The Student Room Group

The Warwick drama continues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47072323

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47060367

I’ve seen a couple of Friends post this around so I’m not surprised it’s getting viral again.
Personally I’m disappointed that the students are coming back even after what happened
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it is pretty clear that the chat was not infact a groupchat of people looking to rape a whole apartment full of people but probably them making a joke that should not have left the chat, most people including me have said things that if presented without any context would probably be enough to expell us or get them serioiusly in trouble. Do I think they should have said it, meh it certainly doesnt look good buy I am sure there was context, do I think they should have been expelled, hard one to say the bad publicity would be uh... bad but I would have personally warned them/everyone that what you say online is recorded.
Original post by Professional G
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47072323

I’ve seen a couple of Friends post this around so I’m not surprised it’s getting viral again.
Personally I’m disappointed that the students are coming back even after what happened

did they actually rape or hurt anyone? Or is there a credible reason to think they would have? e.g. how they acted in the past, previous sexual harrassment etc?

Or is it just a few stupd boys saying awful things online that they wouldn't actually do in person?

Genuinly asking, because I didn't see the original part of this story, and the article you linked only shows a little screen shot that isn't exactly conclusive.

If its the first, and it is a credible threat - they should be kicked out of uni, and monitored by the police.
If its the second and they are just a group of nerdy boys who aren't getting any sex, and say awful things online.. then a temporary ban is probably fitting.
Original post by fallen_acorns
did they actually rape or hurt anyone? Or is there a credible reason to think they would have? e.g. how they acted in the past, previous sexual harrassment etc?

Or is it just a few stupd boys saying awful things online that they wouldn't actually do in person?

Genuinly asking, because I didn't see the original part of this story, and the article you linked only shows a little screen shot that isn't exactly conclusive.

If its the first, and it is a credible threat - they should be kicked out of uni, and monitored by the police.
If its the second and they are just a group of nerdy boys who aren't getting any sex, and say awful things online.. then a temporary ban is probably fitting.

It’s more about boys talking about raping girls and literally describing how they would. Idk about you but if some guy was talking about my sister in that way, they wouldn’t get to see the light of day.
The point is in society today, women are more observant of certain events and are taken a stricter stand against things like this
Reply 4
Reform is far better medicine than total exclusion. If they've shown proper remorse for their actions then they ought to be given a second chance. From the sounds of it they'll be closely monitored upon their return, and I imagine if they do anything similar again there won't be any third chance for them, that'll be the end of their educational career.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think it is pretty clear that the chat was not infact a groupchat of people looking to rape a whole apartment full of people but probably them making a joke that should not have left the chat, most people including me have said things that if presented without any context would probably be enough to expell us or get them serioiusly in trouble. Do I think they should have said it, meh it certainly doesnt look good buy I am sure there was context, do I think they should have been expelled, hard one to say the bad publicity would be uh... bad but I would have personally warned them/everyone that what you say online is recorded.

One or two jokes aren’t told bad but the chat was full of them and it’s definintley wasn’t appropriate at all. I have many friends here at Warwick and even when we banister and hike, we know there’s a line between jokes and offensive rape jokes. I’m sorry but a standard has to be met. Idk many guys in real life who find jokes like these appropriate or even funny enough to repeat many times or even to go to more detail about.
Original post by Dez
Reform is far better medicine than total exclusion. If they've shown proper remorse for their actions then they ought to be given a second chance. From the sounds of it they'll be closely monitored upon their return, and I imagine if they do anything similar again there won't be any third chance for them, that'll be the end of their educational career.

But how will the girls feel? Especially the ones who were mentioned in the original group chat? Knowing that idiots who talked about them in a vulgar manner are allowed back to the same uni?
Original post by Dez

Their rape threats were posted on a private Facebook chat. The only reason anyone found out about them is because someone leaked them.

