you're considering Staffs and it's great to hear you're coming to our next Open Day. :u:

If you're torn between two universities, I'd advise you to look at the course as a whole. Look at the different modules that are on offer and think about which you'd most enjoy. I know unlike De Montfort, our website doesn't give you a synopsis of the modules - let me know if you'd like this and I'll get in touch with one of the lecturers for you.

On our course, we do offer a placement year which is really popular. This gives you a year of working in the industry which can really make the difference when it comes to graduating. I couldn't see this option mentioned on DMU's site, but it might be worth asking them if this is the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

It's also a good idea to consider facilities and overall reputation. Our course scored 93% on overall student satisfaction on NSS 2018, our course is accedited by Creative Skillset (I think DMU's may be too) and we've also got really cool kit, including our Epic Games Lab. We're also members of TIGA. I'd definitely suggest taking a look at what DMU has and comparing.

Hopefully that all helps and gives you something to consider. Please give me a shout if we can help with anything else or if you have any other questions :smile:

Thanks

Amy
Reply 2
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @LordOfBacon

We're excited to hear that you're considering Staffs and it's great to hear you're coming to our next Open Day. :u:

If you're torn between two universities, I'd advise you to look at the course as a whole. Look at the different modules that are on offer and think about which you'd most enjoy. I know unlike De Montfort, our website doesn't give you a synopsis of the modules - let me know if you'd like this and I'll get in touch with one of the lecturers for you.

On our course, we do offer a placement year which is really popular. This gives you a year of working in the industry which can really make the difference when it comes to graduating. I couldn't see this option mentioned on DMU's site, but it might be worth asking them if this is the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

It's also a good idea to consider facilities and overall reputation. Our course scored 93% on overall student satisfaction on NSS 2018, our course is accedited by Creative Skillset (I think DMU's may be too) and we've also got really cool kit, including our Epic Games Lab. We're also members of TIGA. I'd definitely suggest taking a look at what DMU has and comparing.

Hopefully that all helps and gives you something to consider. Please give me a shout if we can help with anything else or if you have any other questions :smile:

Thanks

Amy

Hi @Staffordshire University if I could get a synopsis of the modules that'd be fantastic thank you! :biggrin:
Hi @LordOfBacon,
We'll get in touch with a lecturer of the course today and get back to you as soon as we have a response.
In the meantime, any other questions - feel free to fire away and we'll help as much as possible! :smile:

Thanks,
Harriet
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @LordOfBacon,
We'll get in touch with a lecturer of the course today and get back to you as soon as we have a response.
In the meantime, any other questions - feel free to fire away and we'll help as much as possible! :smile:

Thanks,
Harriet

Hi @LordOfBacon

We've just heard back from the lecturer on this one. Please find the info below:

Year 1:

Fundamentals of Game and Graphical Systems:

This module is an introduction to programming for graphical systems and games, the underpinning theory, and the commercial context of game development. You will learn about the game industry, platforms, genres, development processes, 2D and 3D graphical theory, and game programming techniques. You will get hands-on experience in developing and manipulating 2D images and 3D computer models, and creating games. You will be introduced to the most widely used language in the game industry, C++, and use it to create an interactive 3D application using suitable data structures.

Professional and Business Skills

You will learn that every software development team needs to understand the processes, procedures and polices of how that development team was recruited and is utilised in the company.

You will learn to analyse, design and build a database application relevant to the games industry.

Fundamentals of Computing and Mathematics

Most people are now well used to the ubiquitous use of computers but most still regard a computer as a box that runs Windows(TM) and have no real idea how they actually work. This module will consider the various components that make up a modern computer and their relevance / importance.

The module will also consider how we are moving to network solutions, in particular the benefits of cloud computing and how servers are used to provide remote solutions.

This module will also introduce you to the basic quantitative concepts you will need for further study on your computing degree.

Games Engine Creation

In this module, students learn how to build a custom 2D game engine for a 2D game from scratch using C++, SDL and object-oriented techniques.

Year 2:

Further Games and Graphics Concepts:

This module extends the basic game development concepts you were introduced to in year 1 by investigating techniques and mechanisms used to implement 3D computer games in greater depth. The focus is on the incremental application of mathematical fundamentals using current graphics APIs embedded into a C++ framework. The fundamentals of underlying components used in game architecture are systematically applied to key physics and AI problems using low level techniques and algorithms typically used in the game in the games sector.

Further Maths and Algorithms:

The module extends the fundamentals of computing and mathematics module to develop the theoretical principles underpinning games programming including the understanding of complexity in association with algorithm development.

The main mathematical concepts you will meet enable the understanding of key operations and features prevalent in computer games to facilitate their encoding and development in algorithmic form.

The data structures investigated are key concepts in optimised game structures, AI techniques and algorithmic methods.

Technical Games Production:

This module develops your ability to design, program and document well engineered, polished games. You will learn how to apply game principles, object-oriented techniques and software engineering practices to design and structure your code, and you will explore the practices and methodologies used to create games for global markets. You will be encouraged to develop your professional portfolio, and reflect on your progression towards your career goals.

Concurrent Network Applications:

This module will introduce you to: C# programming language; the important Software Engineering concept of concurrency; and client-server applications that are distributed over a network.

Year 3

Group Game Development Project and Work-based Simulation

The module is a group project incorporating inter-disciplinary team development simulating working practices employed in the games industry. The groups are intended to be around 8-10 in size with a structure emulating roles prevalent in small-to-medium game development projects. The focus of the module is on the adoption of agile software development emulating the phases of production and release of an appropriate scale video game.

Each team will develop strategies for determining the market for the product and consider the implications of marketing the finalised work for its intended market. An understanding of studio roles and workflow will be engendered through the practical application to the simulated environment.

Ultimately the reflection on team working, management structures and market demand will allow an understanding of professionalism in the graduate environment and the key concepts of employability, entrepreneurship and enterprise.

Low-level Games Programming

This is a 15-credit module which explores the structure and execution mechanisms of a variety of gaming platforms (PCs, consoles and handheld devices) and peripherals. Concentrating on console development it includes an investigation into how platform architecture influences performance, and how to design profile and optimise code to avoid bottlenecks and maximise efficiency. Optimising performance and making the most of device capabilities is important for developers of games, particularly to successfully exploit multi-core architecture or cope with the constraints provided by mobile and handheld devices.

Final Year Project

The overall aim of the project module is to provide an opportunity for you to undertake a significant task on an individual basis and to showcase your talents gained throughout your award in a practical manner.

Hope that all helps! Please give me a shout if we can help with anything else :smile:

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending