The Student Room Group

Advice on A Level Choices

I'd quite like to do a psychology degree at university, and I've narrowed my A Level options down to 5.

- Psychology (OCR)
- Biology (AQA)
- Geography (AQA)
- English Literature (Equdas/WJEC)
- Religious Studies (AQA)

Now I've decided that I'm definitely doing Psychology, as it's better to get a feel for the subject if I really want to take it at uni. I've also decided to take Biology, as I know Psychology does contain aspects of Biopsychology.

That leaves my options down to Geography, English Literature and Religious Studies. I'm doing well in all 3 at GCSE level, with RS being my strongest subject. If anyone has any advice for me or opinions about the exam board, then I would be greatly appreciated.
which one do you enjoy the most? youre going to really struggle if you dont enjoy the subject as you go into a lot of detail
Reply 2
I do geography and it’s a very content heavy subject, as well as a subject requiring lots of extra research and reading articles and finding extra case studies not in the textbook if you really want to aim for the A/A*, and for the literature review of the NEA. The NEA coursework part is 20% of the a level, often consisting of a week long field trip excursion to somewhere in the middle of nowhere (we went to Wales) and is frustrating as there’s so much catching up to do as you miss a week of school. I’d say only take geography if you’re really interested in it and will be prepared to create revision resources and read articles whilst also doing homework for it, and maintaining coursework all thoughout year 12 and 13. Human geography can complement psychology well especially regarding place perception and psychogeography which may be of interest to you.
Original post by ebeck7049
which one do you enjoy the most? youre going to really struggle if you dont enjoy the subject as you go into a lot of detail

I really do enjoy all 3, but I would say I love RS the most! But I know that it's not a facillitating subject, so I'm not sure whether I would be better off doing Geography or English Literature - which I also enjoy.
Original post by ThePositivePanda
I really do enjoy all 3, but I would say I love RS the most! But I know that it's not a facillitating subject, so I'm not sure whether I would be better off doing Geography or English Literature - which I also enjoy.

Don't worry about the facilitating subject issue - people get confused about it but if you are choosing Psychology and Biology, it doesn't really matter what the third subject is. If you love RS the most, you should choose that subject because you are likely to get a better grade in it than something you don't enjoy as much, and that is what's important.

i think if you enjoy rs the most you should go for that, maybe look over the a level course content and see which one interests you the most
Reply 6
I'd quite like to do a psychology degree at university, and I've narrowed my A Level options down to 5.

- Psychology (OCR)
- Biology (AQA)
- Geography (AQA)

Now I've decided that I'm definitely doing Psychology, as it's better to get a feel for the subject if I really want to take it at uni. I've also decided to take Biology, as I know Psychology does contain aspects of Biopsychology.

That leaves my options down to Geography, English Literature and Religious Studies. I'm doing well in all 3 at GCSE level, with RS being my strongest subject. If anyone has any advice for me or opinions about the exam board, then I would be greatly appreciated.

Psychology, RS, and English Lit
I’m doing geography and I’m in year 13, it’s content heavy but not as bad as biology. It’s easily my favourite subject and picking it made me realise I wanted to do a career in geology rather than going down a biochem route. And tbh as long as you listen to the news it’s not difficult to pick up extra information and stuff to get the A/A* and many of the modules are interconnected for example I’m doing weather and climate, energy and water and carbon and theres case studies I can use for all 3 of them so I only need one. (Also you get to go on geography trips which is fun) it’s one of those subjects I just get enjoyment out of because it’s got all the science based content with also the humanity side to it and I don’t mind the essay writing. I fully recommend it
Reply 8

- Psychology (OCR)
- Biology (AQA)
- Geography (AQA)

Since your subjects are essay based, I'd suggest taking English Lierature to develop your essay skills, as your uni course will also require essay skills. If you feel like you're already good at essays and instead want a grade to fall back on in case anything goes wrong, then go for RS.

Quick Reply

Latest