How can you "monitor" these students to prevent them from doing the same thing? I don't think they can force the students to add overseers to every private group chat they have.
Reply 8
But how will the girls feel? Especially the ones who were mentioned in the original group chat? Knowing that idiots who talked about them in a vulgar manner are allowed back to the same uni?

Justice must always be equal and fair. If we left victims to decide every criminal's sentence, it would cause chaos. And people can change, many teenagers do idiotic things that they grow out of a few years later. The feelings of the girls who were targeted must definitely be taken into account on this, but they are not the only factor at play, and their feelings alone cannot dictate the university's actions.
Common sense prevails. "I don't feel comfortable having them back in my seminar" -- now you're separated by a year or two, that won't be happening.
You were 12 back then. At least immature and at most edgy back then. These are 20/21 year olds making these jokes like they are 12 years old. They are supposed to behave like adults not immature teenagers. Honesty talking ******** like this is difficult to defend when the persons involved aren’t teenagers at all
You were 12 back then. At least immature and at most edgy back then. These are 20/21 year olds making these jokes like they are 12 years old. They are supposed to behave like adults not immature teenagers. Honesty talking ******** like this is difficult to defend when the persons involved aren’t teenagers at all

I make jokes that suggest I am 12, because they suggest I am 12 and that amuses me. I mean in the sense of puerile and ridiculous, rather than outright offensive (though I have a number of those under my belt as well). I find it funny because it's completely at odds with my professional and academic background and the face I present to the high-pressure world I live in.

I know that places like Warwick, high-pressure, are inhospitable and isolating. Having a laugh, based on inconsequential and irreverent humour, with like-minded people is a great relief from what you're suffering.

You suggest the frequency of the rape jokes means they're more serious than we might suspect. I put it another way: they found them funnier than you do, so sought to frequently make them.
If someone made bomb threats or joked about a replica style attack of Manchester on a private chat, from what has been suggested on this thread I suppose that would be okay.
Original post by Poooky
If someone made bomb threats or joked about a replica style attack of Manchester on a private chat, from what has been suggested on this thread I suppose that would be okay.

Yeah.
Original post by Poooky

Context, if it was a chat where someone said ugh I cant be bothered to go to lectures today, anyone mind blowing up the halls, you would probaby see that it is a joke, wheras it would be pretty easy to see if people were serious about stuff.

Its like when I say I am so hungry I would kill for some food you dont see my friends all calling the police about a potential murderer
Original post by AperfectBalance
Context, if it was a chat where someone said ugh I cant be bothered to go to lectures today, anyone mind blowing up the halls, you would probaby see that it is a joke, wheras it would be pretty easy to see if people were serious about stuff.

Its like when I say I am so hungry I would kill for some food you dont see my friends all calling the police about a potential murderer

In what context is it acceptable/understandable to say that you're going to rape someone?

Granted I myself don't find jokes about rape funny. From the sound of the story it wasn't just the odd joke either. I can understand the occassional twisted/sick joke but if it's something a lot more common then there could be some underlying problems. Might not be though.
Original post by Notoriety
Common sense prevails. "I don't feel comfortable having them back in my seminar" -- now you're separated by a year or two, that won't be happening.

At least one of the girls who was mentioned very graphically in the messages is on a year abroad, so when she returns to Warwick in September 2019 will be in third year just like the returning boys.
A chat like that can only be done anonymously if one wants to avoid oppression.
Original post by LeapingLucy
At least one of the girls who was mentioned very graphically in the messages is on a year abroad, so when she returns to Warwick in September 2019 will be in third year just like the returning boys.

They were suspended in early 2018 and given finally their punishments in May 2018, so one imagines they did not sit year 2 exams. They're to return in Sept 2019, presumably in year 2.

NB this reduction in punishment affects 2 of the students involved, of the 11. Not all of them made references to sexual violence in their jokes; at least one named made racist references only.
(edited 5 years ago)
Maybe Warwick's breezy attitude to rape 'jokes' will show in falling applications and falling status, let's hope so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending