The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

F*** me, what's the point, of course you can grow out your bodily hair, doing so doesn't make you a pioneer for women's rights lol.
80% of it isnt news
90% of it is propaganda

The BBC needs to be defunded or atleast heavily culled to save itself
Reply 3
Original post by TheNamesBond.
F*** me, what's the point, of course you can grow out your bodily hair, doing so doesn't make you a pioneer for women's rights lol.

‘I’m not looking for approval’

Yes you are. No one cares whether you want to grow your body hair or not - the people who do are reacting based on their likes and dislikes, and it shouldn’t affect in you in such a way that you find the need to seek approval and recognition from society and the mainstream media.

It’s pathetic.
Reply 4
Oh no, a human interest story. How dare they...
its not the existnace of articles like that (light-weigh progressive buzzfeed type articles) that I dislike.. Its fine to have them, they clearly have an audiance.

But, frequently I see them on the front page of the BBC website - right at the top.. near some major story, and wonder if they are trying to push these things as more of a priority then they are..

I cant remember exactly the artciels but its been things like this:

Main story - thousand starving in X country
Seondary stories - Big economic news... Big media news... Big sports news... A girl in a school in germany read a poem that we think is racist.

That was the one that really pissed me off.. one girl in a german school read a poem that was a bit racist. Not anyone important, not an influencial person or a media person, just one random school girl. And this in the 5th most important stories around the whole world?

Same with today.. trump news, climate change news, media news, travelhistory article... and a few people who didn't shave for a month
its not the existnace of articles like that (light-weigh progressive buzzfeed type articles) that I dislike.. Its fine to have them, they clearly have an audiance, and you want a diverse range of content on the website

But, frequently I see them on the front page of the BBC website - right at the top.. near some major story, and wonder if they are trying to push these things as more of a priority then they are..

Seondary stories - Big economic news... Big media news... Big sports news... A girl in a school in germany read a poem that we think is racist.

That was the one that really pissed me off.. one girl in a german school read a poem that was a bit racist. Not anyone important, not an influencial person or a media person, just one random school girl. And this in the 5th most important stories around the whole world?

Same with today.. trump news, climate change news, media news, travelhistory article... and a few people who didn't shave for a month
Original post by fallen_acorns
its not the existnace of articles like that (light-weigh progressive buzzfeed type articles) that I dislike.. Its fine to have them, they clearly have an audiance.

This.

It just ain't newsworthy. Some hipsters didn't shave for a while... Who the hell cares?

So why are they promoting this story? Because the editors are publicising feminist statements instead of reporting on actual news.

Also, this "Look at me and how I'm not shaving! I'm defying a grooming norm! Take that, society!" thing is rather puerile. Yes, you didn't shave for a month. Well done. Good for you. You're practically a suffragette. You're a freaking feminist hero. Here's a cookie.
Reply 8
The BBC does seem to be slowly morphing into something resembling buzzfeed.

They recently went crazy for vegan based topics and before that they were jumping on the transsexual bandwagon. Now this...
You don't have to read it.

Do you think it's trash because it covered the story or do you think it's trash because of the nature of the story itself?

Thousands of articles get published through the BBC and not all of them are going to interest you. They might, God forbid, interest other people.

If you wish to make the argument that the BBC should focus it's money/efforts on stories which are more important than hairy armpits then fair enough. That said I don't see you complaining about:

- An article with nothing but pictures of dogs.
- An article about someone who wants to surf in the cold.
- An article about people standing to see the royals.
- An article about a drunk man at McDonalds.

These are all articles from today. Let's keep it consistent if you want the BBC to report on only 'important' matters.

Original post by Dandaman1
So why are they promoting this story? Because the editors are publicising feminist statements instead of reporting on actual news.

What makes you think they're 'promoting' this story? It's not like it's the front page (at least not currently). The most 'exposed' it is is on the page for news in England almost at the bottom amongst other features. Editors clearly aren't "publicising feminist statements instead of reporting on actual news" given that pretty much everything else on the website is actual news.
Hopefully the BBC continues this trend so it will make getting rid of it easier in the future.
Original post by Libtardian
Hopefully the BBC continues this trend so it will make getting rid of it easier in the future.

You don't have to fund the BBC it you don't want to.
Original post by Decahedron
You don't have to fund the BBC it you don't want to.

Which I don't, but that also means you can't watch live TV (legally).
Could someone please tell me why there is so much angst for this story?
Loving the outrage and denunciation. Pitchforks.from the mob.
Original post by Libtardian
Which I don't, but that also means you can't watch live TV (legally).

Well it means you can't watch THEIR live broadcasts, which is fair enough.
i thought this was a nice upbeat story. certainly easier to understand than the dense thickets of Brexit :teehee:

Laura looks lovely in the pic... one can imagine this Devonshire lass making delicious clotted cream on her farm etc etc

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/834/cpsprodpb/17AF2/production/_105401079_50687351_1093398077498939_6606634517090271232_n.jpg

***she looks like the lady in the TSR learning to drive picture

https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/5c501b38b9d7f/forum/images/cms/pod/30992-prev-car%20driving%20resized.png
(edited 5 years ago)
The BBC becomes less and less relevant with each passing day. Its entertainment output no longer beats the competition, and its news services are so biased to one narrow worldview as to be terminally compromised for much of the population. (The coverage of Brexit has been a particularly egregious disaster as far as the seventeen and a half million Leave voters are concerned). It is desperate to attract younger viewers and listeners and readers as its older ones die, but what it offers is often embarrassingly cringeworthy in the world of the web.

Above all its funding model is archaic and not fit for purpose in the modern world. It has got fat and lazy and complacent with this guaranteed income.

But people are starting to not renew the licence fee. This is behind a paywall, but you might get a bit of the picture even so...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/viewers-ditch-tv-licences-as-netflix-effect-takes-hold-fj3lfgk9c

Small numbers, for now, but telling. Unless the BBC renews itself for the modern age, and above all is true to its Charter vis a vis its news coverage, we are witnessing the beginning of a long slow decline, in my view, and since I despise the organisation so much I wouldn't pi$$ on it if it were on fire, the end (or rebirth into something worthwhile) can't come soon enough.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by generallee
The BBC becomes less and less relevant with each passing day. Its entertainment output no longer beats the competition, and its news services are so biased to one narrow worldview as to be terminally compromised for much of the population. (The coverage of Brexit has been a particularly egregious disaster as far as the seventeen and a half million Leave voters are concerned). It is desperate to attract younger viewers and listeners and readers as its older ones die, but what it offers is often embarrassingly cringeworthy in the world of the web.

Above all its funding model is archaic and not fit for purpose in the modern world. It has got fat and lazy and complacent with this guaranteed income.

But people are starting to not renew the licence fee. This is behind a paywall, but you might get a bit of the picture even so...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/viewers-ditch-tv-licences-as-netflix-effect-takes-hold-fj3lfgk9c

Small numbers, for now, but telling. Unless the BBC renews itself for the modern age, and above all is true to its Charter vis a vis its news coverage, we are witnessing the beginning of a long slow decline, in my view, and since I despise the organisation so much I wouldn't pi$$ on it if it were on fire, the end (or rebirth into something worthwhile) can't come soon enough.

:yawn:

Latest

Trending

Trending